Register to Comment
Page 1 of 70 123 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree581Likes

The end of the line for the RCC?

In an interesting opinion piece in the Irish Times, Mark Patrick Hederman predicts that the church of which he is a member has at most a decade to adapt or become 'an irrelevant minority'. Hederman, a monk in Glenstal Abbey, is one of Irish Catholicism's best minds, and it's not going to be easy to ignore his call for a 21st century church, one that recognises gender and sexual diversity, the role of women and of the feminine principle that resides in all of us, the importance of science and the absolute need for democracy.

As an interested outsider, I think he is probably right, and that it's unlikely that the essentially conservative RCC is capable of the kinds of necessary change he highlights. If he and I are both right, this has huge significance to what Ireland will look like in 2027.
    Have a read and see what you think:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bo...rity-1.3084834

[Mods: This belongs in Social Affairs, not Culture & Community, in my view. If you disagree, please move.]
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Twitter
    @

On a side note, given the angle you're talking about; social affairs is where it belongs. Further to the side, are there actually mods here still?

78% of people professed themselves to be RCC in the 2016 census.

And good riddance to it and all, the day we are free from the shackles of organised religion, is the day we can finally enter the modern civilised world.

Twitter
    @

A number of commentators have commented upon Christianity's decline with special regard to Europe. The consensus (and I don't know if I agree with it) is that, consumerism, ever increasing health, wealth and opportunity and range of on-offer experiences go a long way but do not meet the challenge Europe faces; "meaning". In this regard, it is especially ill-equipped to face down the challenge posed to it by what is for all intents and purposes the Christianity of the 16th century: Islam. The remedies are all the same and to me, unattractive; a call back to the church. I think what they should do is put out the call to a Christianity without Christ, which is to say: Humanism. Sam Harris is in the vanguard of this movement. Something that values reason and rationality, but is not wanting of meaning and fulfilment in a way that pure atheism is.

Twitter
    @

I've a relation in Glenstall. He's very calm and very zen. But he's totally divorced from life.

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Just none of them go to Mass.

Dying on its arse, if it weren't for the grip the RCC had on the schools the hatched, matched and dispacted brigade wouldn't bother their arse.

It's gotten so bad they have to prove their mass attendance in order that they might receive communion. That's how devout the dwindling congregation is it has to be reminded to attend the central ceremony of their faith.

Muwhaha...

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Down from 84% in 2011, assuming an exponential change in the rate of decline, that projects ro 48% in 2026. And mass attendance is in freefall, as low as 2% in parts of Dublin. That census figure is actually very, very cold comfort.
    Last edited by statsman; 16th May 2017 at 01:54 PM.

Twitter
    @

The church of Ireland (Anglican) is all those modern whatever you're having yourself and it is a much more frail species despite its openness to modernity.

This great mind Hederman meandered around a few hobby horses on Finucane's show the other day. Waffle, it was. Thinks Trump is the patriarchy's last stand before the USA is swept along in a matriarchal tide. And other hot takes . . .

Page 1 of 70 123 11 51 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment