Register to Comment
Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1395
Like Tree800Likes
  1. #11
    Expose the lot of them Expose the lot of them is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,399

    Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/...-vicky-phelan/


    Does the HSE not employ laboratory technicians who could have carried out the test in this country?

    I believe that outsourcing of cancer testing has put a death sentence on Ms Phelan.

    Why was the testing outsourced in the first place?
    The lab in Texas should never have been selected by the HSE, it already had a less than great reputation at the time. I understand the RCSI, where smear tests had been sent prior to the introduction of the cervical smear program, tendered but was not successful.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #12
    Expose the lot of them Expose the lot of them is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,399

    Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    false negative do happen it doesnt mean there was incompetence? or was there human error proved?
    There was a cover up.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #13
    bokuden bokuden is online now
    bokuden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    9,710

    Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/...-vicky-phelan/


    Does the HSE not employ laboratory technicians who could have carried out the test in this country?

    I believe that outsourcing of cancer testing has put a death sentence on Ms Phelan.

    Why was the testing outsourced in the first place?
    If fg get their way, everything will be outsourced. I heard today about gps being consulted by webcam and they are trying to introduce digital teaching into classrooms. They wont be happy until this society is utterly destroyed.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #14
    Prester Jim Prester Jim is offline
    Prester Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,833

    Quote Originally Posted by bokuden View Post
    If fg get their way, everything will be outsourced. I heard today about gps being consulted by webcam and they are trying to introduce digital teaching into classrooms. They wont be happy until this society is utterly destroyed.
    They (FG) are fanatical ideologues, the free market is the solution to every problem in their eyes. No doubt the cheapest quote beat out the better quality service and lives will be lost because of it.
    They seem to be able to ignore all evidence of suffering caused by their neo-lib BS. The free market has been let solve the housing crisis too, that has worked out brilliantly.. for the profiteers and TD-landlords.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #15
    Expose the lot of them Expose the lot of them is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,399

    Quote Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
    False negative results occur in every screening program.
    Does every other screen program cover up false negatives when they are discovered, as was done in this case?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #16
    Massey Massey is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by Expose the lot of them View Post
    The lab in Texas should never have been selected by the HSE, it already had a less than great reputation at the time. I understand the RCSI, where smear tests had been sent prior to the introduction of the cervical smear program, tendered but was not successful.
    I was told the smears are not done in the US but are actually sent to Latin America.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #17
    Expose the lot of them Expose the lot of them is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,399

    Quote Originally Posted by Massey View Post
    I was told the smears are not done in the US but are actually sent to Latin America.
    I would not be in the least surprised, its reputation is patchy to say the least, I seem to remember that at the time it won the Irish tender it had been dropped due to issues with the manner in which it evaluated the tests.

    Of course the Irish programme was done on the cheap, instead of following the New Zealand model, viewed as the best in the world, the HSE, or whatever it was then, decided to cut women off at 60, New Zealand is 70 and outsource to a dubious U.S. lab.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #18
    mr_anderson mr_anderson is offline
    mr_anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10,711

    My heart goes out to this woman.
    My friend's mum was diagnosed with stage IV cervical cancer and given a grim prognosis.
    However, 7 years later she's still going very strong.
    Hopefully this lady can similarly defy the odds.

    I'm surprised at the award though.
    Thought it was very low, given the outcome of the error.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #19
    Ardillaun Ardillaun is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    9,677

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    My heart goes out to this woman.
    My friend's mum was diagnosed with stage IV cervical cancer and given a grim prognosis.
    However, 7 years later she's still going very strong.
    Hopefully this lady can similarly defy the odds.

    I'm surprised at the award though.
    Thought it was very low, given the outcome of the error.
    I presume it depends on the degree of negligence involved as well as the harm suffered etc.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #20
    Watcher2 Watcher2 is offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    31,715

    Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/...-vicky-phelan/


    Does the HSE not employ laboratory technicians who could have carried out the test in this country?

    I believe that outsourcing of cancer testing has put a death sentence on Ms Phelan.

    Why was the testing outsourced in the first place?
    It's not the outsourcing wot dunnit. Nice try. According to the statement made either by ms Phelan or her solicitor after the case, the HSE knew about the incorrect results three years ago but said nothing. It's the HSE that has sentenced her to death.

    When is the corporate manslaughter bill going to be passed?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment