Register to Comment
Page 1 of 73 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree252Likes

Can the Greens make a comeback?

Since their complete annihilation in the general election of 2011 things haven't been too good for the Greens. With no seats in the Dáil they are finding it hard to get exposure and this is showing in continuous opinion polling which, if it were an election, the Greens still wouldn't be able to win a Dáil seat. Even the Green Party forum here has gone all quiet since the 2011 election.

They deserved their performance in the last election although I wouldn't put all of the blame for the economic mess entirely on the Greens as they only came in at the end for FF's third straight term in power. They nevertheless kept FF in government passing through draconian measures like the various cruel austerity budgets, the creation of that horrible quango NAMA, Cowen's drinkgate and it was their role in government that saw the introduction of the carbon tax which is killing some businesses. John Gormley, their leader through government, was increasingly arrogant and out of touch doing interviews and TV appearances. I didn't give them a preference in the last election. However come the next election I intend to give them a preference. Green issues are important in this day and age and they are somewhat clean now of the FF manure they attached themselves to for 4 years. They'd probably be up against it in the next election with the lack of profile due to no Dáil seats I already mentioned and as an environment party wanting to regain it's lost seats in a time when it's the economy stupid.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I think the greens are now compost

The greens are not in the DNA of some people the way FF seem to be so they may not get the second chance that FF seem to be getting, but my any measure they carry much less guilt then FF so they deserve a but more of a chance then them.
    If they waited a few more years and the economy picks up again then urban, middle class educated types may feel a leisurely piece of folly-voting is in order, who knows.

Bleat about corruption and then the bicycle shop owner indirectly gives his company free govt money.
    If it wasn't so obvious it'd be sad.

Not with Gormley and Ryan who acts like he's the second coming they can't.

I wonder where the Greens would be now if they didn't go into government with FF in 2007. They definitely would have increased their seats, around the 10-12 seats mark. We might have had an FG/Green government instead of a FG/Labour government. FG/Green government would have been interesting! Public Sector, CPA and Social Welfare wouldn't be getting the shelter they are currently getting.

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post

They nevertheless kept FF in government passing through draconian measures like the various cruel austerity budgets, the creation of that horrible quango NAMA, Cowen's drinkgate and it was their role in government that saw the introduction of the carbon tax which is killing some businesses.
    That's fu-kking priceless coming from a FG supporter. Have you been living in a cave for the last 2 years?

I wonder where the Greens would be now if they didn't go into government with FF in 2007. They definitely would have increased their seats, around the 10-12 seats mark. We might have had an FG/Green government instead of a FG/Labour government. FG/Green government would have been interesting! Public Sector, CPA and Social Welfare wouldn't be getting the shelter they are currently getting.
    And then they would have lost all 12 seats in 2016 and be precisely where they are now, except 4 years behind in their rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    That's fu-kking priceless coming from a FG supporter. Have you been living in a cave for the last 2 years?
    Call me up on the budgets fair enough but the rest stands firm. At least our Taoiseach hasn't gone on national radio hungover and possibly still drunk.

I'm convinced if the Greens had pulled the plug on the poisonous eFFing traitors a lot earlier than they did that they'd have reaped electoral rewards...

But they didn't. Instead we had to endure their pathetic subservience and watch them cling on due to a combination of getting a few of their pet projects started and being afraid to be seen losing their bottle had they pulled the plug...

I guess the eFFing traitors knew exactly what they were doing when they told the Greens they were in the big league now and that they couldn't buckle at the first sign of trouble and all the rest of the horse sh!t they loved coming out with...

The Greens screwed themselves by not pulling the plug a lot earlier on the most despised government in the history of this state...

Page 1 of 73 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment