rel="canonical" href="http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-social-affairs/208977-donal-walsh-national-hero-7.html" /> Dónal Walsh - national hero - Page 7
Register to Comment
Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 56789 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree357Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Lads, I think it is all a problem of perspective.

The lad is dying and feels he is missing out on so much and views people who commit suicide as an assault on the ideals he will never experience.
    Those of you who have experience suicide up close view this differently.
    Both views are not diametrically opposed but rather an outcome from an experience the other has not experienced.
    Puts life into perspective.
    I agree... but (you knew that was coming), his comments could ensure that his legacy hardens views toward mental health issues and suicide in general.

That's not a helpful legacy to leave behind. That might sound callous, but there it is.

I understand entirely his intentions and I applaud them. There is something dramatically tragic about the views of someone being wrested of their life complaining against those who take their own. His words, though, could also damage others he will leave behind - many of whom he will never have been aware.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Stop trying to make the thread about you, ok?
    Oh, well done. Feel free to reduce this thread to personal insults. I see I'm far from being the only object of your barbs.

Thats fine rus but take a look at the reactions.

It's fine to have a go at people with mental health problems but whatever you do don't tell a cancer victims he has the wrong end of the stick and that his anger at suicide victims is repugnant
    I hope you weren't referring to me in the above. I just think he has his heart in the right place but obviously to those of you who know the subject up close, it is hurtful. I fully accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    I agree... but (you knew that was coming), his comments could ensure that his legacy hardens views toward mental health issues and suicide in general.
    I don't think the suicide epidemic is all due to mental health problems. The loss of hope is not always due to a mental health issue. Its not something people like talking about as they don't want to add to the misery of those left behind.

I didn't see the show last night, but just watched on RTE Player.

Donal Walsh is an extraordinary young man, an inspiration to people of any age. Very impressive family as well. I think he represents the very best of Ireland, the antithesis of the greed, selfishness and corruption on display in recent years.

I wish him, his family and his friends the very best in the time remaining to him. He will leave behind some amazing memories.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    I hope you weren't referring to me in the above. I just think he has his heart in the right place but obviously to those of you who know the subject up close, it is hurtful. I fully accept that.
    No, I wasn't talking about you.

Comments such as
    others in perfect health, throw it all away and commit suicide
    In many young minds craving attention, the fuss around the person who took their own life might seem weirdly attractive.
    love to have the chance of life that they have but which they choose to throw away.

Meanwhile there are people who are in perfect physical health and they are killing themselves.

There is too much of the boo hoo poor me mentality in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    I don't think the suicide epidemic is all due to mental health problems. The loss of hope is not always due to a mental health issue. Its not something people like talking about as they don't want to add to the misery of those left behind.

See I can't get my head around attitudes like this. How can one arrive at such conclusions? If one takes ones own life surely they have been suffering from something why else do it.

For the laugh.

I think it is related to mental ill health in almost all cases.
    A tragic or disastrous event in one's life can bring on this corrupted suicidal thinking but that doesn't mean the suicide is a rational response to circumstances.

If one takes ones own life surely they have been suffering from something why else do it.
    There has been a huge increase in the number of teenage suicides in the last 20 years and it appears to be getting more common. Those of us who are above a certain age went through school without knowing a single case. I can accept that a lot of adult suicides were covered up but I do not believe that there has been a corresponding increase in mental problems. The overuse of alcohol, which is a depressant may contribute but saying its all down to mental illness is a cop out.

There has been a huge increase in the number of teenage suicides in the last 20 years and it appears to be getting more common. Those of us who are above a certain age went through school without knowing a single case. I can accept that a lot of adult suicides were covered up but I do not believe that there has been a corresponding increase in mental problems. The overuse of alcohol, which is a depressant may contribute but saying its all down to mental illness is a cop out.
    A cop out from what? What are we not discussing?

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 56789 17 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment