Register to Comment
Page 1 of 177 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree834Likes

Woman challenges Public Services Card requirement for state pension

Woman’s pension cut after she refuses to get public services card

I think she has a point. Personally, I don't have a problem with a public services card, or call it an ID card if you like. But, they shouldn't sneak it in the back door without legislating for it. It's totally disingenuous to say it is not compulsory. The law currently says you just have to satisfy the minister as to your identity and there should be multiple ways to do that. If they want an ID card to make it more efficient, then legislate.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

What's the government afraid of?

If the headline was "silly old bat refused library books after refusing to produce library card", would that change things?

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    If the headline was "silly old bat refused library books after refusing to produce library card", would that change things?
    It would as the lady is not a silly old bat! You can try to figure it all out for yourself but I'm sure some kind soul will help you out on that at some later stage!

She said when she first learned that she was entitled to a non-contributory pension of €166 per week, as well as her contributory pension, officials had called to her house to verify her details, including her marriage certificate
    Non-Contributory Pension.
    She can get free money, but moans because she has to get an ID card in order to do so.
    The headline should read 'Woman in her 70's acts like a child'.

Knowing this country, she'll get her way too.

To be comparable, it would need to be a refusal to provide a public services card.

And why abuse the woman? Is it alien to you that someone might have principles?

On the other hand, if the library service demanded one of these public services cards, then I'd expect the same problem to arise. People would ask themselves, why tf do I have to get a government ID to borrow books?

I'm not disputing the obvious efficiency such a card enables and I am supportive of it in practice. What I can't abide is the dishonesty of the government in how they implemented it. They wanted to avoid all hassle that would resulted from discussion of the data sharing and other implications of it. As poster #2 asks, what are they afraid of?

They were quite satisfied who she was when she was paying her taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    On the other hand, if the library service demanded one of these public services cards, then I'd expect the same problem to arise. People would ask themselves, why tf do I have to get a government ID to borrow books?

I'm not disputing the obvious efficiency such a card enables and I am supportive of it in practice. What I can't abide is the dishonesty of the government in how they implemented it. They wanted to avoid all hassle that would resulted from discussion of the data sharing and other implications of it. As poster #2 asks, what are they afraid of?
    Wrong, wrong and utterly wrong.

All it enables is news methods of fraud.

She is spot on. She is asking them to prove that registering for the card is mandatory. The DSP has not been able to prove this. They have been to her house to verify her identity so they don't need to see the card. From the link in the OP...
    About 2.75 million have been issued to date but Ministers have insisted the card is not “compulsory”.
    So if it is not compulsory and they have verified who she is why has she not be paid what she is owed? This an ID card back the back door and should not be compulsory.

Page 1 of 177 1231151101 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment