Register to Comment
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

When the first four irregulars were shot among them Rory O'Connor, Kevin O'Higgins was accused in the Dail of engaging in vengeance. He shouted across the floor of the Dail in a voice full of emotion, "Vengeance, Good God, one of these men was my friend." Before he died he also asked forgiveness for his killers. A very controversial figure, but also an extraordinary man. His father, an old man, was also murdered.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by john scott View Post
    When the first four irregulars were shot among them Rory O'Connor, Kevin O'Higgins was accused in the Dail of engaging in vengeance. He shouted across the floor of the Dail in a voice full of emotion, "Vengeance, Good God, one of these men was my friend." Before he died he also asked forgiveness for his killers. A very controversial figure, but also an extraordinary man. His father, an old man, was also murdered.
    With friends like him ...

Quote Originally Posted by louis bernard View Post
    A terrible pity his murderers were never caught, if I had been around then it would have given me great pleasure to hang them myself.
    lovely guy.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post

If only he had of joined Collins and O'Higgins.
    In a relationship with Lady Lavery

Quote Originally Posted by louis bernard View Post
    A terrible pity his murderers were never caught, if I had been around then it would have given me great pleasure to hang them myself.
    Robert Erskine Childers made his son Erskine H Childers promise that he would shake the hands of the men who sign his death warrant. I believe Erskine was 16/17 years old at that stage, a daunting task for one so young. When Erskine approached Kevin O' Higgins office, Mr Higgins had the boy searched, afraid it was an assassination attempt. Men of character such as Robert Childers are few and far between.

Story I heard was that Gannon, Doyle and Coughlan were on way to Wexford to see Dublin match and they just happened upon O'Higgins. Although why they were carrying weapons on way to match is another thing!

It was not sanctioned by IRA and Gannon was a member of the Communist group in Dublin and later was a leading member of CP and the main Irish organiser for the International Brigades in Spanish Civil War. I think Coughlan was later shot dead by a Special Branch informer?

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    His role in the Irish Civil War had still not been forgotten or forgiven by many Republicans. He had taken the side of those supporting the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921, which included an Oath of Fidelity to the British King. While a brilliant Minister and a shrewd politician he was also a man of ruthless determination. His decision to acquiesce in the execution of the best man at his own wedding, Rory O’Conner, was seen as a particularly hard act. He was viewed by quite a number of people as the most forceful personality in the Cumann na nGaedheal government. As a result of this legacy of bitterness plans were laid by a small group of Republicans to carry out an attempt on his life.
    He's always been blamed for the execution of Rory O'Connor and the other three. However it wasn't his idea and except for Joseph McGrath he was the last member of the cabinet to agree to it. There is the argument that it fell within his area of Justice, but still.

He also broke down in the Dail when defending the decision, which shows of course that he was human and the tragedy of the period.

Quote Originally Posted by john scott View Post
    He was. The Anti-Treaty IRA came to his house, burnt him out and then shot him, simply because he was Kevin O'Higgins's father.

Quote Originally Posted by Galloper Thompson View Post
    If I had been around, I may have shot the Fukr myself, without any worries about the likes of you........................
    You do realise that you can't actually shoot people with a keyboard, don't you? You'd need a joystick at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Galloper Thompson View Post
    If I had been around, I may have shot the Fukr myself, without any worries about the likes of you........................
    And the last face you would have seen was mine, as I pulled the bag over your head. And the last voice you would have heard was Thomas Pierrepoint's as he said "You're doing well so far lad, now pull the lever".

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment