Register to Comment
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Quote Originally Posted by yanshuf View Post
    Something good is coming out of this forum. At last you feel some fun. And I thought watering the flowers is the only thing that brings you to such an excitement.

Oh I have lots of fun here watching how many times you spout the same cut and paste nonsense and how you get increasingly agitated when posters don't believe you. Most of the time I just ignore you as it gets boring
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Lain2016 View Post
    Anyway, I'd be in favour of opposing Israeli normalisation on the same basis as the opposition to SA apartheid.

In its day it was difficult to see apartheid being defeated and the SA military seemed so powerfull, but when it went it went quickly and quietly and the world has been a better place for its defeat.

+ 1,000

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post

The IPSC is free to take its view of the world. But this desperate need on the part of some of its activists to target any expression of Israeliness anywhere - no matter how benign - is looking like an obsession-related disorder.
    Pretty much, yes. Although I'd say there are a number of reasons they've latched on the Palestinian cause - some of it is because Irish Nationalism (the really militant kind) has become untrendy, and also because it's a country they can attack without (they think) seeming "racist" (because Israelis are white-ish, sort of). But, yeh, the IPSC are a really nasty bunch of people who can't be reasoned with; they're so desperate to find a cause to alleviate their boredom and elevate their sense of self-worth that the words "obsession-related disorder" seem apt.

Quote Originally Posted by kalipa View Post
    I remember having a discussion on South Africa many years ago on the old EML system. I was told that BDS would never have any effect, by a Boer who couldn't see any end to apartheid which he denied existed. 1 year later Mandela was released and deKlerk started to dismantle the apartheid state.

Never say never !!!
    BDS had no effect. SA was fairly self-sufficient, and only collapsed when (among some other reasons) some American and Swiss banks pulled the credit plug around the mid-80s. You should read R.W.Johnson on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Lain2016 View Post
    Anyway, I'd be in favour of opposing Israeli normalisation on the same basis as the opposition to SA apartheid.

In its day it was difficult to see apartheid being defeated and the SA military seemed so powerfull, but when it went it went quickly and quietly and the world has been a better place for its defeat.
    It was not 'defeated' - the whites voted the system out of existence. It could be argued that it's because the ANC were robbed of military victory - of any kind - that militant Marxism (and it's offspring, farm murders) still survives there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Spedding View Post

Gary,

The flying of the Israeli flag by that pub was a complete non-issue until a senior figure in the IPSC started tweeting about it and urging his followers to complain.

It was only then that folk such as me whose views are a little more nuanced decided to contact the pub and reassure it that the torrent of abuse heading its way was not typical of the public reaction. In tandem with this, the Israeli embassy got wind of the story and commented.

Why do ye have to do this? Why turn a flag or an Israeli film festival or the visit by a traditional music group to Israel into a supposed political statement? It's nothing of the sort and the fact that ye want to turn into something political is a non too subtle form of fascism. If you do this, it means x and x is A BAD THING. So don't do it or else.

Have you been to see any American films in the last couple of years? I can happily spin that into being an expression by you of American atrocities in Afghanistan and Iraq. Do you purchase Chinese products? Well then, there you are! Supporting the Chinese occupation of Tibet! How dare you?!

Please don't cite that comment by some Israeli politician from years back that they use culture to promote the country. That's the threadbarest of threadbare arguments. Every country uses culture in that way. If you'd read this thread, you'll have seen quotes from Palestinian academics criticising these attempts to culturally isolate Israel. But then, ye don't want to hear THOSE voices. It's an essential part of your worldview that ye only seek out those who already agree with ye.

So, basically, they should've put up both flags?

Are those who are actually commemorating the Nakba going to do that?

I can happily attend films from almost any country in the world – no matter how tyrannical its government – and do so freely without harassment. If any cinema in Dublin dares to show an Israeli film, it is targeted by a small but very hostile group who stand either side of the door and verbally harass people on the way in and out. The same goes for when Israeli artists are performing in Ireland.

Dervish and boycott of Israel - The Irish Times - Tue, May 08, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by yanshuf View Post
    Maybe these terror attacks have something to do with violence?
    Tragic and to be condemned and a small fraction of those killed on the other side by the IDF terrorists. Both sides have their terrorists, but resistance to Occupation is a human right.

If it was just a response to "terrorism" then why are you expelling the Israeli Bedouin from the Negev Desert to make way for Jewish settlers? Your state's real agenda is racial purity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    Gary,

The flying of the Israeli flag by that pub was a complete non-issue until a senior figure in the IPSC started tweeting about it and urging his followers to complain.

It was only then that folk such as me whose views are a little more nuanced decided to contact the pub and reassure it that the torrent of abuse heading its way was not typical of the public reaction. In tandem with this, the Israeli embassy got wind of the story and commented.

Why do ye have to do this? Why turn a flag or an Israeli film festival or the visit by a traditional music group to Israel into a supposed political statement? It's nothing of the sort and the fact that ye want to turn into something political is a non too subtle form of fascism. If you do this, it means x and x is A BAD THING. So don't do it or else.

Have you been to see any American films in the last couple of years? I can happily spin that into being an expression by you of American atrocities in Afghanistan and Iraq. Do you purchase Chinese products? Well then, there you are! Supporting the Chinese occupation of Tibet! How dare you?!

Please don't cite that comment by some Israeli politician from years back that they use culture to promote the country. That's the threadbarest of threadbare arguments. Every country uses culture in that way. If you'd read this thread, you'll have seen quotes from Palestinian academics criticising these attempts to culturally isolate Israel. But then, ye don't want to hear THOSE voices. It's an essential part of your worldview that ye only seek out those who already agree with ye.
    Gary Spedding - Why is anti-Israel extremist Gary Spedding affiliated with Holocaust Memorial Day Trust? CiF Watch

You are very upset by the flying of the Israeli flag, the pub obviously did it for a reason thats their business nobody gives a shyte when you dress up like this . Fully Palestinian i believe you call it

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment