Register to Comment
Page 1 of 20 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Time to ban Homeopathy?

This excellent article Homeopathy does not work beyond a placebo effect - The Irish Times - Thu, Sep 20, 2012 in today's Irish Times lays to rest the debate about homeopathy. In essence, it is a placebo. Similarly, 'therapies' such as Reiki and Reflexology have no proven efficacy. That's fine, but the danger for many people is that alternative 'medicine' such as homeopathy encourages people to ignore conventional medicine thus depriving sick people of potential cures for their illnesses. This site What's The Harm? lists many deaths directly attributable to quackery. This section deals with deaths due to homeopathy http://whatstheharm.net/homeopathy.html.

Given this danger, is it time to ban what is simply sugar and water 'medicine'?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Absolutly and also the psychic wayne crap on TV3. Making fools of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumble View Post
    This excellent article Homeopathy does not work beyond a placebo effect - The Irish Times - Thu, Sep 20, 2012 in today's Irish Times lays to rest the debate about homeopathy. In essence, it is a placebo. Similarly, 'therapies' such as Reiki and Reflexology have no proven efficacy. That's fine, but the danger for many people is that alternative 'medicine' such as homeopathy encourages people to ignore conventional medicine thus depriving sick people of potential cures for their illnesses. This site What's The Harm? lists many deaths directly attributable to quackery. This section deals with deaths due to homeopathy What's the harm in homeopathy?.

Given this danger, is it time to ban what is simply sugar and water 'medicine'?
    Homoeopathy is, of course, complete and utter nonsense. However, so is most TV, and I'm sure we're not going to ban that. Why not impose a 300% government levy on all homoeopathic remedies sold in the state to cover the cost of the conventional medicinal interventions required to undo or alleviate the effects of such quackery?
    Last edited by statsman; 24th September 2012 at 10:01 AM.

Let's not ban it but tax it as an 'economic bad' that way some good might come out of it.
    And let's make double double sure we never fund it like the NHS did.

Excellent quote at the foot of that article to be saved up for future use:

Granted, science doesn’t know everything, and there are still many mysteries about the human body. But it will not be superstition and archaic ritual that shed light on these mysteries but rather methodological research, conducted with a sceptical attitude through the scientific method that brings new advances and understanding.

some quite sensible suggestions here on the taxing of it rather than banning it.

i don't think we should ban it, if people want to buy expensive water to cure serious diseases, then they should be allowed. but it should be clearly labelled "for entertainment purposes only" (as with the "psychic hotlines")....

but these people should be discouraged from paying massive money for distilled water so should have a high tax slapped on the products.

Dunno much about homeopathy,

But I know that I don't support the banning of anything,

So no, it shouldn't be banned,

if it ever is proven that small amounts of distilled water do cure certain illnesses, then i'm sure the state will be happy to refund the tax (out of the drugs savings which will ensue!)...

Have you seen the amount of beauty products they sell to make people look younger? Start with those frauds.

I would have had my doubts about homeopathy,until I got sick.

My wife, a biochemist,arrived into my ward with a bottle of essiac, other wise know as the cancer tea. I had started chemo, so I asked if it was okay to try it, I was veey very sick at the time, and reckoned that I had nothing to lose.Oncologist gave the ok, and I had a cup at night.

Within 2 days, I felt differently, warm but my temp was normal, suddenly I coughed up some gunk, which multiple ulcers had left in my bowel, I felt stronger, the chemo quickly took that strenght away.

Now I am not saying that it cured me, but the effecr of taking it certainly helped me and I was, and still am a doubter.

It should also be noted that many pharmaceuticals are plant based, example taxol.

Page 1 of 20 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment