Register to Comment
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    I always buy British sugar - Silver Spoon, which is all from sugar beet in the UK. .
    Processed sugar is as far away from sugar beet as heroin is from the opium poppy. It is the processing that removes every last substance of nutritional value that is in sugar beet that turns sugar from a quite valuable foodstuff into an insidious poison that is highly damaging to humans.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

A lot of people don't trust sweeteners - there are health concerns about their safety and it's possible they have a similar effect on blood sugar than sugary drinks do.

I've certainly never found a sweetener than could replace table sugar, though I use very little of that as I don't have it in coffee or tea, I just put a bit on cereal sometimes.

Splenda came closest but it's still not the same - especially it hot drinks when it foams slightly which is quite off-putting.

I always buy British sugar - Silver Spoon, which is all from sugar beet in the UK.

If you're concerned about climate change, British sugar would be better than Caribbean in terms of food miles if it's available in Ireland.
    Oh, I don't know about Silver Spoon. It's sooooo.... yellow pack. I always instruct Harrods to send the delivery boy around with their artistically-wrapped pouches of artisan AOC sugar grown, harvested and holistically refined by a commune of former Oxford intellectuals who have retired to a delightful pays in the Dordogne with its own microclimate, GM-free soil and resident colonies of free-range organic bees for naturally cross-pollinating the sugar beet buds.
    Last edited by Prof Honeydew; 8th August 2016 at 01:22 PM.

It's just another way of collecting revenue to pay off the bank debt and keep their pension pots topped up. Soon we will have mobile phone tax, internet tax, a tax if you don't or can't afford to buy your own home, leisure tax for walking in a park etc.. it's all coming down the line and the hard pressed working and middle classes will be squeezed dry to pay it.

Put the tax on junk food and use the money raised to help with public health information and towards the medical costs associated with obesity and poor diet. How about removing vat from gym membership fees.

And why are McDonald's and other purveyors of junk food allowed to advertise directly to children?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    Not really.
    There's a can of Coke sitting in my fridge door for the last 6 months. Adults and teenagers come and go, the beer is chilled and the fridge is constantly raided. Yet there it sits. Somehow, the message has got through.

I could eat and drink sugar with the best, but now I rarely touch the stuff. I've dropped cakes, biscuits, drinks, deserts. It wasn't easy and there were failures, but constant effort paid off.
    Thats what I said

I tried that but I am still fat.
    Try harder fatso

Quote Originally Posted by che schifo View Post
    Put the tax on junk food and use the money raised to help with public health information and towards the medical costs associated with obesity and poor diet. How about removing vat from gym membership fees.

And why are McDonald's and other purveyors of junk food allowed to advertise directly to children?
    Never going to happen. Like the idea for gym fees. Would never happen either though.

Alcohol & obesity "cost" the health service some € 3 billion per annum.

Jaysus its terrible that it should be tackled.

It's not a plan to tackle obesity, it's a cynical way of raising revenue without increasing wage taxation, under the guise of being a health initiative. It was bandied about by SF, among others in their election manifestos. I don't buy many sweet drinks really, a few bottles of slimline tonic per week, 2 bottles of 7up Free a month and once in a blue moon, a bottle of Coke. I prefer the dryness of unsweetened drinks. All this will do is encourage people to buy from the UK/North or switch to supermarket own brands, at best, but really, it won't have much of an impact on consumers. What it could do is hit the smaller Irish manufacturers.

This with an additional tax on off licence sales could raise north of € 400 million.

Ring fence it.

New Politics could ensure that.

Into mental health and health budgets.

Who would be agin that ?

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment