Register to Comment
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Minister Josepha Madigan, a household name in her own home

I just heard that someone called Joseph Madigan has been named as a minister in the Cabinet by Leo Vardakar. Responsibility for Arts, Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht falls to the new minister.
    Minister Madigan has no track record in Arts, Culture, Heritage and is not an Irish Speaker.

So other than sitting in Shane Ross's back yard, what else does the new minster bring to the cabinet table? Is she a relative of the former local FF Councillor Paddy Madigan? Paddy was also a solicitor who's telex address was Madlaw.

He was on the far right and stood fore square behind developers and property rights.

Given that Frances Fitzgerald was in the centre of FG, does this now put someone in cabinet further to the right of Ross?

Is that possible?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

She's a daughter of said FF councillor.

Great to see a Foxrock resident and former Mt Anville girl as Minister for the Gaeltacht. I'm sure she'll bring a lot to that part of her portfolio

Does her household even know how to pronounce it ?

She's a practicing solicitor (with her brother) with an office in molesworth Street - very handy for the Dail. She gets 9k per year turning up money to cover her travel expenses to work. I wonder if she clocks in at the Dail to keep the turning up money, then goes and does some work in her office? Oh no, a legal eagle wouldn't do that.

I heard she came from an FF background alright.

Another legal head at the Cabinet table. They really do have this country by the scruff of its neck

From Paddy Madigan's IT obituary (I remember him well as hardcore pro-lifer etc though ironically I always thought he was FG):-

Paddy Madigan was born in Kiltimagh but lived for many years in Killadangan, Westport. He attended Kiltimagh National School, Murrisk National School, CBS, Westport, Rockwell College, UCG and UCD. He qualified as a solicitor and practiced in Dublin. His wife, Patricia Madigan, was a barrister.
    A keen rugby player in his youth, he captained Rockwell and UCG, and played for Lansdowne RFC. He was an enthusiastic tennis and squash player and in retirement took to sailing on his boat in Lough Derg. He was also secretary and member of the Mayo Association in Dublin in the 1960s.
    Six of their children entered the legal profession and his daughter Josepha Madigan is standing for Fine Gael in Stillorgan in next month’s local elections. He is survived by Patricia, his brother Sean and sister Barbara, his children, Patrick, Josepha, Fenella, Vanora, Carleen,and Edwina, and 10 grandchildren.

In Britain 14% of the Commons are lawyers . What is the figure here ??

Teachers, publicans, landlords etc.

Oh I forgot, Lawyers too now. How awful is that.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment