Register to Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Legal recourse against noisy neighbours

The "I've had enough" ads got me thinking. If one's neighbours are noisy and unruly- is there anything that can REALISTICALLY be done through the gardai, courts or clinic of your local TD?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Re: Legal recourse against noisy neighbours

Quote Originally Posted by campbeca
    The "I've had enough" ads got me thinking. If one's neighbours are noisy and unruly- is there anything that can REALISTICALLY be done through the gardai, courts or clinic of your local TD?
    Yes, but it won't happen overnight. You will have to keep a diary of all events over a period or time. Tape recordings of excess noise etc will help. Then report it to the gardaí with your evidence.

Private prosecution in the District Court (it's a bit like Judge Judy). Hopefully they will be bound to the peace. Then the gardai have something to charge them with. But you will need evidence, tape recordings, diaries, witnesses.

Ask the gardai and they might have a word. Don't know what a TD could do but you could always ask.

Legally you could use a civil action to injunct them for nuisance but it would cost a good deal. You could also issue a summons if they've committed any crimes, cheaper because you can do it yourself.

Presumably we're talking about cases where you calmly explain to noisy neighbour that their tv/stereo/parties are disturbing you, you've work in the morning, baby waking up etc. but no change in behaviour occurs? Or you say nothing, let your anger build to boiling point, then call in the riot squad at 1am on a Friday night because they're having a few drinks outside next door? The latter is more like our way of complaining so i'd just be concerned that many try to get the law involved too early, then when the police 'can't do anything' lose faith in the system and everyone loses.

Quote Originally Posted by farnaby
    Presumably we're talking about cases where you calmly explain to noisy neighbour that their tv/stereo/parties are disturbing you, you've work in the morning, baby waking up etc. but no change in behaviour occurs? Or you say nothing, let your anger build to boiling point, then call in the riot squad at 1am on a Friday night because they're having a few drinks outside next door? The latter is more like our way of complaining so i'd just be concerned that many try to get the law involved too early, then when the police 'can't do anything' lose faith in the system and everyone loses.
    You have a point- lots of people (i.e. me!) aren't good at calmlt raising issue and feel better calling the cops or fighting back.

Expect this to be a massive issue in the next locals, politicos. The price differential between pubs and off-licences mean that house parties are a scourge for many families

Order a taxi to their home for 4am give the driver an anonymous letter to give to them saying if the noise does not stop you will get a taxi to knock them up every morning at 4 am.

They will get the message :mrgreen:

(worked for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalif

Order a taxi to their home for 4am give the driver an anonymous letter to give to them saying if the noise does not stop you will get a taxi to knock them up every morning at 4 am.

They will get the message :mrgreen:

(worked for me)
    1st thing you should do is NOT take advice on here, no matter how well intentioned. Go and see your solicitor. He can apply for a noise abatement order for you. Best of luck.

Getting up to do some DIY (preferably drilling to put in that picture hook you always wanted on the wall adjoining their bedroom) early next morning can sometimes get the point across too. Thankfully we've never had cause to take this course of action but I've heard this of people doing this one before.

Quote Originally Posted by farnaby
    You have a point- lots of people (i.e. me!) aren't good at calmly raising issue and feel better calling the cops or fighting back.

Expect this to be a massive issue in the next locals, politicos. The price differential between pubs and off-licences mean that house parties are a scourge for many families
    And even if you are good at it, it's not necessarily the case that your neighbours will be good at taking the polite criticism.

But I'd still go with the calm option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment