Register to Comment
Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree239Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Bebel View Post
    Russians have a positive view of the USSR. Afterall the russian communist party is the second largest party in todays russia.
    That's more so down to a lack of any other reasonable opposition party than nostalgia for the Union, they get their support from the old who know no different and the young who are too young to remember the Union but are piss*d that they aren't a global superpower anymore.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    I was amazed when I first saw this BBC documentary. Worth watching the first 10 minutes

Putin was intended as a puppet of the oligarchs but he seems to have broken loose. The west has never forgiven him for that

Putin was a Secret-Policeman, any country he runs will be authoritarian, repressive and suspicious of anything that the regime cannot control.

Putin appears to enjoy widespread support from the majority of Russian people.

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Putin was a Secret-Policeman, any country he runs will be authoritarian, repressive and suspicious of anything that the regime cannot control.
    And I know you didn't watch one second of the video

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    Doubtful, but they may be quiescent for as long as the economy holds good i.e. oil and gas prices stay high.

Several prominent Russian opposition leaders were arrested by riot police on Monday night as they tried to protest against a presidential election result that international monitors said was "clearly skewed" in Vladimir Putin's favour.

Russian riot police break up protest against Vladimir Putin's election win - Telegraph

Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    And I know you didn't watch one second of the video
    No time at the moment.

Do you mean it shows Putin is a pillar of democracy?

Russia from 2000 to 2010

Compared to the situation in 2000, the progress made by Russia until 2010 is remarkable: the social product has doubled, foreign trade has quadrupled, debts abroad are reduced to one-sixth of their initial value, wages have increased 2.5 times after inflation, annuities tripled, the poverty rate has fallen by more than half, unemployment has gone from 10% to 7%, the number of births increased by 40 %, deaths have decreased by 10%, infant deaths fell by 30%, life expentancy increased by 5 years, the crime rate has decreased by 10%, murders fell by 50% and suicides by 40%, alcohol poisoning fell by more than 60%.
    Why Not Stop Attacking Russia?

I met an ethnic Russian in Baku one time who loved Putin. When I asked her if she thought he was a dictator, she told me that Russia is not like Europe, it needs a strong leader or else there will be anarchy.

I suppose democracy is not for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    'Appears' is an interesting word. In a country where journalists who speak out against him get murdered appearance's can be deceptive.

Russia has no functioning free press. What we know is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Doubtful, but they may be quiescent for as long as the economy holds good i.e. oil and gas prices stay high.

Several prominent Russian opposition leaders were arrested by riot police on Monday night as they tried to protest against a presidential election result that international monitors said was "clearly skewed" in Vladimir Putin's favour.

Russian riot police break up protest against Vladimir Putin's election win - Telegraph
    You doubt that Putin enjoys widespread support?
    Why do you doubt this?

Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment