Register to Comment
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

As I understand it the process of canonisation was set in place in the 13th century and the process remained more or less
    the same until the end of the 20th century.
    The process establishing sainthood was time consuming because of the rigourous criteria applied to ascertaining a candidate’s saintly qualities.

It appears that more souls have been beatified and canonised since the late 20th century procedural change than were beatified/canonised in the preceding 19 centuries.

I don’t know why the process of beatification/canonisation was changed in order to “speed up” the process by order of Pope John Paul II

One other thing canonisation is only the formal acknowledgement by the church of pre-existing sainthood.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Will Shake Spear View Post
    More anti Pope Francis bull. He's Pope, and a good one. The parody accounts will have to get used to it.
    [Just for this thread alone I will remove my ban on you.
    I expect you to discuss the issue so please refrain from abuse.]

Re your statement above how is it parody to question the actions of a pope who has relaxed importent rules for one of his predecessors wrt to the canonization process.?

How can it be good when
    IMV it demeans the authority of the papacy and leaves the entire process open to criticism and even ridicule?.

It was speeded up for purely PR and political reasons. What Fieldy is trying hard to ignore is that the Vatican is as much a political institution as a religious one. In the modern tv age we need new heroes more frequently. We all have to play to our chosen audience.

Isn't it because the Church used to believe heaven was hard to get into and now it believes it's almost impossible to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    [Just for this thread alone I will remove my ban on you.
    I expect you to discuss the issue so please refrain from abuse.]

Re your statement above how is it parody to question the actions of a pope who has relaxed importent rules for one of his predecessors wrt to the canonization process.?

How can it be good when
    IMV it demeans the authority of the papacy and leaves the entire process open to criticism and even ridicule?.
    I'd rather trolls like you kept me on ignore as they claimed they would.

I won't be feeding you.

Francis is Pope, and a good one, you'll have to get over that.

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    As I understand it the process of canonisation was set in place in the 13th century and the process remained more or less
    the same until the end of the 20th century.
    The process establishing sainthood was time consuming because of the rigourous criteria applied to ascertaining a candidate’s saintly qualities.

It appears that more souls have been beatified and canonised since the late 20th century procedural change than were beatified/canonised in the preceding 19 centuries.

I don’t know why the process of beatification/canonisation was changed in order to “speed up” the process by order of Pope John Paul II

One other thing canonisation is only the formal acknowledgement by the church of pre-existing sainthood.
    AFAIK a canonization is a declaration by the church that the person is in heaven and deemed worthy of veneration for intercessory purposes.

Its also a rather rare and difficult status to achieve with many strict requirements.

IMV Relaxing these requirements for your pals and people you philosophically admire makes the process subjective and therefore less credible.

AFAIK a canonization is a declaration by the church that the person is in heaven and deemed worthy of veneration for intercessory purposes.

Its also a rather rare and difficult status to achieve with many strict requirements.

IMV Relaxing these requirements for your pals and people you philosophically admire makes the process subjective and therefore less credible.
    So you're now a better judge than the entire vatican and the Pope, of who is in heaven. Right oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Shake Spear View Post
    I'd rather trolls like you kept me on ignore as they claimed they would.

I won't be feeding you.

Francis is Pope, and a good one, you'll have to get over that.
    You are just repeating what you claimed above.

I already know Francis is a Pope of sorts.
    Whether he is a good pope remains to be seen.

Anyway again its also clear you refuse to discuss the matter without rancour , abuse and the repetition of meaningless one liner remarks about the popes personal character.

Anti Pope Field Marshal has spoken

Agreed.

If souls are going to be canonised subject to a less rigourous criteria, there has to be implications regarding souls canonised using a more rigourous criteria.

Does this imply that there are two different categories of saintliness?

This image is funny

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment