Register to Comment
Page 2 of 608 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast
Like Tree2805Likes
    Twitter
    @

Re: Russia 'backed Litvinenko murder'

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan
    It seems Brown's mission to moscow has been a failure.
    Yes, though I do not see what breakthrough either side really expected. The current impass perhaps suits Britain better with Russia not keen to deepen its diplomatic and cultural isolation.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Then I turn on Newsnight, and their main story is that the Russian government conspired to kill a nobody former spy with the most ludicrous way possible.
    He wasn't even a former spy, really. "Spy" implies that he was involved in state secrets. All he was was an informer working for the FSB's organised crime unit.

Where, of course, he had plenty of opportunities to meet people with more motive to kill him than the Kremlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man
    Yes, though I do not see what breakthrough either side really expected. The current impass perhaps suits Britain better with Russia not keen to deepen its diplomatic and cultural isolation.
    Russia's isolation is a bit in the British imagination. "Fog on channel, Europe cut off".

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday
    Then I turn on Newsnight, and their main story is that the Russian government conspired to kill a nobody former spy with the most ludicrous way possible.
    He wasn't even a former spy, really. "Spy" implies that he was involved in state secrets. All he was was an informer working for the FSB's organised crime unit.

Where, of course, he had plenty of opportunities to meet people with more motive to kill him than the Kremlin.
    Indeed. And he wasn't idle after moving to the UK. BBC Radio 4 ran an excellent documentary about 2 years ago which covered what he'd been up to in the UK. He managed to annoy a number of Russian businessmen/mafia, any of which could have afforded the millions of dollars worth of polonium used to kill him.

I don't know who killed him, but I'm fairly sure that if the FSB had wanted him dead it would have been done with more professionalism and without leaving so obvious an evidence trail. He would have probably just had a car accident or been stabbed by some junky on a dark london alley. Certainly, the media circus would have been avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday

Indeed. And he wasn't idle after moving to the UK. BBC Radio 4 ran an excellent documentary about 2 years ago which covered what he'd been up to in the UK. He managed to annoy a number of Russian businessmen/mafia, any of which could have afforded the millions of dollars worth of polonium used to kill him.

The FSB is split into different factions who work independent of each other and very few would know what the other is involved in, they jealously guard their contacts as they are poorly paid and operate like a Mafia family in extotion and protection rackets.
    Any FSB lad with half a brain turns into a "biznisman" and bluffs and bullies his way to a fortune just like the guy (?) the Brits accuse of killing Litvinenko.

The decision to kill L in London was probably taken on by one of these factions as a favour to Putin or his mates, arse-licking if you like and the polonium bit because they could and showing off but no way did they think it could be traced back like it was.

At a guess Putin happy with the result but furious about the performance.

Twitter
    @

Russia's isolation is a bit in the British imagination. "Fog on channel, Europe cut off".
    Thats why we have so many Russian products on our shelves? So much Russian culture on our TVs? Such vaste cultural interchange and commerce between the EU and Russia? Is this why we in the EU have sooooo many joint diplomatic and political projects ongoing with Russia? Oh and lets not forget our close military co-operation..... all of this is of course no suprise given that Russias own population is comparable to the EUs.

Someones been drinking the anti-freeze again.

Thats why we have so many Russian products on our shelves? So much Russian culture on our TVs? Such vaste cultural interchange and commerce between the EU and Russia? Is this why we in the EU have sooooo many joint diplomatic and political projects ongoing with Russia? Oh and lets not forget our close military co-operation..... all of this is of course no suprise given that Russias own population is comparable to the EUs.

Someones been drinking the anti-freeze again.
    So Russia is 'isolated' because we don't show Russian soap opera's? Well then Ireland is fierce isolated from the EU because I've never seen Fair City on Arte.

Fact of the matter is that Russia could continue quite happily without the EU, but we'd have a very cold winter without Russian oil and gas. European politicians make noises about Russia being 'bad', yet we quietly import their oil and gas. Does that make Russia isolated?

It seems Alexander Litvinenko was a paid employee of MI6 when he was murdered.
    Also,he was said to be working for spanish secret services.

Alexander Litvinenko murder: British evidence 'shows Russia involved' | World news | The Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by james toney View Post
    It seems Alexander Litvinenko was a paid employee of MI6 when he was murdered.
    Also,he was said to be working for spanish secret services.

Alexander Litvinenko murder: British evidence 'shows Russia involved' | World news | The Guardian
    There will be more twists and turns in this then the back road to Tramore. Litvinenko got way in over his head in the murky and seedy world of espionage and paid for it with his life. I think that Lugovoi has questions to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    There will be more twists and turns in this then the back road to Tramore. Litvinenko got way in over his head in the murky and seedy world of espionage and paid for it with his life. I think that Lugovoi has questions to answer.
    But I doubt he ever will.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment