Register to Comment
Page 3 of 461 FirstFirst 12345 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Like Tree1931Likes

The HSE reminds me of the Seanad. Both are unfit for purpose, both have defenders who say reform rather than abolish, despite the track record of each showing they are incapable of reform.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    The HSE reminds me of the Seanad. Both are unfit for purpose, both have defenders who say reform rather than abolish, despite the track record of each showing they are incapable of reform.
    The HSE have been about for 5 years wombat. In what areas has this organisation proved itself unfit for purpose? How is returning to several sub sections headed by political appointees going to improve the situation?

I'm curious, being a lowly frontline staff member who has seen improvements in standards of care delivered in recent years and much less waste and more accountability ....

Unfortunately, I would hold the view that the DOHC is also unfit for purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    Unfortunately, I would hold the view that the DOHC is also unfit for purpose.
    Abolition of the board of the HSE to be replaced by a directorate. This includes a director general and 6 directors (all political appointees!) for primary care, hospital care, mental health, public health and well being and children and social care. All with separate budgets.

Minister Reilly believes these structural changes are key to delivering for patients. We'll see.

Reilly publishes Health Service Executive (Governance) Bill 2012 « MerrionStreet.ie Irish Government News Service

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    The HSE have been about for 5 years wombat. In what areas has this organisation proved itself unfit for purpose? How is returning to several sub sections headed by political appointees going to improve the situation?
    For a start, it inherited a collection of non health related functions from the health boards. The dept of health needs to concentrate on health issues, not welfare payments. My understanding is that Reilly's abolition of the board will be followed by the break up of the organisation where people will stick to their knitting - time will tell.

The health care system in Ireland sure is in a bit off a mess at the moment. Cant say I well add my voice to discontent with reform though as I am in the belief that reforming anything as big and bold as the health care system here needs time and lots off it. 10 years say. After all going on about a select few things like pay for consultants and such is just PR on one side or the other. Some one can easy say we need to cut pay for the top and then cut pay for those on the bottom but all this does is give some reason hit the road and what they leave behind is a gap that would be filled or not depending the the freeze on recruitment.
    As I say, we need to take a long term approach to health care and in tens years time with proper order in place we should have a system that returns value for money. In short, we need to give FG/Lab time and what ever government comes along next, with hope well see the value in what that laid down and follow through with the original plan as opposed to doing a PR gig by sticking a great big ore in it and setting it back a few years more.

Money, the lack thereof?
    Not the case, the one thing Fianna Fáil did with the Health service was throw money at it like confetti and look where that got them. Increased funding will only be swallowed by the black hole. Root and branch reform of the way it is managed is the answer.

For a start, it inherited a collection of non health related functions from the health boards. The dept of health needs to concentrate on health issues, not welfare payments. My understanding is that Reilly's abolition of the board will be followed by the break up of the organisation where people will stick to their knitting - time will tell.
    That would be a point there is a lot of stuff covered by health boards that are not health board issues. Like for instance someone applying for the dole in need of payments gets money from the health board while waiting for approval, why the hell can't this just be done through social welfare?

Any idea how this government is going to fund and implement the universal health insurance? Any idea what is preventing this government from tackling GP and hospital consultant pay? Why u-turn on allowing public hospitals to charge all private patients? Is the Special Delivery Unit that has reduced trolley waits in A/E (by 20%) really a success if it has had a knock on effect in other areas, with thousands more patients waiting longer for hospital procedures?

Just wondering ...

And should all the new directors (7 in total) be political appointees wombat? Surely suitably qualified and experienced professionals should apply for these positions and the best candidate given the position?
    Last edited by ger12; 22nd July 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Abolition of the board of the HSE to be replaced by a directorate. This includes a director general and 6 directors (all political appointees!) for primary care, hospital care, mental health, public health and well being and children and social care. All with separate budgets.
    How does giving these directorates their own budget fit in with the principle of 'the money follows the patient'?
    If a patient is in hospital the the primary care section will want them to stay there, using up the hospital budget, rather than moving to a more cost effective community setting.
    Every area will be trying to push patients into other areas, and out of 'their' budget, rather than trying to find the best, and the cheapest, way to acually treat them. It won't be a case of 'falling between two stools' it will be be 'falling between six stools.'

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment