Register to Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Mood Watchers

Today I attended a staff training day at a local hotel. I went to this event because, well, I had to. Our employer sent us and, based on most of the other training days I've attended, I didn't expect much.

Folks, let me tell you, today was the most engaging, enjoyable, uplifting and informative public talk I have ever attended.

The speaker was Shane Martin, a psychologist from Co. Monaghan. After just 5 minutes of listening to this man I wondered, "how come I've never heard of this guy before? He's amazing."

He spoke about the most important things in this life - health and happiness - and he did so with great humour and compassion; drawing on his years of experience and giving plenty of practical advice.

Shane Martin began his professional working life as a secondary school teacher but he was eventaully drawn to psychology. From the mere 3 hours I spent listening to him today, I believe he's certainly found his vocation. What struck me was that he appears to genuinely care about people's well being. He certainly has no commercial agenda; he isn't flogging books or DVDs and there are no "10 easy steps". He comes across, simply, as a professional who is willing, able and eager to share his knowledge and experience which may help people achieve healthier and happier lives.

Perhaps some of you have heard of Shane Martin and are familiar with his work? If so, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Personaly, I can't recommend his message enough. He offers community based courses and seminars and he also runs what seems to be a lively blog.

You can visit his site by following the link below.

? It?s never too late to be healthier and happier!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Are you on commission or wha'?

Happy Workers are productive workers!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post

I had a feeling someone would say that. No, I'm not. Don't know the man from Adam. I was just genuinely impressed by his talk today.

We all know there's a lot of mental health awareness stuff going on in the media nowadays. The message seems to be, "it's good to talk about mental helath and associated problems" (and no doubt it is). But the question is, talk to who? If you don't want to or can't afford to see a therapist, this is an excellent free online resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    Happy Workers are productive workers!
    No doubt about it.

Taken from Shane Martin's website:

"The mind is its own place – it can make heaven out of hell or hell out of heaven”.

We are thinking beings. The first thing we do when we wake up is have our first thought of the day. The last thing we do before we fall asleep is have our final thought of the day. We know from brain imaging that the part of our brain associated with thinking is sometimes even more active while we sleep. We are constantly thinking -making sense of ourselves, others and the world around us. Most of our thoughts are never expressed. We think a lot to ourselves! Often we conclude about things without having the evidence. Sometimes we make decisions without the voice of reason being in the room with us. We become know-alls!!

The danger is that we often join the dots about things without really knowing all the facts. All of us are vulnerable to irrational, unhelpful and illogical thinking. It’s important to work at being more rational and compassionate. Often it is not the things that happen to us but rather the meaning that we attach to those things that makes the difference. John Milton, the poet, was more of a psychologist than he probably meant to be when he said “The mind is its own place – it can make heaven out of hell or hell out of heaven”. I think that he is right. The same things do not affect people in the same way. Often our wellness or happiness is very much interlinked with the sense we make of ourselves. It’s important to become our own best friend rather than own worse enemy in times of challenge!
    moodwatchers – blog of poet and psychologist Shane Martin | Poetry and psychology

There is a poet and writer Shane Martin from I think Carrickmacross. I wonder is it the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    You need to speak to someone regarding your negativity and suspicion of others.

May I suggest you see the wonderful Shane Martin?

Or even better, if you send me just 199.95, I will send you my special "How not to be a negative suspicious person" guide via e-mail! (plus 9.95 postage)

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    There is a poet and writer Shane Martin from I think Carrickmacross. I wonder is it the same guy.
    It's the very same guy GG - how did you come across him?

How different is this from the old..

" what do you want right now .. ?"

" A blond and a week off ".

???????

The only truely happy workers are those who get in to get out.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment