Register to Comment
Page 2 of 218 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree558Likes

Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    Abortion is legislated for - to the extent it is - in the POLDPA, afaik. That would stay in place if the 8th was removed, until the Oireachtas decided to amend it.
    Even if the Oireachtas amends that Act, to say restrict for sex selection abortion or restrict for late term abortions for example, a successful constitutional challenge similar to the U.S. Roe V's Wade would override that?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Soros wants the 8th removed because it is effective; it saves lives.

If the law on abortion ever becomes subject to the whims of politicians we will eventually end up with abortion on demand... leading to who knows what further levels of barbarism.

The Law is all that keeps the bloodthirsty mob from the children. Weaken that and you weaken their protection.

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    On a constitutional matter, when do they take that course of action?
    For example, the KAL case.

Even if the Oireachtas amends that Act, to say restrict for sex selection abortion or restrict for late term abortions for example, a successful constitutional challenge similar to the U.S. Roe V's Wade would override that?
    Yes, it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    For example, the KAL case.
    I don't see the comparison, wasn't that referred back to the HC from the SC to challenge different elements of law?

I don't see the comparison, wasn't that referred back to the HC from the SC to challenge different elements of law?
    Part of the judgment basically suggested that if the Oireachtas wanted to legislate for marriage equality, that might be okay, but that the Court would not rule that such a right was already in the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Part of the judgment basically suggested that if the Oireachtas wanted to legislate for marriage equality, that might be okay, but that the Court would not rule that such a right was already in the Constitution.
    To give time for a SSM referendum perhaps? I don't see how it can be compared to this situation tbh.

Yes, it would.
    And the ECHR?

And the ECHR?
    The European Court of HR, as I read it, would like to enforce abortion (and would also like to enforce gay marriage) but haven't done so to date as they don't feel they can find these rights in the Convention. But they also seem to have this bizarre thing that if enough states endorse abortion, or gay marriage (or other things) they can then find that these are enforceable, "found" in the Convention. So yes, quite honestly, even though I favour a more liberal abortion regime than you, I think the Irish people would be advised to keep what they want about abortion in the Constitution, to avoid possibly being dictated to by the ECHR on this.

The European Court of HR, as I read it, would like to enforce abortion (and would also like to enforce gay marriage) but haven't done so to date as they don't feel they can find these rights in the Convention. But they also seem to have this bizarre thing that if enough states endorse abortion, or gay marriage (or other things) they can then find that these are enforceable, "found" in the Convention. So yes, quite honestly, even though I favour a more liberal abortion regime than you, I think the Irish people would be advised to keep what they want about abortion in the Constitution, to avoid possibly being dictated to by the ECHR on this.
    The ECHR is subordinate to our constitution?

Page 2 of 218 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment