Register to Comment
Page 76 of 143 FirstFirst ... 26 667475767778 86 126 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 1427
Like Tree498Likes
  1. #751
    uriah uriah is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,705

    Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    “Greatest possible accessibility” does not mean “by private car”. This, in turn, doesn’t mean that anyone approaching the hospital by private car will find their way blocked by road spikes. It just means that access is only one issue to be decided.

    At some level, you simply must acknowledge that it is ignorant and stupid to talk as if the question of the location of a childrens hospital should be decided solely on the basis of the car parking needs of parents.

    By all means, present informed reasons why you think the project is flawed. But this fixation with car parking is beyond a joke.
    I haven't referred to parking, but it is an important consideration.

    It has been admitted that the current plan compromised on the size and facilities of the proposed hospital in order to fit it into the Mater site. So this national children's hospital was going to be inadequate from the start, with some clinical facilities, which ideally would be on site, instead shunted off to other hospitals. And there was no room for any future development.

    The decision to settle for this was a bad one.

    To now proceed with a scaled-down version of something which was already inadequate wouuld be appalling.

    We really can do better than this.
    Bord Pleanala's decision has given us that chance.

    Where ever this hospital is to be built, it must be of a size that will provide absolutely everything that such a facility can and should provide for our population in 2012. And it must have room for future development.
    That is the minimum requirement.

    It must be possible to build a national maternity hospital on the same site.

    And (if this is what is required) it must be close to an adult teaching hospital, or on a site which can accommodate such a hospital in the future.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #752
    Will Yam Will Yam is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,034

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    From reading the last few pages it seems to be only you who is obsessed with Newland's Cross...
    No. Noel Smith is as well. After all who else is going to give him 2005 price for his field?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #753
    wishywashy wishywashy is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,628

    Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    The best childrens hospitals in the world that deliver the best outcomes for the children they are there to serve are located beside adult teaching hospitals. They are able to utilise the expertise and resources a large teaching hospital has to offer. It has to be James or the Mater.
    Why has it to be James or the Mater? To keep the ************************************g jackeens happy?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #754
    uriah uriah is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,705

    Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    Substantiate your comments, in the light of the assessment linked to this thread.

    Enough of this vague waffle. Make your case, or shut up.

    I think Spanner Island made his case particularly well.
    Perhaps you need to open your mind and hear what others are saying in a perfectly reasonable manner.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #755
    Will Yam Will Yam is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,034

    Quote Originally Posted by wishywashy View Post
    Why has it to be James or the Mater? To keep the ************************************g jackeens happy?

    No, to keep the b***********O***********G***********G************E ************R**********S out.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #756
    uriah uriah is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,705

    Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    I don't know what sort of demented mind thinks that parking factors *in any way* into the decision making of parents with sick children.
    When their child is very ill, parents will do anything and go any distance to get the best possible care for their child.

    But believe me, over time, parking does become an issue when only one parent is travelling with the child.

    In many hospitals, finding a parking space can be a nightmare, so parents usually find that both must accompany the child so that one parent can accompany the child into the hospital while the other finds a parking space. Sometimes it involves one parent making repeated trips to either move the car or change the parking disk.
    It means that both parents must take time off from work/be away from home.
    Of course it is not a top priority, but why not consider it when doing the overall planning?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #757
    Will Yam Will Yam is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,034

    Quote Originally Posted by uriah View Post
    When their child is very ill, parents will do anything and go any distance to get the best possible care for their child.

    But believe me, over time, parking does become an issue when only one parent is travelling with the child.

    In many hospitals, finding a parking space can be a nightmare, so parents usually find that both must accompany the child so that one parent can accompany the child into the hospital while the other finds a parking space. Sometimes it involves one parent making repeated trips to either move the car or change the parking disk.
    It means that both parents must take time off from work/be away from home.
    Of course it is not a top priority, but why not consider it when doing the overall planning?
    Of course it should be taken into consideration, but its not the be all and end all.

    Having been there many times I'd opt for first class medical care at the Mater any day over second rate at Newlands Cross (no matter how easy the parking, or how pleasant the industrial estate............)
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #758
    uriah uriah is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,705

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Yam View Post
    Of course it should be taken into consideration, but its not the be all and end all.

    Having been there many times I'd opt for first class medical care at the Mater any day over second rate at Newlands Cross (no matter how easy the parking, or how pleasant the industrial estate............)
    First class medical care can surely be provided at sites other than the Mater site which can accommodate only a less than ideal national children's hospital. Any hospital built there cannot accommodate all the clinical facilities such a hospital should provide even now.
    And it has absolutely no scope for future development.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #759
    Will Yam Will Yam is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,034

    Quote Originally Posted by uriah View Post
    First class medical care can surely be provided at sites other than the Mater site which necessitates a less than ideal national children's hospital. Any hospital built there cannot accommodate all the clinical facilities such a hospital should provide even now.
    And it has absolutely no scope for future development.
    Apart from James or Tallaght there arent. Not sure why the others cant - did read it up spme time ago but have forgotten.

    But the optimum medical care cannot be provided on the M50 or any other greenfield site.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #760
    uriah uriah is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,705

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Yam View Post
    Apart from James or Tallaght there arent. Not sure why the others cant - did read it up spme time ago but have forgotten.

    But the optimum medical care cannot be provided on the M50 or any other greenfield site.
    Why not?

    Why not build a state of the art national children's hospital together with a national maternity hospital, with an adult teaching hospital being added as soon as possible?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment