Register to Comment
Page 130 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1395
Like Tree800Likes
  1. #1291
    lostexpectation lostexpectation is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21,296

    Quote Originally Posted by Falsenegative View Post
    The treatment is based on the stage of the cancer.

    Where it was 3 years ago could have been stage 0 or maybe stage 1. If it's not detected, then it progresses.

    If you think of it this way, a women presents for the first time for a smear test and it comes back as abnormal, then she's referred for a colposcopy where either the cancer (stage 2 for example) might well be visible, but a biopsy confirms it cancer, the diagnosis and staging are done and the treatment is planned based on the stage of the cancer as it now presents.

    If another woman has a smear and it shows all clear and she presents 3 years later and the smear is then abnormal the she is referred for the colposcopy as per the steps outlined above. If the biopsy confirms cancer and if it is also stage 2, then the same treatment is planned for her.

    If they look back and find that her smear from 3 years ago was misread - nothing changes, she's receiving the treatment that she requires today.

    I actually think in Emma Mhic Mhathúna's case, when she met with the oncologist he had her previous smears in her medical file and he was so concerned that those smears were "normal", yet she presented to him with stage 2b cervical cancer - he insisted that those smears be reviewed.
    just find it hard to believe that extra information does nothing
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #1292
    ruman ruman is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,378

    Good to see the media finally starting to focus on the role of Chief Medical Officer Tony Holohan who has known since 2016 and failed to inform Simon Harris.

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...gn=news_digest

    Holohan was the leading voice in taking down Mandatory Disclosure after lobbying by unamed vested interest groups.

    How can Harris hope to reform the Health Service with this individual at a senior level ?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #1293
    Noble Guardian Noble Guardian is offline
    Noble Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    511
    Twitter
    @

    Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    just find it hard to believe that extra information does nothing
    It will tell you what might have changed things, but it's about as useful as last week's lotto numbers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #1294
    Noble Guardian Noble Guardian is offline
    Noble Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    511
    Twitter
    @

    Quote Originally Posted by ruman View Post
    Good to see the media finally starting to focus on the role of Chief Medical Officer Tony Holohan who has known since 2016 and failed to inform Simon Harris.

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...gn=news_digest

    Holohan was the leading voice in taking down Mandatory Disclosure after lobbying by unamed vested interest groups.

    How can Harris hope to reform the Health Service with this individual at a senior level ?
    The factors impacting on clinicians' wariness on open disclosure are well described. This report is from Australia.

    https://www.surgery.umn.edu/sites/su...commission.pdf

    I'm not entirely sure it's fair to frame it as a "vested interests" story, or helpful to dismiss those fears out of hand.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #1295
    Ardillaun Ardillaun is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    9,677

    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Guardian View Post
    The factors impacting on clinicians' wariness on open disclosure are well described. This report is from Australia.

    https://www.surgery.umn.edu/sites/su...commission.pdf

    .
    Mandatory disclosure could have multiple consequences including a big rise in claims. It would be better to consider them ahead of time.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #1296
    Noble Guardian Noble Guardian is offline
    Noble Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    511
    Twitter
    @

    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Guardian View Post
    It will tell you what might have changed things, but it's about as useful as last week's lotto numbers.
    (Aside: my mother in law once used the "wrong" birthday (son rather than daughter) in her 6 selected numbers. Daughter's birthday came up, along with the other 5. Helluva difference between 5 and 6 lotto numbers, however.)
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #1297
    Noble Guardian Noble Guardian is offline
    Noble Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    511
    Twitter
    @

    Quote Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
    Mandatory disclosure could have multiple consequences including a big rise in claims. It would be better to consider them ahead of time.
    Perhaps, but if people are hurt they need to be helped. I'm not sure they need up-front payments, however. Perhaps just a state credit card would do.

    It;s more a symptom of the access problems in the public system that feel they have to pay for private care, and so sue for the means to do so. Possibly an element of broken trust as well.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #1298
    Ardillaun Ardillaun is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    9,677

    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Guardian View Post
    Perhaps, but if people are hurt they need to be helped. I'm not sure they need up-front payments, however. Perhaps just a state credit card would do.

    It;s more a symptom of the access problems in the public system that feel they have to pay for private care, and so sue for the means to do so. Possibly an element of broken trust as well.
    I don’t think there’s any ‘perhaps’ about it if every health professional is required to divulge every single error. The lawyers and media will have a field day and people will end up thinking we have the worst healthcare in the world. Best to start thinking about the real-world consequences now instead of pretending all will be grand. Disclosure is a good idea but it will work best if used to improve systems rather than going after individuals.
    Last edited by Ardillaun; 16th May 2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #1299
    redmonite redmonite is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,152

    Ciara Kelly gave a fair assessment based on fact on Newstalk, ( sorry l don't know how to link) But it's a bit late now!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #1300
    Noble Guardian Noble Guardian is offline
    Noble Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    511
    Twitter
    @

    Today or previously?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment