Register to Comment
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52
Like Tree43Likes
  1. #31
    TARZAN TARZAN is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,469

    American multi national companies have been using this tactic for years and the Japanese for even longer. A happy worker is a loyal worker and as such is willing to put the company's interest before their home life. If you can convince the workers that they are happy even if they aren't it's a win win situation for the company.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #32
    gatsbygirl20 gatsbygirl20 is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15,767

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai123 View Post
    My employer is hell bent on making his employees life a living hell. I actually have to meet him on Friday to have a wording about an order that never arrived. As far as he is concerned I never ordered it.

    I can see money flowing out of his business and could give 5 very good suggestions on turning a better profit, but why should I?

    We have had good times and everyone works together took a responsibility in the business and cared. Now everything could not give a ************************. Happy workers are productive workers is so true.

    So true. It is the answer to everything. And I guess the reason why people focus on "managers" .

    I have been blessed with wonderful bosses who respect their staff, and who command extraordinary loyalty in return. My boss does not over-focus on the tiny number of "under-performers" nor does he make the rest of us suffer because of them by cracking down on everyone.

    He focuses on the positive all the time, keeps our eye fixed on that positive goal. He is quiet but strong, and people want his approval and respect, so they go that extra mile.

    He acts like he expects great things from us--why else would we be working for him--and he gets it.

    A relative of mine works in a factory. A new young, kick-ass manager has been brought in to up productivity.

    It is a disaster. He shouts abuse, threatens, changes plans at the last minute, panics....He squares up to an old guy who used to do lots of unpaid overtime, ---a guy really loyal to the company who would never leave til his task was seen through---and makes sneering, ageist comments.

    Productivity is down, toxic environment, chaos rules, stress levels high---my relative has taken up smoking again from the stress.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #33
    Twin Towers Twin Towers is offline
    Twin Towers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,451

    I like what he says about the greatest friend of depression being solitude and the greatest enemy is distraction.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #34
    Lonewolfe Lonewolfe is online now

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16,330

    Quote Originally Posted by TARZAN View Post
    American multi national companies have been using this tactic for years and the Japanese for even longer. A happy worker is a loyal worker and as such is willing to put the company's interest before their home life. If you can convince the workers that they are happy even if they aren't it's a win win situation for the company.
    That's pretty cynical Tarzan. The reason we were sent to this talk is because there's a lot of stress in our work place at the moment (like many people's workplaces nowadays). But the idea behind the psychology isn't simply to increase productivity (although I'm sure our employer would welcome it) rather it's to imprve general health and happiness.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #35
    amsterdemmetje amsterdemmetje is offline
    amsterdemmetje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,992

    Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    But of course! I accept PayPal - PM me.

    Do you have a bald head? I like bald heads...

    I have a foolproof shining method for heads, but I'd need to demonstrate in person as it's a complex technique.

    As I said, PM me.
    Was in my local on Sunday afternoon and was about to put my first pint in ages to my mouth when a drunk woman behind me called me a baldy fupper. Now Im not bald but i do have a shaved head and as i said before some people would say Im scary looking, so when she said it you could hear a pin drop . I just drank my pint in one gulp and left ,my faith in human kind gets less and less every day.
    Ill pass on the old free demonstration as your beginning to scare me.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #36
    gatsbygirl20 gatsbygirl20 is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15,767

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post
    That's pretty cynical Tarzan. The reason we were sent to this talk is because there's a lot of stress in our work place at the moment (like many people's workplaces nowadays). But the idea behind the psychology isn't simply to increase productivity (although I'm sure our employer would welcome it) rather it's to imprve general health and happiness.

    Yes, unless you are a natural bully or the kind of person who loves bringing their little psychodramas into the workplace, you will want a happy work environment.

    This is as true for the boss as the workers.

    I do not know how anyone--boss or employee--can go in day after day to a toxic, negative work environment.

    I could not do it.

    No matter how tough your job is, having positive, happy, supportive colleagues and boss will see you through ....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #37
    Lonewolfe Lonewolfe is online now

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16,330

    Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    Yes, unless you are a natural bully or the kind of person who loves bringing their little psychodramas into the workplace, you will want a happy work environment.

    This is as true for the boss as the workers.

    I do not know how anyone--boss or employee--can go in day after day to a toxic, negative work environment.

    I could not do it.

    No matter how tough your job is, having positive, happy, supportive colleagues and boss will see you through ....
    Indeed gg. Stress was discussed a lot in the talk and how it manifests in our lives and the effects it can have. Altough some people say things like, "I'm naturally a worrier", it's fascinating to see how we bring it on ourselves through our mismanagement of relationships, time and tasks.

    Competence was also discussed and it was very interesting. A lot of people take on or are appointed to work which they're not trained up to do; this isn't good for anyone.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #38
    TARZAN TARZAN is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,469

    Past experience has taught me to be cynical when companies bring in psychologists to try and convince their workers that they should '' be happy in their nappies''.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #39
    Lonewolfe Lonewolfe is online now

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16,330

    Quote Originally Posted by TARZAN View Post
    Past experience has taught me to be cynical when companies bring in psychologists to try and convince their workers that they should '' be happy in their nappies''.
    Who cares what the employer's motives are if the training helps you in your personal as well as working life?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #40
    TARZAN TARZAN is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,469

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post
    Who cares what the employer's motives are if the training helps you in your personal as well as working life? Do you seriously believe that a once off lecture of 3 hours will solve the staffs stress problems . You would need one of these talks every couple of months for it to have any lasting effect and I cannot ever remember any company offering such backups , have you?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment