Register to Comment
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    Murphy targeted people who had money, but who didn't earn it by being business savvy. Hence broadcasters, writers, musicians* etc.
    In order not to burden them with constant form signing, he kindly offered to take power of attorney over all their earthly possessions.
    I could tell a few more tales about the infamous R.M. but not here.

*Gilbert O'Sullivan was another client. I'm not sure how much he was out.
    Why not, he's dead?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

As I recall, RM's son Henry (a barrister) spent years paying back people defrauded by the father, on the grounds that it was a debt of honour. Fair play to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    Why not, he's dead?
    My late father was an employee of RM, and handled these accounts personally. Not to his own enrichment, I might add. None of his employees beneffited one iota nor did they know what was going on.
    But as a theatre fan himself, Murphy used to distribute free tickets to his staff (and probably a lot more people too) every Dublin Theatre Festival.

There's lots more, including actual dirt, but only in return for pints.

I think you'll find greed was the motivating factor. In a lot of ways Murphy was an "Irish Madoff" except of course in the scale of it. Byrne said whenever he wanted any money, or to buy anything, the money was forthcoming which is the classic way these ponzi schemes work. Fortunately it seems these two were the biggest losers.
    Sounds like a Des Traynor/Charles Haughey relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    That was the greatest thing Russel Murphy did was to screw that thing gaybo. There should be a plaque put up at the gates of RTE.
    It's very difficult to understand this kind of vituperation. Unless of course, that you have had a very bad personal experience at the hands of GB and you feel justified however right or wrong that may be on the facts of the situation.
    But, if the judgment is made on the basis of GB's work and life in the public domain, then I say that this is just crass and cannot be justified on any rational evaluation of the known track record of the man.
    Do the decent thing and retract it.
    Last edited by Abacus; 13th April 2011 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    My late father was an employee of RM, and handled these accounts personally. Not to his own enrichment, I might add. None of his employees beneffited one iota nor did they know what was going on.
    But as a theatre fan himself, Murphy used to distribute free tickets to his staff (and probably a lot more people too) every Dublin Theatre Festival.

There's lots more, including actual dirt, but only in return for pints.
    If he got free tickets then did he not benefit ?

Just read this peice from today's IT bringing back memories.
    April 13th, 1984 - The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 13, 2011

I actually found it hilarious. For those who can't remember, or don't know, Murphy was an accountant and the Bernie Madoff of his day, whose practice included a couple of celebrities in Hugh Leonard and Gay Byrne. He was so successful and charming that these two gullible fools handed over all of their financial dealings to him. Gay Byrne once admitted to seeing Murphy at the races at Leopardstown with a very glamorous woman on each arm and when he asked how it was going was assured by Murphy "things have never been better".
    On his death both Byrne and Leonard lionised the man, vide Leonard's eulogy printed in today's paper. When the dust settled it appeared that both men were effectively left penniless. This lead to Gaybo threatening to walk away from RTE unless he received a massive pay increase which of course he received. It's probably because of the actions of Murphy that we are still having to endure Byrne on the radio and the television 10 years after he supposedly retired. As for Leonard, the hubris of that man lead him to take an action for defamation against The Phoenix magazine for publishing a piece about him which included the line "Ireland's most important playwright, according to himself".
    I knew members of Murphy's family who had to endure terrible public humiliation because of him. Not funny for them.

As Gene Kerrigan pointed out, it was the first sign that something was seriously rotten in the Irish legal and financial elite. Haughey was basically Russell Murphy in politics. Not funny for us, either.

Who's laughing now?

Gay Byrne is a terrible, insufferable muppet, who was of course a big admirer of CJH and FF, making his fate at the hands of Murphy all the more ironic.

I wouldn't wish it on him though.

i cannot believe my eyes when i see the schadenfreude on display here.
    some posters atritude is GB got what he deserved.

these are the same posters that rant and rave on other threads how infair the terms of the bailout are.
    Gay Byrne is a greater man than any of you.

Just read this peice from today's IT bringing back memories.
    April 13th, 1984 - The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 13, 2011

I actually found it hilarious. For those who can't remember, or don't know, Murphy was an accountant and the Bernie Madoff of his day, whose practice included a couple of celebrities in Hugh Leonard and Gay Byrne. He was so successful and charming that these two gullible fools handed over all of their financial dealings to him. Gay Byrne once admitted to seeing Murphy at the races at Leopardstown with a very glamorous woman on each arm and when he asked how it was going was assured by Murphy "things have never been better".
    On his death both Byrne and Leonard lionised the man, vide Leonard's eulogy printed in today's paper. When the dust settled it appeared that both men were effectively left penniless. This lead to Gaybo threatening to walk away from RTE unless he received a massive pay increase which of course he received. It's probably because of the actions of Murphy that we are still having to endure Byrne on the radio and the television 10 years after he supposedly retired. As for Leonard, the hubris of that man lead him to take an action for defamation against The Phoenix magazine for publishing a piece about him which included the line "Ireland's most important playwright, according to himself".
    Yeah I saw this too its very funny

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment