Register to Comment
Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Journalists' failure to expose clerical abuse of children.

Kevin Myers: Any senator or TD who tried to raise the issue of clerical child abuse in the Dail would have been shouted down - Kevin Myers, Columnists - Independent.ie

For much of that time, any senator or TD who tried to raise the issue of clerical child abuse in the Dail would have been shouted down or ruled out of order; and any journalist who wrote about it would have been destroyed in the libel courts.

SO, many traditions within democratic Ireland allowed this abuse to go on, and to blame just one of them now is to exonerate those other parts which were passively complicit, either through neglect, indolence, cowardice or political convenience: namely, journalism, politics, An Garda Siochana and the courts.
    Myers refers to several parts of society that failed to investigate clerical abuse of children much sooner. For this thread, I am focusing on journalism.

In a previous thread that I had started, about the Brendan Smyth controversy, in the History forum, I was asked why I would find it to believe that a member of the Catholic hierarchy would go as far as committing perjury to cover up clerical abuse of children.
    The Brendan Smyth extradition controversy.
    Even though an oath in a civil court may be outside canon law, it is still an oath that is sworn by almighty God. Therefore, IMO, a the swearing by a witness that they will tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth
    is blasphemous as well as criminal.

Galwayman exonerated on false rape claim
    In this thread, Andrew 49 writes about former Evening Herald's editor Brian Quinn's regret for not investigating the Artane industrial school.

Brian Quinn (former editor of the Evening Herald] describes how he witnessed:
    .... one of the worst of the Christian Brothers [Br. Joseph O'Connor director of the Artane Boys Band] break into the office of the manager and demand that a court case that mentioned Artane should not be used. Before the manager could lift a phone he [O'Connor] would push open the editorial door to tell us the manager had instructed that the case be dumped. O'Connor got away with this just one more time. On the third time of demanding the manager, who was the most honourable and dedicated to ethics, said no, as he was not going to interfere with the editors any mor on behalf of Artane.
    All that the Herald was planning to do was report a court case. What was Mr Quinn afraid that O'Connor would do if the story about the court case had been published? It's not as if O'Connor had the capacity to have him bundled into a car in a Gestapo-style abduction and then have him shot. "Christian Brothers" did not carry guns.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

There was a story I heard years ago that there was a high powered paedophile ring operating for years in this country. No names were mentioned but the pesonalities involved were all "pilars of society". I never believed it TBH but then the revelations came flooding out and I thougt you know maybe there was something to it.

It would certainly explain why for many years clerical abuse was hushed up and ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    There was a story I heard years ago that there was a high powered paedophile ring operating for years in this country. No names were mentioned but the pesonalities involved were all "pilars of society". I never believed it TBH but then the revelations came flooding out and I thougt you know maybe there was something to it.

It would certainly explain why for many years clerical abuse was hushed up and ignored.
    I recall watching a report on Prime Time 10 years ago, in which a woman said that, when she was a girl. she was sexually abused and burned with cigarettes by "respectable citizens", including a priest, a garda and republicans. She had allegedly been threatened that the garda involved would put her behind bars. The DPP decided not to prosecute.

It suits infidel Labourites [God I sound like Ian Paisley]like Quinn who've been in public life since the mid seventies to piggyback Abuse Redress with their wish to minimise religion in the State.It is sickening how we ,who bought and paid for our own Parish property when times were very tough,to hand the keys and deeds over to ''Mr Holocaust Education Ireland'.

It can be a sick world alright... and unfortunately for prolonged periods Ireland was a very sick country.

Regarding journalists - in Ireland they have been and continue to be far too cosy with and close to the 'establishment'.

In fact in many cases they are part of the 'establishment' which is why sites like this provide an important counter balance.

Journalists were responsible for their cowardice as were politicians and the Gards but it cannot detract from the guilt the RCC and other religions must shoulder. The church more than any other institution was meant to uphold the moral and ethical values of our society, their failure to do that and the fear of the church that in reality existed in many communities meant not only that the abuse continued but because pedophilia has been described as a learned perversion it actually grew. Its not unreasonable to believe that some, thankfully few, children abused by the priests went on to become abusers, indeed its possible most of the abusive priests were in turn abused when they were children.

The Catholic Church sex-abuse scandal is proof of the damage that results from letting an organisation have too much power. Voters should bear this in mind in the run-up to the "Children's Rights" referendum. No organisation - religious or secular - should have the power to take children away from their parents without sufficient evidence that children are being harmed by their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    Kevin Myers: Any senator or TD who tried to raise the issue of clerical child abuse in the Dail would have been shouted down - Kevin Myers, Columnists - Independent.ie

Myers refers to several parts of society that failed to investigate clerical abuse of children much sooner. For this thread, I am focusing on journalism.

In a previous thread that I had started, about the Brendan Smyth controversy, in the History forum, I was asked why I would find it to believe that a member of the Catholic hierarchy would go as far as committing perjury to cover up clerical abuse of children.
    The Brendan Smyth extradition controversy.
    Even though an oath in a civil court may be outside canon law, it is still an oath that is sworn by almighty God. Therefore, IMO, a the swearing by a witness that they will tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth
    is blasphemous as well as criminal.

Galwayman exonerated on false rape claim
    In this thread, Andrew 49 writes about former Evening Herald's editor Brian Quinn's regret for not investigating the Artane industrial school.

All that the Herald was planning to do was report a court case. What was Mr Quinn afraid that O'Connor would do if the story about the court case had been published? It's not as if O'Connor had the capacity to have him bundled into a car in a Gestapo-style abduction and then have him shot. "Christian Brothers" did not carry guns.
    When I was a kid I saw the Bishops big black chaufeur driven car stopped outside someone's home on two seperate occassions and the man of the house practically frogmarched out to the car by the chaufeur, then driven off.

By the end of the day the person from that house would be the most evil person in the parish. Within a couple of days that person would be attacked by locals.

The power that the church had was real, even though it only existed in the minds of the ordinary citizens. It was the people who gave that power to the church.

I can't imagine that happening today, but Irish people still have a long way to go, to throw of the shackles they have on there own minds, regarding the church.

Quote Originally Posted by pippakin View Post
    Journalists were responsible for their cowardice as were politicians and the Gards but it cannot detract from the guilt the RCC and other religions must shoulder. The church more than any other institution was meant to uphold the moral and ethical values of our society, their failure to do that and the fear of the church that in reality existed in many communities meant not only that the abuse continued but because pedophilia has been described as a learned perversion it actually grew. Its not unreasonable to believe that some, thankfully few, children abused by the priests went on to become abusers, indeed its possible most of the abusive priests were in turn abused when they were children.
    Child abuse is the elephant in the living room that Ireland still has to face up to.

I don't believe Ireland has faced the full scale of the problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    When I was a kid I saw the Bishops big black chaufeur driven car stopped outside someone's home on two seperate occassions and the man of the house practically frogmarched out to the car by the chaufeur, then driven off.

By the end of the day the person from that house would be the most evil person in the parish. Within a couple of days that person would be attacked by locals.
    Why was he practically frogmarched to the Bishop's car? Why would this young man have been then regarded as the most evil person in the parish?

Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment