Register to Comment
Page 43 of 75 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Like Tree323Likes

Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    At the time Ireland constituted a large part of the Total UK population. But as Ireland became depopulated in the 19th century the portion of Irish in the british army declined sharply.
    It would be interesting to see representation in British Army in contrast to population. Never thought about that before. Thanks. However the 1830 stat is interesting considering a mere 30 odd years before that no Irishman could bear arms.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by tokkie View Post
    It would be interesting to see representation in British Army in contrast to population. Never thought about that before. Thanks. However the 1830 stat is interesting considering a mere 30 odd years before that no Irishman could bear arms.
    There's a Kerry fella, nice guy, doing research on this at the moment - can't remember his name and don't think it's my right to give it out anyway. He's looking at the Irish in the British army at the turn of the century and a bit on either side. Very interesting stats regarding which countries - Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales - had the highest percentage of killed and wounded in the Boer War iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    By the way, the RBL (ROI & NI) are hosting a public event in the Boyne Heritage Centre this coming weekend along with members of the IDF if anyone is interested in going.
    I'll go when I see the RBL at Bodenstown or Arbour Hill. I won't be holding my breath though. "Inclusiveness" tends to be one way.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamusNapoleon View Post
    It's amusing that, in the 1980s and 90s, openly wearing an Easter lily would draw the unwelcome attention of our state constabulary, whereas I cannot envisage such a reaction to the wearing of the poppy.
    Very true I'm sure Sťamus, but then again the Royal British Legion aren't robbing banks and shooting at Guards now, are they?

Quote Originally Posted by SeamusNapoleon View Post
    There's a Kerry fella, nice guy, doing research on this at the moment - can't remember his name and don't think it's my right to give it out anyway. He's looking at the Irish in the British army at the turn of the century and a bit on either side. Very interesting stats regarding which countries - Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales - had the highest percentage of killed and wounded in the Boer War iirc.
    There was something on telly a year or 2 ago and I remember them saying that even in to modern time, the sound of an Irish accent would put fear in to old Boers. What the hell did we do to them to get that reaction?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtharper View Post
    Very true I'm sure Sťamus, but then again the Royal British Legion aren't robbing banks and shooting at Guards now, are they?
    Yeah but their members were quare fellas back i the day..

Mau Mau torture claim Kenyans win right to sue British government | World news | The Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by eskrimador View Post
    There was something on telly a year or 2 ago and I remember them saying that even in to modern time, the sound of an Irish accent would put fear in to old Boers. What the hell did we do to them to get that reaction?
    Shot the hoers..I mean Boers.

Quote Originally Posted by ocoonassa View Post
    They asked the whole of the UK to vote. I think more than giving in to Unionist armed treason they were trying to avert a bloodbath.
    No they gave into Unionist armed treason no more, no less. Or do you and your new found friend think the UVF brought in 30000 snowballs and 3 million bibles into Larne from Germany. If you are going to debate with someone have the decency to stick to the facts. The Unionists defied the ballot box with German guns ergo they were engaged in treason against the Government and the outcome of the election and it's meaning. End of story.

Padraig Yeates has written a book recently on Dublin in WWI, his thoughts on the subject are here.

Book review here.

He argues that most Irish recruitment was non-ideological -ie mainly economically motivated wit hte exception of unionists and a minority of Home Rulers.

He also argues that the idea that the WWI were 'airbrushed out of history' is wrong-headed as there were very large comemorations until the Seocnd World War when the Irish govenment banned all public events for security reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    No they gave into Unionist armed treason no more, no less.
    Once they'd let everybody get tooled up they had no choice but to give into demands. Do you think that the 'war' of not even independence was armed treason? Were the UK Government wrong to give into it? Should they have brought in the proper army instead of police auxiliaries and treated the place as a proper war zone? World opinion would have gone mental at them, same if they did the same on the Unionists. Like I say they were lax idiots to give everybody the freedom to form private armed militias but once they'd done that they had a duty to avert a huge bloodbath even if it meant taking decisions that they really didn't want to take.

Page 43 of 75 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment