Register to Comment
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

This day in Irish History 1152 AD - The Synod of Kells was concluded on this day

6 March 1152: The Synod of Kells/Ceannas Mor was concluded on this day. This great gathering of the churchmen of Ireland was presided over by the Papal Legate Cardinal Paparoni, sent by Pope Eugene III to conduct the proceedings . The purpose of the Synod was to continue the Reform of the Irish Church begun at the Synod of Rathbrassill that was held in 1111 AD. These changes followed closely the reforms that were underway on the Continent. In Ireland the most visible aspect was the reorganisation of the Church along clearly set out strict Diocesan lines with a Bishop or Archbishop having a defined territory of jurisdiction.

This synod approved the consecration of four archbishops, where before there had been two. Ireland was divided into thirty-six sees, and four metropolitan sees: Armagh, Cashel, Tuam, and Dublin. Armagh was granted Primacy. The diocese of Dublin, ruled by the Ostmen (Danes), seceded from Canterbury and was united with Glendalough.
    Turlough O'Connor/Tairrdelbach Ua Conchobair, the High King of Ireland, approved the decrees, and the pallia (cloaks of office) were conferred by the Papal Legate Cardinal Giovanni Paparoni. This territorial structure of ecclesiastical governence has continued down to the present day and in its basic form is the template still used by both the Catholic and Anglican Churches in Ireland.

There has been some confusion as to the actual location of this synod. The Annals of the Four Masters say Drogheda, but the 17th Century Historian Geoffrey Keating, quoting an old book that is no longer extant, gave Kells as the location. It is probable that there were two separate sessions of this synod. The first was held at Kells and concluded by March 6; it then reconvened at Mellifont, near Drogheda, around Sunday, March 9, and concluded on Palm Sunday (March 23). It is not known how the business of the synod was divided between the two sessions, but it is likely that episcopal consecrations took place later at Mellifont and that the four pallia were then distributed to the archbishops at the last sitting on Palm Sunday.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Catalpa I do enjoy these "this day in ireland " Posts . I find them very informative and interesting keep the good work up. I remember as a young boy at school our 4 "houses" were Armagh , Dublin , Tuam, and Cashel.

Quote Originally Posted by derryman View Post
    Catalpa I do enjoy these "this day in ireland " Posts . I find them very informative and interesting keep the good work up. I remember as a young boy at school our 4 "houses" were Armagh , Dublin , Tuam, and Cashel.
    You say four "houses". In my drinking days in Thurles I used meet a lovely woman and she would speak of four "gentlemen". Johnny Walker, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and I can't for the life of me remember the fourth one. She was a lovely woman, a bit of a character but very respectable and decent. She was very popular in the pub we would drink in and as the night would go on different people would send her over a glass of whiskey and not involve her in a "round". If I hadn't been in her company the night before I would ask her what sort of a night had she previous, and she would say " A right night Jack, I had the four gentlemen in front of me at closing time.

Quote Originally Posted by zippo222 View Post
    You say four "houses". In my drinking days in Thurles I used meet a lovely woman and she would speak of four "gentlemen". Johnny Walker, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and I can't for the life of me remember the fourth one. She was a lovely woman, a bit of a character but very respectable and decent. She was very popular in the pub we would drink in and as the night would go on different people would send her over a glass of whiskey and not involve her in a "round". If I hadn't been in her company the night before I would ask her what sort of a night had she previous, and she would say " A right night Jack, I had the four gentlemen in front of me at closing time.
    Arthur Guiness???

Thanks

I first started collating all this information the last time I was out of a job back in 2006/2007 and it just grew from there...

As I am currently on Sick Leave for a couple of months I have a bit more time to put up posts now

With the major Annals now available online @ the CELT site it is possible to reach even further back into our History through teh use of the Internet and retrieve information from the Ancient and Medieval periods

CELT: The online resource for Irish history, literature and politics

Arthur Guiness???
    Ha. No. She was a "top shelf" lady. (And it wasn't John Jameson either.)

Ha. No. She was a "top shelf" lady. (And it wasn't John Jameson either.)
    What has this got to do with the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    What has this got to do with the OP?
    Absoluely nothing. It was just that derryman's mention of "four houses" triggered off a memory of a much happier time in my life and I automatically responded to it. I beg your pardon.

I knew the 4 houses refferred to the 4 arch diocese but now i know the history behind it. I wish we had been taught this at school rather than the History of a foreign country.

Absoluely nothing. It was just that derryman's mention of "four houses" triggered off a memory of a much happier time in my life and I automatically responded to it. I beg your pardon.
    No probs!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment