Register to Comment
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

The Halawi case, who are we in bed with now?

Leo Varadkar speaks for 25 minutes with Egyptian president regarding Ibrahim Halawa

On yesterday's RTE radio I heard Foreign Minister Coveney say that in total, 20,000 consular hours were devoted over the years since his arrest to the Halawi case. Besides this there were phone-calls, one lasting 25 Minutes from an Taoiseach Varadkar, numerous visits to Egypt by various big-wigs....
    which is all fine and dandy. The case even received attention at EU diplomatic level.

But I'd like to draw your attention to the Cork man …anna ” CochlŠin, who alleges that he has been arrested on trumped up charges in the Philippines.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...tion-1.2848764

The difference in attention-time that the young Halawi recieved is striking.
    I'm a bit curious as to how things managed to get so askew, hence the somewhat provocative caption.

But then after all, When you think about it:
    a)Trump has gone all America-first.
    b)The Europeans are miffed with us staying schtumm on all that tax-money -- €13 Bn to Apple alone.
    We're miffed with the Europeans for having to pay those bondholders.
    c) The Brits want to float their own boat... no more free-trade agreement and maybe a poisonous divorce, perhaps low-level.

Could someone set me straight on this. Just who are we in bed with now? No matter how much I strain my feeble brain, I can't for the life of me understand why the Muslim Bro'hood are one of our priorities.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Shpake View Post
    Leo Varadkar speaks for 25 minutes with Egyptian president regarding Ibrahim Halawa

On yesterday's RTE radio I heard Foreign Minister Coveney say that in total, 20,000 consular hours were devoted over the years since his arrest to the Halawi case. Besides this there were phone-calls, one lasting 25 Minutes from an Taoiseach Varadkar, numerous visits to Egypt by various big-wigs....
    which is all fine and dandy. The case even received attention at EU diplomatic level.

But I'd like to draw your attention to the Cork man …anna ” CochlŠin, who alleges that he has been arrested on trumped up charges in the Philippines.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...tion-1.2848764

The difference in attention-time that the young Halawi recieved is striking.
    I'm a bit curious as to how things managed to get so askew, hence the somewhat provocative caption.

But then after all, When you think about it:
    a)Trump has gone all America-first.
    b)The Europeans are miffed with us staying schtumm on all that tax-money -- €13 Bn to Apple alone.
    We're miffed with the Europeans for having to pay those bondholders.
    c) The Brits want to float their own boat... no more free-trade agreement and maybe a poisonous divorce, perhaps low-level.

Could someone set me straight on this. Just who are we in bed with now? No matter how much I strain my feeble brain, I can't for the life of me understand why the Muslim Bro'hood are one of our priorities.
    Irish citizen arrested without fair trial. Of course that was an important issue.

I would think the government is doing it's best to impress our eu masters with this case.

Any idea the numbers of Muslim brotherhood members in Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by edwin View Post
    Irish citizen arrested without fair trial. Of course that was an important issue.
    But Edwin, …anna ” CochlŠin is also an Irish citizen who as been arrested and who alleges that he didn't get a fair trial.
    He is also born and bred in Ireland. Don't you notice the difference in the reaction or non-reaction of the Irish government?

Notice that I am plugging more for the mind-set of the government. How is it that in one case a distressed citizen gets so much air-time on RTE both radio and television. That so many hectares of newspaper space is devoted to him.
    Does this mean we have some "special relationship" or something with the Muslim Brotherhood?

Quote Originally Posted by edwin View Post
    What about Irishman executed without trial?

Media and campaigners did disservice to Michael Dwyer | Irish Examiner

But Edwin, …anna ” CochlŠin is also an Irish citizen who as been arrested and who alleges that he didn't get a fair trial.
    He is also born and bred in Ireland. Don't you notice the difference in the reaction or non-reaction of the Irish government?

Notice that I am plugging more for the mind-set of the government. How is it that in one case a distressed citizen gets so much air-time on RTE both radio and television. That so many hectares of newspaper space is devoted to him.
    Does this mean we have some "special relationship" or something with the Muslim Brotherhood?
    I think it means that the halawa case became a darling of the media.

The government therefore had to be seen to do something.

No?

Napoleon, Metternich or some politician of the 19th Century once said that nations have no friends, they only have interests. O.K., I'll go along with that. One could be cynical but I'm sure all the other govts are the same.. up to the same lark
    But is it not a reasonable question for SeŠn Citizen to ask... particularly if it's clear that so much resources and attention time have gone in one direction (and not in another)
    Who are we in bed with now?

Quote Originally Posted by Calculusmadeeasy View Post
    I think it means that the halawa case became a darling of the media.

The government therefore had to be seen to do something.

No?
    One could also maintain that the govt told the media to highlight the Halawi case.

It certainly is striking that the poor Corkman... married with kids out there is on his own.

One could also maintain that the govt told the media to highlight the Halawi case.

It certainly is striking that the poor Corkman... married with kids out there is on his own.
    Very true!

Food for thought.

Compare the cases of Ched Evans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ched_Evans (subsequently acquitted at retrial) and Adam Johnson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Johnson_(footballer)

With the case of Ismahil Akinade.

You'll probably have to google the latter yourselves, as any link I provide wont last an hour!

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment