Register to Comment
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Johnston View Post
    Bit of a switcheroo going on there - reducing your calorie intake to 500 for two days a week is not synonymous with "fasting" as commonly understood is it? I gather fasting means eating nothing at all.

Nonetheless, interesting study. I could use a reduced calorie intake meself...
    I've tried fasting on and off for the past few years, it does actually make one feel a lot better in general than grazing (eating a lot of small meals or snacks) when combined with exercise. Its well worth giving a shot. As for the eating nothing at all, I believe thats the general method but when you eat, you get to eat pretty big meals so it doesnt make much of a difference. Drinking water and other calorie neutral liquids is also fine during the fasting periods.

The easiest way I've found is definitely Berkhans method, which basically revolves around 8 hour eating periods followed by 16 hours of fasting. I've tried the day and two day fasts and they can leave you feeling a little (sometimes very) drained especially if your working out as well.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by physicist View Post
    I don't think it denies it, minerals and vitamins are trace dietary factors in comparison to fats, carbs and proteins even dietary fibre. It's likely eating more food means needing more minerals and vitamins to sustain the body mass. Obese people suffer mineral and vitamin deficiency. Indeed there are people who eat their five proportions of fruit and veg only to severely undo it by large amounts of saturated fats. The body is a complicated balancing system.

Berkley is a very credible university. I'd associate kudos searching to those who'd attack its investigations.
    ‘Five-a-day started as a marketing campaign by 25 fruit and vegetable companies and the American National Cancer Institute in 1991. There was no evidence for any cancer benefit.’

Can't beat good marketing

Quote Originally Posted by scallioneater View Post
    ‘Five-a-day started as a marketing campaign by 25 fruit and vegetable companies and the American National Cancer Institute in 1991. There was no evidence for any cancer benefit.’

Can't beat good marketing
    What?

Are you claiming that those who eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables are being taken in by "good marketing"?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    What?

Are you claiming that those who eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables are being taken in by "good marketing"?

I'm claiming that the 'Five-a-day' is a very successful marketing campaign, to point out how easily we can all be manipulated. Are you claiming that five portions of fruit and veg are a basic requirement of a 'healthy' diet and if so what are you basing this claim on?

I'm claiming that the 'Five-a-day' is a very successful marketing campaign, to point out how easily we can all be manipulated. Are you claiming that five portions of fruit and veg are a basic requirement of a 'healthy' diet and if so what are you basing this claim on?
    You're completely ignorant of the nutritional value of some foods over others it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    You're completely ignorant of the nutritional value of some foods over others it seems.
    About what I expected, Avoid the question and insinuate that I'm ignorant because of claims I never made. Nice. I'm off to bed, a good night sleep is good for the health too. Good luck trolling someone else!

How can it take scientists so long to realise fasting and low calorie diets have a positive effect on health and cancer treatment ?

Its a guideline, do you think people are healthier eating MacDonalds ?

Its proven that a diet rich in fruit and veg is healthier.

http://www.wisegeek.com/has-it-been-...-healthier.htm

"The short answer is a resounding yes; it has been conclusively proven through extensive worldwide studies by independent, highly respected international health advisory boards that a vegetarian diet is significantly healthier than one which includes meat and animal products. This is true for all ages, infant to adult, and includes pregnant and lactating women.

Studies have found a direct statistical correlation between decreased meat intake and increased health benefits. The chances of developing chronic diseases including high blood pressure, diabetes, coronary heart disease, obesity, kidney failure, osteoporosis and cancer, is markedly decreased among vegetarians and vegans by as much as forty percent".

The reasons people cling to eating meet is complex.

Many have happy associated and subconscious memories of mammy cooking the fry up and Sunday roast, its more to do with that then the taste of meat thats why many are so addicted to eating meat and hostile to those who dont eat meat.

Also in the past eating meat was a sign of affluence.

Yet this guy is 101, runs marathons, follows the diet of a simple Punjabi farmer. He only started running at 89.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAGcD...eature=related

When he gets ill, he simply eats porridge.
    Last edited by Polaris555; 20th August 2012 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris555 View Post
    The reasons people cling to eating meet is complex.

Many have happy associated and subconscious memories of mammy cooking the fry up and Sunday roast, its more to do with that then the taste of meat thats why man are so addicted to eating meat and hostile to those who dont eat meat.

Also in the past eating meat was a sign of affluence.

Yet this guy is 101, runs marathons, follows the diet of a simple Punjabi farmer. He only started running at 89.
    It also has a lot to do with how badly vegetables are cooked in Ireland. If you go to a good restaurant you can get beautiful veg but in most mid or low priced places its tasteless and over-boiled. At home most of us have never learned how to cook properly either. As a recent convert to better eating I am reducing my meat intake and eating more veg and salads. M&S are great for quality.

I could contemplate becoming a veggie now. Next step is a few meat free days.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment