Register to Comment
Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree960Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Where is Ruth no-Cop-whinger and the other hard lefties on this issue ?

Trotting off in the opposite direction, I presume....
    Ruth is too busy trying to "ban" good looking girls from making a few bob, made an absolute show of herself on Claire byrne last night.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Merc will be along shortly to tell us all how little we care about women and that we are just here because we are racists.
    He will then spend the rest of the day trolling the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...land-1.3374033

This barbaric practise has reached our shores it seems. To no great surprise some of the "New Irish" have imported this practise and we now have a clinic for women who have suffered from FGM. This is a crime and people need to be punished. Not for the IT though..............

I'll repeat this is a crime and should be ruthlessly routed out. In schools where children are at risk of this there should be inspections of kids, as there used to be by district nurses, and kids that have been subjected to this need to have their parents punished. Otherwise we go down the route of the UK where it is rampant and no one has been punished.
    As much as a cvnt you are self mutilation is never the answer.

And here I was thinking the resident "legitimate immigration concerns" group were actually concerned about the victims.

No it's just the daily two minutes of hate for the "leftist, Coppinger, Daly and the IT."

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Where is Ruth no-Cop-whinger and the other hard lefties on this issue ?

Trotting off in the opposite direction, I presume....
    Well, the woman involved with this initiative has an actual degree in gender studies so....

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...land-1.3374033

This barbaric practise has reached our shores it seems. To no great surprise some of the "New Irish" have imported this practise and we now have a clinic for women who have suffered from FGM. This is a crime and people need to be punished. Not for the IT though..............

I'll repeat this is a crime and should be ruthlessly routed out. In schools where children are at risk of this there should be inspections of kids, as there used to be by district nurses, and kids that have been subjected to this need to have their parents punished. Otherwise we go down the route of the UK where it is rampant and no one has been punished.

So you read an article about efforts that are being made to ensure that children here are not subjected to FGM and your gut reaction is that you know better than the women on the ground and that what we really ought to be doing is stigmatizing children of migrants by pulling them out of classrooms and having them examined by doctors for no other reason than the fact that their parents were born in a particular country...

Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    Merc will be along shortly to tell us all how little we care about women and that we are just here because we are racists.
    He will then spend the rest of the day trolling the thread.
    I mean, it's demonstrably true...

Yes I agree that is sensible. However I cannot but notice the lack of loud voices from the feminists movement on this. Germaine Grer was asked to campaign on this she refused as it would stigmitise Muslims. Although Muslims perform the majority of FGMs it is not a Muslim only issue.
    I dont know what or who Germaine Greer represents since she defended the child abusers on Pitcairn Island over a decade ago in the name of Polynesian culture, something I would not see as compatible with feminism.

On the issue itself, it's absolutely something I would want to see stopped, naturally. The question is how best to achieve that, and I've gradually moved from thinking a blanket ban should be imposed to seeing it slightly differently according to where it's happening.

I think when people move to a country where it's not traditional and not acceptable and want to bring the practice with them, that's simple - when you move somewhere, you adapt, and practices that are seen as abusive in your new country need to be re-examined at the very least. And there is obviously no justification for FGM, so it has to go.

From hearing women working in countries where it is traditional, I think it's more complicated and it's very possible that a confrontational approach might not work. That said, I imagine that depends massively on the country in question. I'd accept the consensus of people working on the issue in that country. I don't think that's an embarrassed silence, it's a recognition that I don't have all the answers and the people living there are better placed to decide on an effective strategy than outsiders.

But to come back to Ireland, and Europe in general, ban it. And punish anyone found guilty of practising it - but the intimate nature of the crime means that even here it's probably important not to have "punishment" as the main anti-FGM policy. The girls who are the intended victims need to know that it's illegal and where to go for help before it happens, as well as where to report a crime once it has occurred. That requires an education strategy.

Just feeling good about the severe punishments we've put in place may not actually prevent it happening, and may not even lead to people being punished for it, if the educational aspect of the policy is neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    I would have read that article as, changing people's mindset about FGM can be more effective in stamping out the barbaric practise that just imprisoning parents who condone or support it.
    Which is pretty obvious when you think about it - if some parents really want to subject their children to FGM they'll find a way to do it. The only way to get to those parents is to change their attitudes to the practice itself.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    And here I was thinking the resident "legitimate immigration concerns" group were actually concerned about the victims.

No it's just the daily two minutes of hate for the "leftist, Coppinger, Daly and the IT."
    This is the problem - if it's about feeling self righteous, it doesn't matter if it works - and there is always a certain amount of that on these threads. It's rather like the reactions to those Roma children being taken away from their parents.

Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment