Register to Comment
Page 396 of 425 FirstFirst ... 296 346 386394395396397398 406 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,960 of 4248
Like Tree953Likes

I know some irish like hating the british so side with argentina.
    But if Argentina versionof international law works you'd be ruled from london rather than from berlin
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Malvinas Argentinas

Quote Originally Posted by La Mano de D10 View Post
    Malvinas Argentinas
    Wow great convincing argument, no one can argue with that, thanks for that devastating contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by La Mano de D10 View Post
    Malvinas Argentinas
    Sock-puppet bumping up it's post count isn't exactly a headline.

Zero for originality.

Twitter
    @

What she said..

She said "One is always tempted to respond, but I think itís better to avoid it." So now. End of.

Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post
    She said "One is always tempted to respond, but I think itís better to avoid it." So now. End of.
    Is it? Is the debt paid by taking the ship or is it somehow valued and the amount subtracted leaving the rest of the debt outstanding? Is the cost of finding a buyer for the ship added to any remaining debt.

Meanwhile the poor Falklanders can look forward to more gung ho rhetoric from Kirchner to disguise the blow inflicted by Argentinas creditors.

It occurs to me, not that we have a navy as it were, that if we defaulted on the amount 'owed' to the EU would we face the same or similar treatment from the EU.

Does the irish goverment actually have anything worth seizing abroad?
    This isn't a goverment doing it is a "dodgy" investment firm that brought argie debt for pennies refused to be involved in the bankruptcy hearings and is now attemping to make $$$$$ by claiming the full value of the "debt".

Uk has a better claim to ireland
    Your nearer
    We owned you for longer
    We share the same language
    Etc etc makes perfect sense
    I belive its part of the bnp manifesto along with consription and hading out free assualt rifles to every adult male
    Would solve the northern ireland problem once and for all I suppose

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by likesfish View Post
    Does the irish goverment actually have anything worth seizing abroad?
    This isn't a goverment doing it is a "dodgy" investment firm that brought argie debt for pennies refused to be involved in the bankruptcy hearings and is now attemping to make $$$$$ by claiming the full value of the "debt".

Uk has a better claim to ireland
    Your nearer
    We owned you for longer
    We share the same language
    Etc etc makes perfect sense
    I belive its part of the bnp manifesto along with consription and hading out free assualt rifles to every adult male
    Would solve the northern ireland problem once and for all I suppose
    On the attempted comparison between the Falklands and Ireland, the former is not claiming independence, nor is there any claim that Falkland islanders are indigenous. In fact the islands have no indigenous population and never seem to have had, although some small evidence does suggest there was once at least a temporary human presense in pre-history.

On your initial point about what are described accuratly as 'vulture capital' firms, thats is and remains a controversial topic. But no more than the practice of taking money off lenders, then tearing up the loan agreement and refusing to pay. By way of comparison, do we default and let the Quinns and the Maple ten off the hook? It not possible to be selective and arbitrary in what is deemed acceptable behaviour, and this is especially true if defaulting countries expect to be able to return to international markets.

A democratically elected government screws up, through incompetance or corruption, and the government that replaces it grants itself a do-over and immunity from the consequences, and when its ready tells the world it prepared to start accepting cash loans again. That does not engender condifence. Perceptions cannot be massaged in the same way economic indicators apparently are in modern day Argentina. No facet of the sort of practice suggests that either the debt is truely absolved or that credability (and credit rating) is restored.

Now I am not calling the Argentine government criminal, but by way of comparison it is like a burgular forgiving themselves for robbing your house, and then later sending you a letter to arrange a time to come back a 'borrow' some more stuff. If that burgular has a loan shark chasing them (vulture capital fund), who is the bad guy supposed to be? I am also put in mind of a recent(ish) case of an African nation that sold its debt on the sly to one of these funds, when its international financial debt was on the cusp of being forgiven. A decent effort a making a few quid for a bit of slight of hand, but it does show how governments can behave like the dregs of capital markets. And with that we are back to the question of credability.

International markets act as a place where private and institutional investors meet with governments to exchange funds and arrange bonds. In that climate, which requires an amount of good faith, no party involved is superior to another one. When default is injected into the equation, that a govenrment represents the interests of more people is probable. But that it is or has been representing them well is not a given. Default also damages other countries investments, who act as lenders, so any argument that 'government' and 'people' are served best by default is erroneous.

I have no problem with Argentina defaulting. But I do take exception to the belief that they can do what they like thereafter, and pretend like nothing has happened. Vulture funds are unsavory, but they provide a necessary function in markets (like maggots do in nature). Without them the system would not work. If Argentina wants to avoid the maggots, it has to extracate itself entirely from international markets, which is not something they are prepared to do. But even before vulture funds come into play, Argentine debt is still being persued through the courts, because Argentinas' say so alone is not enough to absolve itself from its debts.

Recent reports suggest that hyper inflation is threatening to rear its ugly head again in Argentina. So what exactly was the advantage of default then? Vultures are circling over Argentina anyway, but they have not brought Argentina nearer the edge of another economic collapse. All default seems to have done is isolate the country from investors and negate any lesson the Argentines might have learned about practices that got them into a mess in the first place.

And again I would like to take the opportunity to highlight the fact some of our native 'celeb' economists, publically called for unilateral default as the only possible solution to Irelands economic problems. With economics graduates like that, its no wonder we got into the trouble we are in.
    Last edited by Thac0man; 23rd October 2012 at 11:33 AM.

It seems that Regan wanted the Brits to go easy on the Argies.

Former US President Ronald Reagan issued a last-ditch appeal to Margaret Thatcher to abandon her campaign to retake the Falklands. It was also revealed that former US President Ronald Reagan issued a last-ditch appeal to Ms Thatcher to abandon her campaign to retake the Falklands and to hand over the islands to international peacekeepers.Files show as British troops closed in on final victory, the US president made a late-night phone call to Ms Thatcher urging her not to completely humiliate the Argentines.However, his request fell on deaf ears as a defiant prime minister insisted that she had not sent a British task force across the globe just "to hand over the Queen's islands to a contact group".

Thatcher's Falklands fears revealed - UK papers - RT… News

Quote Originally Posted by rant_and_rave View Post
    It seems that Regan wanted the Brits to go easy on the Argies.

Former US President Ronald Reagan issued a last-ditch appeal to Margaret Thatcher to abandon her campaign to retake the Falklands. It was also revealed that former US President Ronald Reagan issued a last-ditch appeal to Ms Thatcher to abandon her campaign to retake the Falklands and to hand over the islands to international peacekeepers.Files show as British troops closed in on final victory, the US president made a late-night phone call to Ms Thatcher urging her not to completely humiliate the Argentines.However, his request fell on deaf ears as a defiant prime minister insisted that she had not sent a British task force across the globe just "to hand over the Queen's islands to a contact group".

Thatcher's Falklands fears revealed - UK papers - RT… News
    He and other Presidents learned she was right though didn't they. It didn't take them long to find a suitable case for invasion. If I remember correctly they didn't even mention to the Brits they were going in!

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment