Register to Comment
Page 479 of 496 FirstFirst ... 379429469477478479480481489 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,790 of 4952
Like Tree1985Likes
  1. #4781
    Massey Massey is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    466

    Quote Originally Posted by ruman View Post
    1)The Unions dont allow those in areas where shortages exist to be paid more then those where there are no shortages. The top consultants are subsidizing their parasitical colleagues.
    2) Many tasks that could be completed by junior doctors or nurses are blocked from being passed down by out of date work practices.
    3) Fourth rate provincial hospitals that cant attract staff are kept open by local politicians rather then having 3/4 large hospitals as should be the case in a country as small as ireland.
    You really don't have a clue, Pat.

    Paying consultants different rates based on supply and demand will only lead to massive pay increases for Psychiatrists especially paediatric psychiatrists initially.
    Many tasks performed by junior doctors are being passed onto other healthcare workers but it makes no difference to consultant recruitment.
    As for the " fourth rate provincial hospitals " . the biggest problem recruiting apart from psychiatry is in major Dublin hospitals who are loosing consultants to better paid private sector.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #4782
    cricket cricket is online now

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14,401

    I have come across these within the last few days :

    Person attending a consultant as a public patient told there would be a 4 to 5 month wait to have a procedure carried out despite the fact that he is in a lot of pain.
    Then told that if he attended the same consultant but on a different day, this time as a private patient , he would have it done within 2 weeks or maybe sooner if there was a cancellation.
    Another person I know attending a different consultant as a private patient told payment was by cash only. Receipt issued was from a book of them that you could buy locally for about €3.

    If ever there was a need for a revolution ...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #4783
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45,350

    The replay of the RTE Investigates story from 2017 last week revealed that many consultants are breaking the Consultants Contract that requires them to spend no more than 20% of their time in private practice. They followed consultants and revealed one of them was in private practice 19 hours and public only around 15. Biggest problems are in a line extending from Dublin to midlands to Clare. In one hospital on the programe in the midlands, the private sector ratio was over 50%.

    Consultants representative on the programme mentioned that the 2008 contract assumed there would be private hospital co-location and that hasnt happened.

    .....20) Regulation of private practice
    a) Subject to the provisions of this section, the Consultant may engage in
    privately remunerated professional medical/dental practice as determined by
    his or her Contract Type as described at Section 21 below.
    b) The volume of private practice may not exceed 20% of the Consultant’s
    workload in any of his or her clinical activities, including in-patient, daypatient
    and out-patient.
    c) The volume of practice shall refer to patient throughput adjusted for
    complexity through the medium of the Casemix system.
    d) The 80:20 ratio of public to private practice will be implemented through the
    Clinical Directorate structure. The Employer has full authority to take all
    necessary steps to ensure that for each .....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4784
    Massey Massey is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    466

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    The replay of the RTE Investigates story from 2017 last week revealed that many consultants are breaking the Consultants Contract that requires them to spend no more than 20% of their time in private practice. They followed consultants and revealed one of them was in private practice 19 hours and public only around 15. Biggest problems are in a line extending from Dublin to midlands to Clare. In one hospital on the programe in the midlands, the private sector ratio was over 50%.

    Consultants representative on the programme mentioned that the 2008 contract assumed there would be private hospital co-location and that hasnt happened.
    Amazing with such a cushy number there is a shortage of consultants!

    Also amazing that RTE did not name the consultant,........ probably learned the hard way after another made up story where the named a priest as a child abuser.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #4785
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45,350

    BTW The episode of RTE Investigates on the consultants contract breaches is here.

    https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/rt...10903916/?ap=1
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #4786
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45,350

    Quote Originally Posted by Massey View Post
    Amazing with such a cushy number there is a shortage of consultants!

    Also amazing that RTE did not name the consultant,........ probably learned the hard way after another made up story where the named a priest as a child abuser.
    Dont think so. The litany of health service bigwigs refusing interviews with RTE on the breaches of the contract is damning.

    I have personal experience of the consequences of these breaches having stayed in a public hospital.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #4787
    Massey Massey is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    466

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Dont think so. The litany of health service bigwigs refusing interviews with RTE on the breaches of the contract is damning.

    I have personal experience of the consequences of these breaches having stayed in a public hospital.
    Voluntary or involuntary?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #4788
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45,350

    Quote Originally Posted by Massey View Post
    Voluntary or involuntary?
    I had to be hospitalised in a bad state and Im better (still needs monitoring) now but the overcrowding was awful and I attribute that in part to the failure to enforce the contract.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #4789
    Uganda Uganda is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8,721

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    The replay of the RTE Investigates story from 2017 last week revealed that many consultants are breaking the Consultants Contract that requires them to spend no more than 20% of their time in private practice. They followed consultants and revealed one of them was in private practice 19 hours and public only around 15. Biggest problems are in a line extending from Dublin to midlands to Clare. In one hospital on the programe in the midlands, the private sector ratio was over 50%.
    .
    I don't doubt this is all true.

    But in any organisation where the supplier of a service fails to supply as agreed, the managers go after them for non-performance.

    All we need is managers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #4790
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45,350

    Quote Originally Posted by Uganda View Post
    I don't doubt this is all true.

    But in any organisation where the supplier of a service fails to supply as agreed, the managers go after them for non-performance.

    All we need is managers.
    Which raises another problem mentioned on the programme. The lack of consultants in public hospitals means that admissions-decisions are being made by junior doctors, who are far more likely to admit patients than consultants. That also contributes to overcrowding imho.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment