Register to Comment
Page 1 of 656 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Like Tree2984Likes

Russia 'backed Litvinenko murder' (Original Thread)

The murder of former Russian agent Alexander Litvinenko was carried out with the backing of the Russian state, Whitehall sources have told the BBC.

A senior security official told Newsnight there were "very strong indications it was a state action".

Mr Litvinenko, who was a fierce critic of former Russian President Vladimir Putin, was poisoned in London in 2006.

Interesting story here.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

re: Russia 'backed Litvinenko murder' (Original Thread)

I thought this "story" was very funny. I had just finished watching a recording of the BBC program on the 9/11 conspiracy, which concluded, as they always do, with a famous politician telling us there are never any conspiracies.

Then I turn on Newsnight, and their main story is that the Russian government conspired to kill a nobody former spy with the most ludicrous way possible. Their evidence for this story: "security sources".

A more honest headline would have been: "Brown wants better relations with Russia, MI5 tries to prevent this with conspiracy theory leak".

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan
    I thought this "story" was very funny. I had just finished watching a recording of the BBC program on the 9/11 conspiracy, which concluded, as they always do, with a famous politician telling us there are never any conspiracies.

Then I turn on Newsnight, and their main story is that the Russian government conspired to kill a nobody former spy with the most ludicrous way possible. Their evidence for this story: "security sources".

A more honest headline would have been: "Brown wants better relations with Russia, MI5 tries to prevent this with conspiracy theory leak".
    Did he? Thats amazing considering that they were showing footage of Nixon and 'There will be no whitewash, at the whitehouse' i.e. Watergate.

I.e. there is a difference between a state like Russia possibly murdering a dissident located in a foreign country and a state like the US possibly murdering 3000 of its own citizens...

Or isn't there?

The Russians sent a major message to Berevosky that they have very long arms and can reach him whenever they want, just need to know where all his money is first so they can steal it at the same time.
    It also lets the other Oligarchs know that they are not safe anywhere if they do not bend to the wishes of the Kremlin, even golden boy, Abramovich.
    You could probably safely bet they have got their grubby hands on Milosovic's ill-gotten gains in return for protection for his family now resident in Moscow.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor the Bold

Did he? Thats amazing considering that they were showing footage of Nixon and 'There will be no whitewash, at the whitehouse' i.e. Watergate.

I.e. there is a difference between a state like Russia possibly murdering a dissident located in a foreign country and a state like the US possibly murdering 3000 of its own citizens...

Or isn't there?
    Whether the US was involved in 9/11 or not isn't really the point.

The BBC is repeating as fact what MI5 want repeated, at the time they want it repeated. Uncritically, repeated as fact. All the odds and ends of the theory are swept aside. They are doing exactly what they had criticised the "conspiracy theorists" for doing (which I agree they do).

Russia does plenty of dodgy things, some of which the western establishment wants us to know about and some that it doesn't. (i.e the BBC will find "security sources" for some stories and run them, for others they will find no government sources and drop the story.) If you read the Russian press, it is a mirror image of the UK press. Theorys about what MI5 does are repeated as fact if the power that be want it, and ignored if they don't.

So why are they telling us this, now? Because Brown is trying to smooth over the UK-Russia rift, and MI5 don't want that to succeed.

Or isn't there?
    Whether the US was involved in 9/11 or not isn't really the point.

The BBC is repeating as fact what MI5 want repeated, at the time they want it repeated. Uncritically, repeated as fact. All the odds and ends of the theory are swept aside. They are doing exactly what they had criticised the "conspiracy theorists" for doing (which I agree they do).

Russia does plenty of dodgy things, some of which the western establishment wants us to know about and some that it doesn't. (i.e the BBC will find "security sources" for some stories and run them, for others they will find no government sources and drop the story.) If you read the Russian press, it is a mirror image of the UK press. Theorys about what MI5 does are repeated as fact if the power that be want it, and ignored if they don't.

So why are they telling us this, now? Because Brown is trying to smooth over the UK-Russia rift, and MI5 don't want that to succeed.
    Right...

And why exactly does the Security Service not want Brown to succeed?

Right...

Its back to the good old days of the cold war. Watch those spy budgets grow.

russia probably did kill Litvinenko but what do we know about him maybe he had it coming.I have a list of enemies that i am emailing to the russians right now .I hope you know who you are.By the way Putin i overheard that Mugabe calling you a russian horses ass what you going to do about it.

Right...

Its back to the good old days of the cold war. Watch those spy budgets grow.
    Right...

So as well as fighting the new Islamic extremists prelevant in the country, the Security Service wants to return the back to the Cold war... to increase budgets .

I think the security service budget has already grown quite a bit, and accusing Russia of killing a Russian Dissident is hardly likely to let them grow further.

It seems Brown's mission to moscow has been a failure.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 287269.ece

Relations between Britain and Russia remained in the deep freeze last night after Gordon Brown appeared to have made little headway in his first meeting with President Medvedev.

At an hour-long meeting, the Prime Minister protested at the treatment by the Russian authorities of BP, the closure of British Council posts and the refusal to extradite the suspected murderer of the dissident former spy Alexander Litvinenko.

Although there was no stand-up row between the two, neither claimed any breakthrough in relations. At least half of the meeting was taken up with Mr Brown’s complaints.

Page 1 of 656 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment