Register to Comment
Page 37 of 76 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 47 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 759
Like Tree226Likes
  1. #361
    Thac0man Thac0man is offline
    Thac0man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,706
    Twitter
    @

    Have just found this, France is increasing its forces in Mali to 1400. That I assume is up from the stated 500 they origionally sent.

    Source:
    French troops in Mali increased to 1,400 | euronews, world news

    The report also says that Islamists have been spotted in a town 140km from Bamako. Any pretext that there action is intended to establish a Tuareg nation in northern Mali, has been disproven.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #362
    Clanrickard Clanrickard is offline
    Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    27,897

    Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man View Post
    Have just found this, France is increasing its forces in Mali to 1400. That I assume is up from the stated 500 they origionally sent.

    Source:
    French troops in Mali increased to 1,400 | euronews, world news

    The report also says that Islamists have been spotted in a town 140km from Bamako. Any pretext that there action is intended to establish a Tuareg nation in northern Mali, has been disproven.
    It is a digrace that no other nation is chipping in to help them.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #363
    Hitch 22 Hitch 22 is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,420

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    It is a digrace that no other nation is chipping in to help them.
    British and Canadians are assisting.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #364
    Clanrickard Clanrickard is offline
    Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    27,897

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    British and Canadians are assisting.
    Good. The more the merrier. It will make it harder for the Islamofacists to target a specific country.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #365
    Justinian Justinian is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,534

    While a blog, this is well worth reading:

    Behind Mali’s conflict: myths, realities & unknowns | Bridges from Bamako

    The notion that what’s today playing out in Mali is the product of a “great game” between major powers ignores the realities on the ground there.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #366
    Cynicist Cynicist is offline
    Cynicist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,779

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    It is a digrace that no other nation is chipping in to help them.
    Just reported that other EU countries are to provide troops.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #367
    Partizan Partizan is offline
    Partizan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,537

    Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man View Post
    France responding to a request made by the Malian government for military aid cannot be classified as an "invasion". The fact most Malians welcome French aid and intervention also makes any description of the French action as an "invasion", misleading to the point that it is highly dishonest.
    Mali is still a military dictatorship if that fact hasnt escaped you. Even though there is a caretaker government in charge, the military still call the shots with acting Prime Minister Cheikh Diarra arrested on the orders of Col Sanogo last December. The government in Bamako has no democratic mandate from the electorate. I find it bizarre that right wingers like you are the first to point the finger at Hugo Chavez at his perceived lack of democracy yet pass a blind eye to right wing, Western backed military dictatorships like Mali. Call it what you alike but the exact same circumstances existed in Afghanistan in 1979 and when the Soviets entered the country at the request of the Afghan military government, it was called an invasion by the Western media and governments, only this time the French have used a UN mandate to get cover for their latest colonial escapade in Africa.

    But given the complexity of what is happening, its no surprise that antiwar.com and its fans are burying their heads in the sand again, trying to bracket the crises in terms that suit their own narrow world view. The fate of Malians who have been subjected to medieval Taliban style barbarity while under the Islamists thumb, seems to be of no concern at all to them. Yet switch the theatre to Syria, and they can talk of little else. Reading the linked too article, I am frankly stunned by the level of churlish ignorance on display. Its broad stroke approach to the situation, and even how it describes the rebels, would be baffling if it did not so obviously serve the purpose of making visibly worn out hackery appear relevant. As an effort to stretch the usual 'one size fits all' philospohy over the current situation in Mali, it is stretched so thin its delusion is painfully transparent.

    In reality France is just taking the battle to the the forces that have been attacking it, its citizens and its interests, in an effort to promote a thiests dictatorship. France should be proud to oppose such a malign movement both at home and abroad, especially if it saves the rich culture and heritage of Malians and Timboktu. That said they have taken on a problem that has been allowed to flourish in the Sahara region, and will now not easily be defeated. However I do not expect France to fight with one hand tied behind its back. From the off they have not embeded reporters with their military units, or tried to excuse necessary action to those who will refelxively oppose everything that happens to involve the west.

    Reading between the lines of recent French government statements, its seems the French realise that they have gone into Mali a little unprepared. Despite an imminent influx of troops from neighbouring countries, I suspect they will need more French troops and equipment on the ground. Regional forces just will not be able to cut it, and French forces, for all their know how and professionalism, are not the US military with its astonishing support network and firepower. French military capability may be severly tested. The question is how many more countries will the conflict spill over into, given the Islamists have already used Mauritania as a point of entry into Mali to launch counter attacks?
    Antiwar.com have a good track record of smelling bullcrap a mile off. Anyone who thinks this is about good old France helping democracy and freedom in its sphere of influence fighting Islamist rebels really are naive. You seem to have once again swallowed the dirge hook, line and sinker. The jihadis in Mali, bd as they are not the main problem. There is a whole raft of issues on hand here and the jihadis fit the bill nicely. Of course France backing Islamists in Syria while fighting them in Mali is completely lost on you. As you have already pointed out, Le Sauce has gambled on a quick victory to boost his image and flagging popularity and has ramped up French troop presence in Mali to 1500. It seems that France could be in for a long haul and could find itself bogged down.

    How do you spell Q.U.A.G.M.I.R.E?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #368
    Partizan Partizan is offline
    Partizan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,537

    Quote Originally Posted by Cynicist View Post
    Just reported that other EU countries are to provide troops.
    Great, Irish troops will be off to fight for gallant little Mali. John Redmond would be so proud.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #369
    davidcameron davidcameron is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,707

    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    Mali is still a military dictatorship if that fact hasnt escaped you. Even though there is a caretaker government in charge, the military still call the shots with acting Prime Minister Cheikh Diarra arrested on the orders of Col Sanogo last December. The government in Bamako has no democratic mandate from the electorate. I find it bizarre that right wingers like you are the first to point the finger at Hugo Chavez at his perceived lack of democracy yet pass a blind eye to right wing, Western backed military dictatorships like Mali. Call it what you alike but the exact same circumstances existed in Afghanistan in 1979 and when the Soviets entered the country at the request of the Afghan military government, it was called an invasion by the Western media and governments, only this time the French have used a UN mandate to get cover for their latest colonial escapade in Africa.



    Antiwar.com have a good track record of smelling bullcrap a mile off. Anyone who thinks this is about good old France helping democracy and freedom in its sphere of influence fighting Islamist rebels really are naive. You seem to have once again swallowed the dirge hook, line and sinker. The jihadis in Mali, bd as they are not the main problem. There is a whole raft of issues on hand here and the jihadis fit the bill nicely. Of course France backing Islamists in Syria while fighting them in Mali is completely lost on you. As you have already pointed out, Le Sauce has gambled on a quick victory to boost his image and flagging popularity and has ramped up French troop presence in Mali to 1500. It seems that France could be in for a long haul and could find itself bogged down.

    How do you spell Q.U.A.G.M.I.R.E?
    Of course I oppose dictatorship. But would you prefer that the Al-Qaeda-inspired rebels conquered Mali? If that happened then the predicament of the Malian people would be many times worse.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #370
    Partizan Partizan is offline
    Partizan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,537

    Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    Of course I oppose dictatorship. But would you prefer that the Al-Qaeda-inspired rebels conquered Mali? If that happened then the predicament of the Malian people would be many times worse.
    Would you have said the same for Afghanistan circa December 1979?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 37 of 76 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 47 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment