Register to Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HSE - Back to Nursing Courses cancelled

Does anyone know why the HSE is cancelling back to nursing courses.
    So far this year there has been none in the Dublin area.
    A course due to start at the end of April has just been cancelled.
    We are told the next course will not be held until September.

What is going on out there?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Employment cap?

Re: HSE - Back to Nursing Courses cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by droghedasouth

Link please??

Where did you get this info? I smell a troll here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapisco

Link please??

I am no troll - look at my posts in relation to Mahon tribunal.

My wife was a nurse for 19 years until 1991.
    She has been trying to get on a back-to-nursing course since the end of 2007.
    Without it she can only get employment as a carer/nurse's aide at about 40% of the rate she would get as a nurse.
    Even if the HSE is capping HSE emplyment, the effect is she cannot get a job in the private sector either as a nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapisco

Link please??

I am no troll - look at my posts in relation to Mahon tribunal.

My wife was a nurse for 19 years until 1991.
    She has been trying to get on a back-to-nursing course since the end of 2007.
    Without it she can only get employment as a carer/nurse's aide at about 40% of the rate she would get as a nurse.
    Even if the HSE is capping HSE emplyment, the effect is she cannot get a job in the private sector either as a nurse.
    OK, ur not a troll.

But you didnt answer my question. How do you know that the "HSE has cancelled BTN courses"?

Who told you this. You are insinuating that ther is a cap or a total stop put to these courses. I just want to know where you got this info? The HSE??

My wife told me, and I think I believe her. She is in contact with the Mater Nursing College who have told her that they have just cancelled the end of April course and that the next in course in the entire Dublin region will be in September.

There is no legal barrier for your wife to work as nurse without completeing a Back to Practice course. It is only a reccomendation by An Bord Altranais that a nurse completes one if out of practice for 5 or more years. The individial nurse will have to decide if they need a course based on there own competance. a More information at

http://www.nursingcareers.ie/Return_to_ ... _Node.HTML.

Note that a the Health service employer may require your wife to do a course. But this is not the case for all Health Service Employers.

Quote Originally Posted by juggler
    There is no legal barrier for your wife to work as nurse without completeing a Back to Practice course. It is only a reccomendation by An Bord Altranais that a nurse completes one if out of practice for 5 or more years. The individial nurse will have to decide if they need a course based on there own competance. a More information at

http://www.nursingcareers.ie/Return_to_ ... _Node.HTML.

Note that a the Health service employer may require your wife to do a course. But this is not the case for all Health Service Employers.
    I think after 19yrs out of Nursing, it might be wise to do the course!

And if you believe all that propaganda from the above website.... fool you. That was written during a time when Nursing resources were short in this country and the bar was lowered in order to attract interest - inhouse training would then be given instead of the course.

Find me a Health Service Employer that will take someone on who is in excess of five years out of nursing and not require them to do the course and i will put my hands up.

NOTE: Even if the employer does not require one to do the course, you can be damn sure the employee will undergo in-house training whne taken on and be mentored and tested before practising without supervision.

Get your facts right "Juggler" (with the one post!!)

Every fact in the last post is accurate Galeforce.

I agree with you on the point that after 19 years out of practice, it would be wise to complete the course. The advancements in Nurses and Midwives scope of practice has being massive.

The courses pointed on the website are only those approved by An Bord Altranais. I am not aware of the degree to which inhouse training is carried out to this day, but i know it dose go on. But the Back to Practice Training courses and in house traing are two different things. BTP have national criteria set down while in house training is defined at a local bases, and may be as detailed as the local health service provider wants.

It is not as an uncommon practice for Health service employers, particilirly Nursing Homes, to hire Nurses who have not being practising for five years or more. I personally think there should be a requirement for Nurses to demonstrate compatence after a number of years of not practising.

And i do not think the information set out http://www.nursingcareers.ie/Return_to_ ... _Node.HTML. is propaganda. What i think it repersents is An Bord Altranais's current inability to legislate for for obligtary BTP.

At the moment under the Nurses Act 1985 there is no such requirment. That is why a nurse out of practice for a long period can still practice as a registered Nurse. However, the new proposed bill for Nurses and Midwifes states (http://www.dohc.ie/issues/nurses_and_midwives/):

(25) (3) a. Where a registered nurse or midwife, who has been required to do
    so by the Board, fails to demonstrate her/his relevant competencies
    to the satisfaction of the Board, then the Board shall be entitled to
    direct that nurse or midwife, as a condition for retention of her/his
    name on the register, to take such steps as may be specified by the
    Board, which may include taking a course of education or training
    or gaining clinical practice experience, for the express purpose of
    updating her/his skills and knowledge.

I think part of it is that we are overnursed. Per capita we have more nurses than France. The problem isn't a shortage of nurses, but that they refuse to work longer hours and as a consequence, queues build up in the corridors at weekends etc. Another element of it is that the HSE is probably trying to cut costs by importing nurses from the Third World like the Phillipines who will work for pittance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment