Register to Comment

Black Tom Tyrant

Im reading into 1600s Ireland and a man called Thomas Wentworth, better known as 'Black Tom Tyrant'.

Charles I sent Wentworth to Ireland in 1625 to raise revenue in Ireland due to the war with Spain. He was to become hated during his time in Ireland as he continued the policy of plantations by seizing land based on old royal claims and offering it for rent. To get through many of his policies, he packed the Irish parliament with his own loyal deputies to pass through all his policies. He also also used the Castle Chamber to threaten or imprison his enemies. When he left Ireland, he left with an Irish army to march to the support of the King.

Later, Wentworth was arrested for charges of subverting law in England and Ireland. He was executed in 1641.

More information on him http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/biog/strafford.htm
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I believe he promoted the manufacturing of linen in Ireland as a means of raising revenue. It did not make him popular across the water.

Quote Originally Posted by kerdasi amaq View Post
    I believe he promoted the manufacturing of linen in Ireland as a means of raising revenue. It did not make him popular across the water.
    He took Catholic land to raise funds for the British monarchy, horrible man indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    Im reading into 1600s Ireland and a man called Thomas Wentworth, better known as 'Black Tom Tyrant'.... When he left Ireland, he left with an Irish army to march to the support of the King. Later, Wentworth was arrested for charges of subverting law in England and Ireland. He was executed in 1641.
    Thomas Wentworth, the Earl of Strafford, threatened to use the Irish army to subjue the English Parliament, but did not actually do so ("You have an army in Ireland you may employ here to reduce this Kingdom"). He was one of Charles I's most able supporters but, utter fool that he was, the incompetent Scottish king had Strafford executed when he returned to England.
    Last edited by euryalus; 23rd January 2011 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by euryalus View Post
    Thomas Wentworth, the Earl of Strafford, threatened to use the Irish army to subjue the English Parliament, but did not actually do so ("You have an army in Ireland you may employ here to reduce this Kingdom"). He was one of Charles I's most able supporters but, utter fool that he was, the incompetent Scottish king had Strafford executed when he returned to England.
    King Charles was foolish to execute him

- but he was pressurised into it by his Puritan opponents.

He felt very guilty about it afterwards...

Wentworth was very able

- and also very ruthless.

What goes round comes round I guess...

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment