Register to Comment
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Quote Originally Posted by SamsonS View Post
    You make it sound so simple!
    On the contrary - it's very complicated. Which is precisely why a tax on sugar is such a blunt and ineffective way of responding to it (not to mention paternalistic).
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Alcohol is taxed to the hilt in this country and has made no difference. Sugar tax is a stupid idea. Plus, why should I pay for some other glutton's lack of self control?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    If you're over 30 and care about your health, don't touch the stuff.
    It's not just obesity you have to worry about.
    Easier said than done

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    It'll be great if a can of coke is somewhat more expensive than a can of coke zero, it'll make people think more about their purchases.
    I switched from Coke/Fanta/Pepsi to the sugar free variants years ago as my partner is diabetic and it was less hassle that way. I'm so used to them now that I can barely stand a regular Coke, which just tastes overpoweringly sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Switch from cans of minerals to Water.

Exercise more.

Sorted.
    I tried that but I am still fat.

'Is there anyting to be said for another tax Father?'

I'm getting more then sick of governments who's every answer to a problem seems to swell their coffers and fail to fix the root cause of the issue.

I've become a bit of an expert in sugar since my 10 year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, you would think that our new no sugar low carb diet would have caused us to lose weight, but thats not how it works.
    When my daughters blood sugar levels are high but she is craving something sweet i can give her 6-7 sliced strawberries floating in fresh cream drizzled in dark chocolate, only 8 carbs (carbs are what you count not sugar, sugar is pure carbohydrate) but nearly 80 calories.
    I think if they are to tax sugar they should also make an effort to make low or no sugar alternatives cheaper, also beware of labeling, no added sugar does not mean low sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    It'll be great if a can of coke is somewhat more expensive than a can of coke zero, it'll make people think more about their purchases.

Also while they're at it, non recyclable material and excessive packaging of any kind on the supermarket shelves should be taxed out of existence.
    Use of sweeteners is at least controversial. There is research proving sweeteners actually increase appetite and therefore increase daily calories intake.
    Cut the sugars - yes, but don't replace it with sweeteners! Just learn how to live without it.
    100% Fruit juices may be a good option if you need extra sugar in the blood.

there is no real solution , food was expensive 50 years ago its cheap now, it doesn't cost anymore money to eat healthy than to eat unhealthy and by definition obese people spend more on food than an equivalent picky eater.
    There is a knowledge gap because of bad medical advice for the last 30 or 40 years which can be corrected but at the end of the day a % of people are weak willed and advice will not help.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnypockets View Post
    Easier said than done
    Not really.
    There's a can of Coke sitting in my fridge door for the last 6 months. Adults and teenagers come and go, the beer is chilled and the fridge is constantly raided. Yet there it sits. Somehow, the message has got through.

I could eat and drink sugar with the best, but now I rarely touch the stuff. I've dropped cakes, biscuits, drinks, deserts. It wasn't easy and there were failures, but constant effort paid off.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment