Register to Comment
Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Catalonian independence

Seems like there´s a march organised for today in Barcelona for Catalonian independence.

Barcelona braces for million-strong march for Catalan independence | World news | guardian.co.uk

From the little I know of the situation, I suspect pro-independence is a misleading way of putting it - the Catalans probably want less FREEEEEEEEEDOM and more 'keeping their own earnings and paying less taxes to the central government.´ But that´s just my two cents.

Catalonia is one of the richer, more industrious parts of Spain, I'm usually told, but parts of the article gives me pause:

Most of the regions have been run as virtual fiefdoms by local politicians hand in hand with the savings banks, almost of all of which are now bankrupt.
    Hey, leave Ireland out of it!

Earlier this month, Catalonia asked Madrid for a €5bn (£4bn) bailout, while claiming that it was only asking for what was rightfully its own in the first place.
    Anyway, will be interesting to see if the estimated 1 million do indeed turn up for the march.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Showdown Looms Over Catalan Independence Referendum". </Mod>
    Last edited by stringjack; 1st October 2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Merged thread.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

¡Visca Barça! ¡Visca Catalunya!

Support for Catalan independence is by no means universal in the region.

Many residents of Cataluna are recent migrants from the rest of Spain. They do not speak Catalan and identify with Spain, not Cataluna.

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post

Many residents of Cataluna are recent migrants from the rest of Spain. They do not speak Catalan and identify with Spain, not Cataluna.
    Yeah, the Catalan independence cause seems to be quite analogous to that of Scotland. It probably won't happen - it's something that certain politicians pay lip service to to garner votes from a certain wing of the voting spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post

Indeed and given Catalonia's current economic position, it's not happening anytime soon. BBC News - Catalonia seeks 5bn-euro bailout from Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Indeed and given Catalonia's current economic position, it's not happening anytime soon. BBC News - Catalonia seeks 5bn-euro bailout from Spain
    Catalonia is the Germany of Spain, they are keeping the whole rotten show on the road. The madridlenos have been bleeding catalonia for years, they are only asking for a little bit of their own money back. An independent Catalonia would be debt free within 2 years and it does most of it's trade with France and Europe, so it won't miss it's third world neighbour.

Hard in Ireland to understand the strong regional pride and identity in Spain , not just Catalonia .......and there are very real historical , political , ethnic and economic reasons for its regional differences

My understanding (based on Catalonian viewpoint) is that Catalonia does not benifit from its tax take to the level that it should. In other words it recieves less of its own taxes and mless money form central than other areas in the country.

Say Area A v Catalonia; both same population. Area A gets more of revenue developed in Catalonia and more from central government. How truwe that is I do not know. What i can say is that if they were asking for 5 billion, then that much they do at least deserve.

Leaving aside the merits of the idealogical arguments for catalonian independence this burst of sentiment is in my view the beginnings of the reopening of old wounds in Spain. As austerity lurks around the corner the idea of somebody else taking the pain becomes attractive especially if there is an existing line of demarkation.
    Paul Mason of the BBC has written about this recently where he observed that when Spain and Portugal joined the EEC they were showered in social benefits in return for forgetting who did what to who. Now the tap has been turned off will those old wounds resurface.

Quote Originally Posted by ffc View Post
    Catalonia is the Germany of Spain, they are keeping the whole rotten show on the road. The madridlenos have been bleeding catalonia for years, they are only asking for a little bit of their own money back. An independent Catalonia would be debt free within 2 years and it does most of it's trade with France and Europe, so it won't miss it's third world neighbour.
    Interesting. Do you have any links/figures?

Does Catalonia have a pro-independence party for regional elections? Does it tend to get a majority there?

Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment