Register to Comment
Page 71 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Like Tree320Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Good test - I had a real flu once and anything less than a grand would not have gotten me out of the bed.
    I've only ever had the full blown flu once too, and this is nothing on it. I do not have a fever now.

I'd want to shut up, regardless
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher2 View Post
    Don't forget gender presentation Sailor, which is more the salient point here than the gender identity. According to a different thread, the gender presented may not necessarily be the gender identity.

I know!
    Reading any more posts like that will have me retracting my declarations about feeling better!

Quote Originally Posted by StarryPlough01 View Post
    You make some excellent points.

I believe in trans rights, and trans pride. Trans people should not have to live in a closet hiding their true identity. By this I mean, they should be free to live their gender choice and also be proud and open about how they arrived there.
    Yes, and there are many of us who believe that promoting the rights of transgender people is a natural progression from our recent public acceptance of gay and lesbian marriage equality.

I believe trans people have a right to live presenting themselves as what ever sex they choose without harassment, I believe they have a right to the most up to date and informed advice on how to make their bodies as comfortable as possible for them to live in, and their decisions respected and when adult treated accordingly.

But I don't think we can get there without a conversation, we can ignore the ignorant morons who think anything other than the missionary position between a man and a woman is perverted, we have heard it all before.

On one extreme we have those who think biological differences between sexes are the result of male patriarchal scientists and that it would be silly to not grant trans people all the characteristics of their chosen sexual identity and look forward to the consequences.

Then there are those who think that allowing trans people identify as the sex they prefer and expecting others to treat them as if they were their chosen sex, would go a long way towards giving them the dignity they deserve and the unintended consequences would be worth the risk.

In the middle are those of us who are willing to accommodate trans people as much as possible but only up to the point where their preferred distinction diverges with reality, like the case of the "man" who gave birth to a child recently, relegating scientific distinctions to opinion could set a very dangerous precedent.

There are others who believe that transgender people are suffering from a mental illness and the fact is we don't know how the brain works and cannot be sure if it is or not. Most of these don't think trans people should be accommodated in any way except for the treatment normally accorded a person with a mental illness.

This kind of thread always ends up a slagging match between the two extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by RodShaft View Post
    I think it is unreasonable for someone to choose their medical professional based on race, religion, gender or any other non medical ground.
    And yet people do, all the time - many women deliberately select females as their GPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Being transgender is not defined as a desire to convince the world that you are of the opposite sex, so my original point stands.
    Yeah, they do want to convince the world they are the opposite sex, lots of them.

Here's a male transgender person in Germany who fathered a child going to the bother of a court case in order to be registered as a "mother" of the child. (Thankfully the court said no).

Germany

What kind of loon does this - wants the actual official, and historical, record altered to wipe out the information as to who the child's male parent is, leave the child with no officially recorded father, just to gratify something in themselves, have the state support their illusion that they are female?

I'm not one of the people who proclaims that transgenderism is a mental illness but this stuff is insane. Needless to say LGBTQWTF in Germany are supporting him - the law should be changed to register him as one of 2 "mothers" of the child.

Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    Yeah, they do want to convince the world they are the opposite sex, lots of them.
    So? That still doesn't mean that that's definition of transgender.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    So? That still doesn't mean that that's definition of transgender.
    There's no definition of transgender. Some are gay but don't want to be, some have mental issues, some feel they are genuinely masculine/feminine in personality, some are a more extreme version of cross dressers...and I'm sure other explanations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    There's no definition of transgender.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/transgender

Page 71 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment