Register to Comment
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 258
Like Tree116Likes
  1. #121
    valamhic valamhic is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,783

    Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    The State Department's top envoy on North Korea (Joseph Yun) retired earlier this year (he was a career official, to be clear). Here's what he had to say on the summit:

    "This is what N. Korea has wanted from the beginning, and I cannot believe that our side allowed it…I am quite simply surprised that months of negotiations produced so little.”
    That is not what the agreement or the NK News report says. Trump did not have to give billions of dollars in cash like Obozo did to Iran.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #122
    valamhic valamhic is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,783

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Really, there has been no change in policy at all.

    It was always to get NK to the negotiating table, willing to make a deal.

    We have been here before, though without the concessions and massaging of a Dictator's ego (I mean Kim's ego, not Trump's, he is not a dictator, though he would clearly love to be).

    Trump claims the difference is "We have a different President, and a different Secretary of State", and (he did not say) a different Kim.

    "This time it's different" are dangerous words. We just have to wait and see.
    Out of character but wise words. ""This time it's different" are dangerous words. We just have to wait and see."
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #123
    The OD The OD is offline
    The OD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    18,742

    Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    You're playing a game of high-stakes poker. You settle in, size up every other player and plan your strategy based on your observations of each of your opponents.

    Right at the off you're dealt a winning hand. What's the first thing you do?

    According to the Trump School of Business Acumen you tell everybody else what you're holding.

    Never fails, apparently.
    Brilliant!

    Can't give enough likes for that, Hewson.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #124
    Trainwreck Trainwreck is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26,054

    Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    You're playing a game of high-stakes poker. You settle in, size up every other player and plan your strategy based on your observations of each of your opponents.

    Right at the off you're dealt a winning hand. What's the first thing you do?

    According to the Trump School of Business Acumen you tell everybody else what you're holding.

    Never fails, apparently.


    This is a bargain, not a poker game.


    You persuade someone into the bargain by contrasting the severe cost of what they would lose, versus the massive benefit of what they have to gain. He has given Kim a small glimpse of what it would be like to be what he really wants to be; a genuine President accepted on the world stage. Or, as he made it clear, Kim can go back to being the king of his small impoverished and isolated backwater.



    But of course, you are the famous millionaire businessman, who successfully and unprecedentedly parlayed themselves into the Oval office, so we should all listen to you.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #125
    Politics matters Politics matters is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,679

    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Rommel View Post
    Trump is doing now in NK what should have been done in the Middle East in the 80's and 90's and that is getting people to talk. Maybe words with Iraq, Iran and Libya back then would have saved countless lives.
    He should do the same with Syria as he promised to during his campaign.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #126
    Banjo Baker Banjo Baker is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    454

    Poor Trump.

    He really can't win with some people can he?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #127
    owedtojoy owedtojoy is offline
    owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    43,102

    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Rommel View Post
    Trump is doing now in NK what should have been done in the Middle East in the 80's and 90's and that is getting people to talk. Maybe words with Iraq, Iran and Libya back then would have saved countless lives.
    Very poor historical memory, and a crap analogy.

    There were the Oslo Talks, the Madrid Talks, and Taib talks, the Camp David talks, plus talks about talks which continued right through to 2016.

    If talk could settle the Middle East, it would have happened long ago. Maybe poor f*cking Jared could have done it!

    American negotiators and South Korean Presidents have talked to various members of the Kim family also, in the 1990s and 2000s, to no avail. Commitments to de-nuclearisation has been made before also.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #128
    Trainwreck Trainwreck is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26,054

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Very poor historical memory, and a crap analogy.

    There were the Oslo Talks, the Madrid Talks, and Taib talks, the Camp David talks, plus talks about talks which continued right through to 2016.

    If talk could settle the Middle East, it would have happened long ago. Maybe poor f*cking Jared could have done it!

    American negotiators and South Korean Presidents have talked to various members of the Kim family also, in the 1990s and 2000s, to no avail. Commitments to de-nuclearisation has been made before also.
    The US has never placed the Palestinians under duress, as Trump did with Kim. Instead they've pandered to them, over and over.

    Perhaps they will be next. Perhaps the hard ball will come out for the Palestinians, letting them know they stop f˙cking around, drop the terror and the violence, provide hard evidence of good will and then they will get the red carpet. A NK style, UN embargo, like the one Trump organised, imposed on Gaza for example.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #129
    Vega1447 Vega1447 is offline
    Vega1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,008

    Quote Originally Posted by valamhic View Post
    That is not what the agreement or the NK News report says. Trump did not have to give billions of dollars in cash like Obozo did to Iran.
    Some Iranian money was returned - Obama didn't *give* money to Iran. Val, a mhic.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #130
    Kevin Parlon Kevin Parlon is offline
    Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,318
    Twitter
    @

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Never great with the irony, were you?

    I have just heard your President effusively praising said tyrant from a banana republic as "very talented", and defending the phrase by saying how "tough" he was. Apparently, Trump finds a tyrant from a banana republic more congenial than the Prime Minister of the neighbouring democracy.
    Owed, you're a smart person and it ought to be obvious to you what's going on here. Trump is telling the fat Marshall what he wants to hear. He's doing it to get what *he* wants. As unedifying as it all has been you simply must give credit for what has been achieved. It's too early to say whether it'll work or not but given the record till now, it can hardly do worse.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment