Register to Comment
Page 1 of 792 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Like Tree3323Likes

Boycotting Israel: a moral question.

For as long as I can remember I have boycotted Israeli goods as a result of their government's flagrant abuse of Palestinian human rights, and their consistent breach of UN Resolutions. Recently I was buying goods on Ebay and as usual, I duly checked out the goods' country of origin. I am normally very careful about this, as a lot of what I buy is supplied from the Middle East. Anyway, the Ebay entry stated "California, USA." "Grand", says I, and made payment, except when the goods arrived they were marked "Product of Israel." Now, I was rightly cheesed off with this deception, but seeing as how I had now broken my taboo, it got me thinking in a way I hadn't before.

By boycotting Israeli goods, was I simply punishing ordinary people who, like myself, are just trying to turn a few honest bob? Isn't boycotting Israeli goods really pointless unless it goes hand-in-hand with a similar boycott of USA goods, seeing as they underpin the regime? As an Irish Republican, should I also not be boycotting British goods because of their human rights abuses here and elsewhere? I mean, why just Israel?

All in all, is boycotting Israeli goods just a pointless, feel-good, "right-on", Ranelagh coffee morning-type activity for Westerners who just want to feel better about themselves?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Well, I've been doing likewise. I do it because Israel stands out as a perennial breaker of basic human rights in the territories it occupies. The ongoing siege of Gaza, the daily harassment of Palestinian farmers and workers, the expansionist building on stolen land, the theft by diversion of water from Palestinian farms, internment without trial, savage bombing by cluster and white phosphorous bombs in urban areas . . .

And so on, ad nauseam.

It has aspirations towards being viewed as an open, free and democratic western state. It's certainly a democracy and most of its neighbours are rotten with corruption, but it has a long, long way to travel.

I also wish to boycott Israel insofar as practicable. Global Zionism has a stranglehold in some areas but there are things we can do to boycott the Israeli Apartheid Regime.

- Refuse contracts to Israeli companies. The largest co-op in Israel recently collapsed largely because of boycotts.
    - Refuse contracts to non-Israeli companies such as Veolia that are operating in the settlements. Veolia runs light rail in East Jerusalem and the WB.
    - The EU should impose economic sanctions and an arms embargo on Israel. If the most pro-Zionist countries leave such as the UK, this becomes easier.
    - A ban or boycott by the Irish team of matches in Israel. UEFA are dominated by the Israel lobby and would probably punish us. But if enough countries join in they will have to listen.
    - Boycott academic exchanges including student exchange programmes with universities located in the settlements, such as Ariel University. The govt must refuse student visas from the settlements.
    - The EU should label goods from the settlements or ban them altogether.
    - Participation in Israeli Apartheid Week lectures and rallies at Irish universities. In 2010, locations include Jerusalem, Amsterdam, Bard (NY), Beirut, Berkeley, Bethlehem, Bil'in, Bogota, Bologna, Boston, Cape Town, Caracas, Chicago, Connecticut, Duluth, Dundee, Durban, Eastern Cape, Edinburgh, Edmonton, Gaza, Glasgow, Guelph, Hamilton, Houston, Ireland, Jenin, Johannesburg, Kingston, London (ON), London (UK), Madrid, Melbourne, Minneapolis/St.Paul, Montréal, Nablus, New York City, Nil'in, Ottawa, Oxford, Peterborough, Pisa, Pretoria, Providence, Puebla, Roma, San Francisco, Seattle, Sudbury, Tilburg, Toronto, Truro (CA), Utrecht, Vancouver, Waterloo and Winnipeg.

The campaign should be modelled on that against the SA Apartheid regime. We need people standing outside Dunnes, Tesco etc. protesting against the sale of Israeli goods like Jaffa Oranges.

Everyone knows nothing hurts a Zionist more than getting hit in the pocket.

Boycotts -- an artifact of Irish history.
    Last edited by Troy_337; 20th December 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    I also wish to boycott Israel insofar as practicable. Global Zionism has a stranglehold in some areas but there are things we can do to boycott the Israeli Apartheid Regime.

- Refuse contracts to Israeli companies. The largest co-op in Israel recently collapsed largely because of boycotts.
    - Refuse contracts to non-Israeli companies such as Veolia that are operating in the settlements. Veolia runs light rail in East Jerusalem and the WB.
    - The EU should impose economic sanctions and an arms embargo on Israel. If the most pro-Zionist countries leave such as the UK, this becomes easier.
    - A ban or boycott by the Irish team of matches in Israel. UEFA are dominated by the Israel lobby and would probably punish us. But if enough countries join in they will have to listen.
    - Boycott academic exchanges including student exchange programmes with universities located in the settlements, such as Ariel University. The govt must refuse student visas from the settlements.
    - Participation in Israeli Apartheid Week lectures and rallies at Irish universities. In 2010, locations include Jerusalem, Amsterdam, Bard (NY), Beirut, Berkeley, Bethlehem, Bil'in, Bogota, Bologna, Boston, Cape Town, Caracas, Chicago, Connecticut, Duluth, Dundee, Durban, Eastern Cape, Edinburgh, Edmonton, Gaza, Glasgow, Guelph, Hamilton, Houston, Ireland, Jenin, Johannesburg, Kingston, London (ON), London (UK), Madrid, Melbourne, Minneapolis/St.Paul, Montréal, Nablus, New York City, Nil'in, Ottawa, Oxford, Peterborough, Pisa, Pretoria, Providence, Puebla, Roma, San Francisco, Seattle, Sudbury, Tilburg, Toronto, Truro (CA), Utrecht, Vancouver, Waterloo and Winnipeg.

The campaign should be modelled on that against the SA Apartheid regime. We need people standing outside Dunnes, Tesco etc. protesting against the sale of Israeli goods like Jaffa Oranges.

You mean a Jew, don't you?

So you do think there should be a collective punishment after all!

Now you're talking.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    No I mean a Zionist. If you are a multinational and are profiting from the Occupation, then you are supporting the Zionist Apartheid statelet.

Meanwhile in the US, repression of pro-Palestinian activists like Students for Justice in Palestine continues, including condemnations from the University of California, police-intimidation and prosecutions for interrupting Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren's speech there. It has to be asked: who is pulling the strings behind the scenes to create this repression.

That's interesting. Do you have any more details?
    Interesting that there are no German cities on your list. Germany is Israel's biggest supporter in Europe, but their Nazi past stops them from criticising Israel's Nazi present. Such a shame.
    True, but it was actually workers in Dunne's who refused to handle Israeli produce.
    BTW, if you shop in Lidl or Aldi, be particularly careful, as much of their fruit etc. comes from Israel.
    Ditto with Tesco, avocadoes, herbs, oranges.
    And M&S are big buyers of Israeli produce.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yanshuf View Post
    So you do think there should be a collective punishment after all!

Now you're talking.
    Didn't take long for the Hasbara to arrive, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by Barroso View Post
    That's interesting. Do you have any more details?
    Interesting that there are no German cities on your list. Germany is Israel's biggest supporter in Europe, but their Nazi past stops them from criticising Israel's Nazi present. Such a shame.

True, but it was actually workers in Dunne's who refused to handle Israeli produce.
    BTW, if you shop in Lidl or Aldi, be particularly careful, as much of their fruit etc. comes from Israel.
    Ditto with Tesco, avocadoes, herbs, oranges.
    And M&S are big buyers of Israeli produce.
    M+S has always been a Zionist company to be fair.

To be fair Barroso I don't think Cookie is Hasbara because he has been on here forever and this wasn't the main issue he posted on. Yanshuf on the other hand. However I want to welcome Hasbara/Mossad to the board as it underlines they must be getting worried.

Page 1 of 792 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment