Register to Comment
Page 2235 of 2301 FirstFirst ... 123517352135218522252233223422352236223722452285 ... LastLast
Results 22,341 to 22,350 of 23010
Like Tree12654Likes
  1. #22341
    Mick Mac Mick Mac is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    8,014

    Quote Originally Posted by bormotello View Post
    Remaining missiles went to abandoned sheds in a dessert near Homs with 50% success rate.
    Fix news already said that Assad is planning another attack as soon as USS Truman will arrive
    So fox said Assad will drop another barrel bomb as soon as the Truman arrives.

    Cause that was one of the barriers to bigger attack. Lack of ships.

    When the carrier group arrives that is gone.

    I suppose Assad will never learn. I wonder will he really on Iranian support as well to deliver the next attack.

    Why then Iran should get some lead as well.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22342
    HenryHorace HenryHorace is offline
    HenryHorace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,263

    Still no proof Assad and not the Jihadi white helmets organised the chemical attack then?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #22343
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is online now
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45,514

    OPCW say they are being blocked from entering the site.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43783427
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #22344
    Nebuchadnezzar Nebuchadnezzar is offline
    Nebuchadnezzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,177

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    UK inspectors from OPCW say they are being blocked from entering the site.
    Clean up hasn’t finished yet.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #22345
    The Eagle of the Ninth The Eagle of the Ninth is offline
    The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    72,065

    A Russian veto at the UN last November means the OPCW is empowered only to state if chemical weapons have been used, and not to attribute responsibility.

    So even if they do report chemical weapons have been used, they cant say "And we believe it was X."

    So Russian can go on arguing it was little green men, if they want to.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #22346
    Mr. Blobby Mr. Blobby is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    821

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    A Russian veto at the UN last November means the OPCW is empowered only to state if chemical weapons have been used, and not to attribute responsibility.

    So even if they do report chemical weapons have been used, they cant say "And we believe it was X."

    So Russian can go on arguing it was little green men, if they want to.
    Do you really believe Assad would have used a chemical weapon while the battle for the area had already been won and the "rebels" already surrendered?

    Do you not think that after the Khan Sheikhoun incident in April 17, he would have known the consequences of something silly like this?

    I'm not a fan of Assad and he is no idiot but an action like this defies all logic. I wonder will there be an another episode like this when the SAA take Yarmouk or the N. Homs pocket.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #22347
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is online now
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45,514

    If you're blocking access to the site that's sort-of an admission of guilt.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #22348
    former wesleyan former wesleyan is offline
    former wesleyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    27,375

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blobby View Post
    Do you really believe Assad would have used a chemical weapon while the battle for the area had already been won and the "rebels" already surrendered?

    Do you not think that after the Khan Sheikhoun incident in April 17, he would have known the consequences of something silly like this?

    I'm not a fan of Assad and he is no idiot but an action like this defies all logic. I wonder will there be an another episode like this when the SAA take Yarmouk or the N. Homs pocket.
    Why not ? His aim is the intimidation of his people to the point where there'll be no anti-Assad family politics. And the " consequences " , so-called , involved being given a weeks warning to evacuate his people and backers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #22349
    The Eagle of the Ninth The Eagle of the Ninth is offline
    The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    72,065

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blobby View Post
    Do you really believe Assad would have used a chemical weapon while the battle for the area had already been won and the "rebels" already surrendered?

    Do you not think that after the Khan Sheikhoun incident in April 17, he would have known the consequences of something silly like this?

    I'm not a fan of Assad and he is no idiot but an action like this defies all logic. I wonder will there be an another episode like this when the SAA take Yarmouk or the N. Homs pocket.

    Absolutely. The last time he did, he got a slap on the wrist. He knows Russia will protect him - they have already used their veto to ensure that OPCW can investigate the use of chem weapons but cannot attribute them. So he has plausible deniability.

    I think you fail to understand the ME despots mentality. They will level cities, carry out genocides and ethnic cleansing, to send a strong message to the populace that if you ever put your head over the parapet again, you know what to expect. Its no different from c17 war lords like Cromwell - to hell or Connaught.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #22350
    Mr. Blobby Mr. Blobby is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    821

    Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Why not ? His aim is the intimidation of his people to the point where there'll be no anti-Assad family politics. And the " consequences " , so-called , involved being given a weeks warning to evacuate his people and backers.
    The fact that civilians in the other areas of eastern Ghouta are happy now that the government has taken control would suggest otherwise. Also the pro-Assad rallies that have taken place in Damascus after the US/UK/FR attack seems to have galvanised the people to supporting Assad.

    One would have thought that a chemical attack by Assad on his own people would have led to more unrest in Assad controlled parts of Syria. The opposite seems to have been the case. The people would have obviously heard of the accusations and reasoning behind a US led bombing raid so close to the capital.

    Which is why the argument that Assad is a savage, lunatic butcher being spouted by so many on this thread just doesn't add up.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment