Register to Comment
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Russell Murphy

Just read this peice from today's IT bringing back memories.
    April 13th, 1984 - The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 13, 2011

I actually found it hilarious. For those who can't remember, or don't know, Murphy was an accountant and the Bernie Madoff of his day, whose practice included a couple of celebrities in Hugh Leonard and Gay Byrne. He was so successful and charming that these two gullible fools handed over all of their financial dealings to him. Gay Byrne once admitted to seeing Murphy at the races at Leopardstown with a very glamorous woman on each arm and when he asked how it was going was assured by Murphy "things have never been better".
    On his death both Byrne and Leonard lionised the man, vide Leonard's eulogy printed in today's paper. When the dust settled it appeared that both men were effectively left penniless. This lead to Gaybo threatening to walk away from RTE unless he received a massive pay increase which of course he received. It's probably because of the actions of Murphy that we are still having to endure Byrne on the radio and the television 10 years after he supposedly retired. As for Leonard, the hubris of that man lead him to take an action for defamation against The Phoenix magazine for publishing a piece about him which included the line "Ireland's most important playwright, according to himself".
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

He caught out uncle Gaybo badly. Thats why RTE are giving him nixers ever since he "retired"

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post

I actually found it hilarious. For those who can't remember, or don't know, Murphy was an accountant and the Bernie Madoff of his day, whose practice included a couple of celebrities in Hugh Leonard and Gay Byrne. He was so successful and charming that these two gullible fools handed over all of their financial dealings to him. Gay Byrne once admitted to seeing Murphy at the races at Leopardstown with a very glamorous woman on each arm and when he asked how it was going was assured by Murphy "things have never been better".
    On his death both Byrne and Leonard lionised the man, vide Leonard's eulogy printed in today's paper. When the dust settled it appeared that both men were effectively left penniless. This lead to Gaybo threatening to walk away from RTE unless he received a massive pay increase which of course he received. It's probably because of the actions of Murphy that we are still having to endure Byrne on the radio and the television 10 years after he supposedly retired. As for Leonard, the hubris of that man lead him to take an action for defamation against The Phoenix magazine for publishing a piece about him which included the line "Ireland's most important playwright, according to himself".
    He was something of a character about the town according to my Dad

- he wasn't really surprised when this all came out in the wash.

Yes, Murphy was aparently a daily communicant, and like many other financial and sexual criminals used the Catholic Church as a 'cover' for his nefarious and disgusting actions.

He regularly went to London and when he did so,he spent some time attending West End performances with a bevy of beauties on either side of him. Some 'un-kind' people described them as high class whores.

As for being a daily Mass-goer while plundering the savings of Byrne and Leonard and spending them on vicarious thrills in the night, there is an old saying which goes:

"If you have the 'reputation' of getting up at dawn, you can stay in bed until noon"

This aptly applied in Murphy's case, his daily religious practice cloaking a shameful and sordid life and lifestyle.

Grandfather of Eoghan Murphy TD (FG).

Gay Byrne was a total fool on this though. Imagine handing over all of your money to ANYONE, in this or any day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Stating the Obvious View Post
    Grandfather of Eoghan Murphy TD (FG).

Gay Byrne was a total fool on this though. Imagine handing over all of your money to ANYONE, in this or any day and age.
    I think you'll find greed was the motivating factor. In a lot of ways Murphy was an "Irish Madoff" except of course in the scale of it. Byrne said whenever he wanted any money, or to buy anything, the money was forthcoming which is the classic way these ponzi schemes work. Fortunately it seems these two were the biggest losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    He caught out uncle Gaybo badly. Thats why RTE are giving him nixers ever since he "retired"
    I think RTE's "generosity" towards Byrne has more to do with the fragile ratings of Tubridy and his ilk.

Murphy targeted people who had money, but who didn't earn it by being business savvy. Hence broadcasters, writers, musicians* etc.
    In order not to burden them with constant form signing, he kindly offered to take power of attorney over all their earthly possessions.
    I could tell a few more tales about the infamous R.M. but not here.

*Gilbert O'Sullivan was another client. I'm not sure how much he was out.

That was the greatest thing Russel Murphy did was to screw that thing gaybo. There should be a plaque put up at the gates of RTE.

Byrne said of him after his death he was a fantastic man, if he went into a bookshop and saw some expensive book he thought was interesting he would purchase 12 or so copies and have them delivered by taxi to friends of his.
    Byrne said he was a great man and friend he had received several books from him. Later on when the S#it hit the fan Byrne realized he had been paying for the books himself and the taxi fare. I do not think Byrne thought of him as a friend after that. I must say when I read that years ago I broke my heart laughing and still do. Fair play to you Russel. RIP.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment