Register to Comment
Page 75 of 94 FirstFirst ... 25 657374757677 85 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doyle View Post
    As above, you are labouring under a misconception, Nurses do not nor never did have a starting slary of 35K.
    On this point you are correct.

Nurses are not really on a "salary" they are hourly paid.

They have a starting basic of 31,875 plus allowances for Nights, weekends etc and they get paid overtime.

All of which would combine to a figure much higher than 35k

In the private sector a Salary normally means you don't get paid for overtime and in many cases don't get allowances for weekend work.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Nurses are well paid in this country end of story.If they don't like it let them find another job and stop whinging and moaning.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantic View Post
    Nurses are well paid in this country end of story.If they don't like it let them find another job and stop whinging and moaning.
    And they just might. When you have your accident, ring the Civil Defence.
    BTW, nurses are not here 'moaning and whinging', they are merely defending themselves from scurrilous attacks from the last few PDs still standing. The nurses took on Harney and have succeeded in drawing back the veil of mystery that she for so long hid behind. What we see is such incompetence, it even makes Cullen look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Yes he's wrong. Most nurses start off earning the bones of 40k straight out of college once all the 'add ons' are included.
    I know well what they earn. I have seen it first hand. 35k was a low estimate for those in receipt of only a small amount of night/unsocial hours/sunday allowances. And that is STARTING pay at 21/22 on average.

Quote Originally Posted by hopi watcher View Post
    And they just might. When you have your accident, ring the Civil Defence.
    BTW, nurses are not here 'moaning and whinging', they are merely defending themselves from scurrilous attacks from the last few PDs still standing. The nurses took on Harney and have succeeded in drawing back the veil of mystery that she for so long hid behind. What we see is such incompetence, it even makes Cullen look good.
    If I was you I would give up the ghost. The only veil of mystery lurking around nurses earnings is the one created by Liam Doran and the INO. When people find out what nurses actually earn their attitudes usually change pretty sharpish. By bringing what they earn into the public domain you are only shooting yourself in the foot. Nurses should be extremely happy with what they earn. It is not an easy job and I admire them but unfortunately we can only pay what we can afford as a state and they are already being paid much more than this.

I'll give it to Liam Doran - he is the best union rep in the country and deserves whatever nurses pay him to represent them. I have seen him stand beside a nurse at a protest when the nurse said she earned only 28k after 10 years service. The starting annual salary is 31k plus allowances so she must have been part-time.

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    I know well what they earn. I have seen it first hand. 35k was a low estimate for those in receipt of only a small amount of night/unsocial hours/sunday allowances. And that is STARTING pay at 21/22 on average.
    I don't agree that the case for a rise in Nurses' pay rates has been made yet, as sufficient evidence or argument has been advanced yet to justify it. (Sorry Hopi! ) However, you are also failing to make your case. You also seem to have some kind of a priori objection to anyone in their early 20's earning a decent wage - please justify.

You have also failed to justify your belief that nurses are overpaid. On what basis and assumptions have you arrived at this position?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doyle View Post

Complete horsesh*t.

Nice to be nice Kevin, your bad manners do you no favours.
    It is horse******************** that nurses in Ireland earn 50% more than the UK. It is actually 75-100% more.

Starting SALARY without allowances in the UK is 13k sterling so say 15k
    Starting SALARY without allowances in Ireland is 31k plus.

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    Nice to be nice Kevin, your bad manners do you no favours.
    It is horse******************** that nurses in Ireland earn 50% more than the UK. It is actually 75-100% more.

Starting SALARY without allowances in the UK is 13k sterling so say 15k
    Starting SALARY without allowances in Ireland is 31k plus.
    OK - now move beyond this point. You need to show that the nurses in the UK are not underpaid. Also, the different costs of living have to be taken into account as do the effective income tax rates. Finally are the relative duties similar in workload and extent?

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    I don't agree that the case for a rise in Nurses' pay rates has been made yet, as sufficient evidence or argument has been advanced yet to justify it. (Sorry Hopi! ) However, you are also failing to make your case. You also seem to have some kind of a priori objection to anyone in their early 20's earning a decent wage - please justify.

You have also failed to justify your belief that nurses are overpaid. On what basis and assumptions have you arrived at this position?
    I have no objection to somebody in their very early 20's earning mucho cash but I do when the taxpayer is footing the bill. Nursing is not a rare or extremely difficult to achieve qualification and therefore the wage on starting should not be in excess of the average industrial wage.

I have made my assumptions based on comparisons with the earnings of other professions in the private sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    OK - now move beyond this point. You need to show that the nurses in the UK are not underpaid. Also, the different costs of living have to be taken into account as do the effective income tax rates. Finally are the relative duties similar in workload and extent?

The cost of living in Ireland is crazy and this drove a spiralling public sector pay bill. Who do I blame for this? - the Government and their property developer chums. It was they who drove the price of property outside the reach of vital state employees like nurses and teachers.

Unfortunately rather than address and control the property bubble the Government decided to placate public sector workers by giving them large salary increases. This was o.k. once the property bubble cash was rolling in but now with its collapse the Government is left with a massive public sector wage bill on one hand and a collapsed tax intake on the other. All salaries in Ireland went out of control, and with them prices for everything, leaving us completely uncompetetive in an unfortunately globalised economy.

The solution to this is to allow property prices to fall and to try and lower the public sector wage bill which forms a huge chunk of exchequer spending. Nurses like everybody else in Ireland will pay the price for FF/PD idiocy. To suggest public sector wage increases at a time when the very existence of the Irish state as a viable economy is in question is lunacy.

Nurses in the NHS may well be underpaid but nurses in Britain are prepared to work for this amount so it must be assumed that the salary is satisfactory to the majority of them.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment