Register to Comment
Page 1 of 161 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree842Likes

Did outsourcing of cancer testing sentence a woman with cervical cancer to death?

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/...-vicky-phelan/
    A 43-year-old woman who was given incorrect test results and is now terminally ill with cervical cancer has settled her High Court action against a US laboratory for 2.5m.

Vicky Phelan was diagnosed with cancer three years after her smear test results of 2011 were incorrectly reported as clear of abnormalities.

By the time she had another smear test in 2014 she had cervical cancer.

In January this year she was given six to 12 months to live.

Mr Justice Kevin Cross described Ms Phelan as the most impressive witness he had ever encountered.

He also praised both sides in the case for the speed with which the case was handled.

In her High Court action, which began last week, her lawyers said if the cancerous cells had been detected in 2011 she would have had a simple procedure and would have a 90% chance of survival.

Ms Phelan, of Carrigeen, Annacotty, Co Limerick along with her husband Jim Phelan has sued the Health Service Executive and Clinical Pathology Laboratories Inc, Austin, Texas, over a smear test taken under the National Cervical Screening Programme CervicalCheck and analysed in the US laboratory.
    Does the HSE not employ laboratory technicians who could have carried out the test in this country?

I believe that outsourcing of cancer testing has put a death sentence on Ms Phelan.

Why was the testing outsourced in the first place?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Well we need to clarify what we mean by "outsourcing" in this case. It seems her treatment was outsourced to a clinic in the US. It does not reflect the outcomes of patients outsourced to say private hospitals. So the answer to your question might be "Yes" if you mean outsourcing to a US clinic. But "no" if you are making a general point about the private sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Well we need to clarify what we mean by "outsourcing" in this case. It seems her treatment was outsourced to a clinic in the US. It does not reflect the outcomes of patients outsourced to say private hospitals. So the answer to your question might be "Yes" if you mean outsourcing to a US clinic. But "no" if you are making a general point about the private sector.
    What I should have said was "outsourcing to a different continent".

I don't believe a private lab in Ireland or the UK would make such a horrific error.

The poor woman. How do you come to terms with something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/...-vicky-phelan/

Does the HSE not employ laboratory technicians who could have carried out the test in this country?

I believe that outsourcing of cancer testing has put a death sentence on Ms Phelan.

Why was the testing outsourced in the first place?
    Because it was cheaper to outsource?
    Last edited by ger12; 7th May 2018 at 06:48 PM.

What I should have said was "outsourcing to a different continent".

I don't believe a private lab in Ireland or the UK would make such a horrific error.
    I would ask did the abolition of the NTPF cause this woman to end up with incurable cervical cancer. If FG-Labour hadnt abolished it (now being brought back under FF pressure), maybe she could have been treated in Ireland.

What are you basing that belief on?

false negative do happen it doesnt mean there was incompetence? or was there human error proved?

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post

Because it was cheaper to outsource?
    Or quicker?

False negative results occur in every screening program.

Page 1 of 161 1231151101 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment