Register to Comment
Page 46 of 76 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 56 ... LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    I support democratic forces in Syria, but nuance (and common sense) seems lost on you. I'll try to keep my responses shorter from now on so as not to stretch your attention span to the breaking point.

But instead of repeating the same talking point without actually backing it up in any way, shape, or form why don't you address the points? Why don't you explain why France's intervention, by all accounts, was improvised and an action of last resort. Why don't you explain why the plan was for the Africans to do it, instead of France until it became obvious that Mali was going to fall? Etc.

You note that it's already becoming worse for the civilians. Worse than being under the Islamists?
    Do you really think that the Saudi and Qatari backed, so called Syrian opposition are really all democrats. In areas under FSA control, Christians have been ethnically cleansed and Sharia law introduced.

Some democracy that.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    Do you really think that the Saudi and Qatari backed, so called Syrian opposition are really all democrats. In areas under FSA control, Christians have been ethnically cleansed and Sharia law introduced.

Some democracy that.
    I didn't say they (meaning every faction in the opposition) were all democrats now did I? Still not willing to address the points about Mali I see.
    Last edited by Justinian; 22nd January 2013 at 01:46 PM.

Yeah great stuff indeed with the Malian Army murdering and torturing at will.

Yeehhaaaawww. One can hear the laptop warriors spunking all over themselves.
    So are in favor of Al-Qaeda and other Islamists conquering West Africa? Do you not think they should be stopped?

The people of Timbuktoo will soon find out that their so called liberators will become an occupying force.
    As I said before -"occupying Mali with 5 000 troops?" And whats in Timbuktoo that sooooo valuable..shouldn't they be "occupying" the oil fields

The intervention by France has made the situation alot worse now with Islamists especially Al Queda threatening to destablise the region and target France itself. Le Sauce has gone headstrong into something that could blow up spectacularly in his face.
    Al-Qaeda? That doesn't even exist?

That didnt stop the NATO powers taking liberty with Libya to bomb and topple the Gaddaffi regime and hand that country over to warlords which has plunged Libya and the Sahel into a state of near anarchy and is now a breeding ground for Islamists and al Queda. ?
    Anarchy? Another view
    Libya Today: Glass Half Full? | Reinventing Peace

I find it odd that after that long winded response in which you once again trying to justify Western neo-colonialism,
    "Long-winded"=painstaking and comprehensive.
    Last edited by IvoShandor; 22nd January 2013 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    This video may interest you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnKPimzibnY
    TheRealNews

Quote Originally Posted by IvoShandor View Post
    As I said before -"occupying Mali with 5 000 troops?" And whats in Timbuktoo that sooooo valuable..shouldn't they be "occupying" the oil fields
    Mali is the new frontier for oil exploration in the Sahara. Not surprising western troops want to get there before the Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    Mali is the new frontier for oil exploration in the Sahara. Not surprising western troops want to get there before the Chinese
    You see by pointing out those simple facts like I have done, the likes of Ivo and Justinian simply ignore it.

You see by pointing out those simple facts like I have done, the likes of Ivo and Justinian simply ignore it.
    Let me quote from an article I posted earlier in the thread:

Where oil and gas are concerned, talk of Mali’s “oil wealth” is premature: while Mali has potential reserves, it has zero proven reserves, and despite its government allocating 700,000 square kilometers for drilling since 2005, no wells have been drilled yet (see Jeune Afrique). No major multinational energy companies have even bought drilling rights in Mali: the only companies who have are Italy’s ENI, Algeria’s SONATRACH, Canada’s Selier Energy, and a few other minor players with high risk tolerance. Even before the present conflict began a year ago, the Malian Sahara’s remoteness and chronic insecurity made it a no-go zone for most investors. Military intervention will not change that for the better.
    Behind Mali’s conflict: myths, realities & unknowns | Bridges from Bamako

Still not willing to address any points made, I see.

Edit:

According to Algerian officials the attack on In Amenas was being planned for two months. Which would put the start of the planning somewhere in November. Obviously France had not yet intervened at that time, nor had the Security Council authorized an intervention. This would indicate that France's intervention was used as an excuse, but that in reality France's intervention only influenced the timing of the attack and was not the reason for it.

It should be noted that, in the words of Geoff Porter:

Algiers also cautioned that any military approach to the instability in northern Mali was likely to only escalate the conflict and raise the likelihood of Islamist terrorist attacks in Algeria.
    This would be a tacit admission by Algerian officials that this attack would have come even without the French intervening in Mali. While it may have raised the likelihood of these attacks, the Algerian officials seem to tacitly concede that this one (at least) was already going to come.

The attackers moved in from Northern Mali, again indicating why the area must be brought back under government control.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...tages?page=0,0
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...958509588.html
    Last edited by Justinian; 23rd January 2013 at 09:37 AM.

The French campaign is going well with support for the Mali people and Northern Mali should be secured in another month or so.

If I were the French commander I would launch simultaneously ground attacks in the direction of Timbuktu and Gao and force the Islamists to retreat across their entire front and then take Kidal in a pincer movement.
    The rest of the enemy could be mopped up.
    Last edited by Hitch 22; 23rd January 2013 at 11:13 AM.

Some democracy that.
    But Ansar Dine would no doubt hold elections in Mali and allow all religions to worship in a free manner?

Page 46 of 76 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 56 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment