Register to Comment
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Niall996 View Post
    Maybe most of the Nigerians who come to Ireland want to get away from the sort of society that seems prevalent in Nigeria, and work hard, have some sort of life, raise their kids in a relatively safe Western environment, keep their heads down and just get on with it. MOst of the Nigerian taxi drivers I encountered were devout Christians. Perhaps we should be not so quick to lump Nigerians who have gotten out of that world and tried to better themselves than the type in that video.
    Having lived in Nigeria and Ireland for sizable portions of my life can I add my tuppence worth on this.

The Nigerians living in Ireland are generally the more affluent ones (how else would they afford the plane fare for a start?) mostly of one particular ethnic group (there are literally hundreds) and are attracted by opportunities in Ireland, particularly the fact that there is education, healthcare provided free. Unfortunately there is also a belief that because things are free, they are there to be taken advantage of. A system that is relatively fair is also there to be abused for some of them.

The ones in the video...I don't know what type of people they are, I really honestly don't.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicist View Post
    The reasons for misrepresenting the truth are racist and disgusting especially coming from those who lived or are living as guests in someone elses country and making money from it.
    Are you a Nigerian?
    If not you are a fool talking out your arse.

So many expats go around foreign countries with patronising attitudes as displayed above.
    How is it patronizing to say that Nigerians are generally nice to kids...?

If I said that they are awful to kids you would call me a wacist.

The reasons for misrepresenting the truth are racist and disgusting especially coming from those who lived or are living as guests in someone elses country and making money from it.
    I live in Nigeria, not the country of my parents or my birth. Is that somehow wrong that I earn a living from it? What about all the Nigerians who come to Ireland, you don't have issues about them being in someone elses country as you so eloquently put it? Strangely, those who do have issues with this are often called wacist.

Who is mispresenting the truth?

Who is being racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Druidess View Post
    Having lived in Nigeria and Ireland for sizable portions of my life....
    So you say.....prove it.....

The Nigerians living in Ireland are generally the more affluent ones (how else would they afford the plane fare for a start?)
    Including the taxi drivers!
    A direct flight from Lagos to LHR is only a few hundred bucks FFS.
    mostly of one particular ethnic group (there are literally hundreds) and are attracted by opportunities in Ireland, particularly the fact that there is education, healthcare provided free. Unfortunately there is also a belief that because things are free, they are there to be taken advantage of. A system that is relatively fair is also there to be abused for some of them.
    No kiddin!

The ones in the video...I don't know what type of people they are, I really honestly don't.
    So you lived in Nigeria for a 'sizeable portion' of your life and saw nothing.
    I lived there one year and experienced mayhem.
    Were you living in a desert? The jungle?
    Are you a Catholic nun?

Quote Originally Posted by Politics matters View Post
    Or perhaps they should stay in their own countries and so shall we that includes the poster above working in Nigeria.

I would leave that to the Nigerians to decide on whether or not they want foreigners working, or living for whatever reason in their country.

A little known fact - particularly amongst the shrill, overly vocal pc brigade is that Nigeria deports people.

Quote Originally Posted by YongHoi View Post
    So you say.....prove it.....

Including the taxi drivers!
    A direct flight from Lagos to LHR is only a few hundred bucks FFS.

No kiddin!

So you lived in Nigeria for a 'sizeable portion' of your life and saw nothing.
    I lived there one year and experienced mayhem.
    Were you living in a desert? The jungle?
    Are you a Catholic nun?
    I still live there.

I am not a Catholic nun. I am sure that they have probably seen more than you or I.

Not aware of any jungles in Nigeria as such, deserts yes but I wouldn't have an internet connection if I was there.

I have experienced some of what you mentioned, I have also experienced some good things and people in Nigeria.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall996 View Post
    Hae you got a link to back that up?
    Welcome to the 419 Eater: Scam Tracker

So corrupt they gave name to the whole scam routine -419 Scams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam
    Last edited by YongHoi; 10th October 2012 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMac View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    If you have enough time and you are relatively quick at typing is there any chance you could watch the clip again in a new window and type a transcription on here as the event unfolds for some of the Politics.ie members, such as myself, who would rather not look at it.

I know it is a big ask. But I would like to know what happened in the video and at the same time I am really sensitive. I am just not able to look at it.
    Strange I looked at this video and felt no empathy for the victims.Looked at it again and still nothing.

Not my concern Im not to sure If we actually should hear of stories like this.It gives left wing fools more ammunition for the asylum issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Politics matters View Post
    Strange I looked at this video and felt no empathy for the victims.Looked at it again and still nothing.

Not my concern Im not to sure If we actually should hear of stories like this.It gives left wing fools more ammunition for the asylum issue.
    Oh dear!!

Would agree with you on many things but can't go with you on this one!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment