Register to Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Alan Shatter - Integrity, decency, truth-telling, fairness are no longer the obligatory moral touchstones for today’s Fine Gael leadership

I was taken aback when I read this earlier. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in the news.

Alan Shatter - Why i will not be a Fine Gael candidate in next general election.

From my personal experience over the last 3 years I could not in good conscience ask the electorate in Dublin- Rathdown constituency and those who have voted for me in the past to vote for an unreformed Fine Gael in the next dail.

I have reached this conclusion after lengthy reflection with a heavy heart after many years of Fine Gael membership, including over 30 years as a Fine Gael TD.

What used to be core Fine Gael values and principles of integrity, decency, truth-telling and fairness are no longer the obligatory moral touchstones for today’s Fine Gael leadership. This is so despite the decency of many individual FG Oireachtas members and the decency and idealism of the vast majority of Fine Gael members.

Too many decisions are made and actions taken in the shadows with a sense of impunity, too many off the record briefings take place to mislead and too many games of charades are played to deceive the public.

The total dependence of Fine Gael TDs on the leader of the day for political advancement and position and of Fine Gael senators on a FG Taoiseach for senate seats in a reduced parliamentary party has resulted in there being too few members of the parliamentary party willing to ask the hard questions and challenge wrong actions.

This is contributed to by Fine Gael election candidates, both inside and outside the houses of the Oireachtas, believing their prospects of election to be substantially dependent on the goodwill of those in FG headquarters who wield too much power and have been in charge for longer than is healthy in any democratic political party.

As a consequence, an unhealthy culture has developed in the party to which upholding values and principles is irrelevant with no real accountability for unacceptable conduct.
    Alan Shatter laying both boots into Leo Varadkar and the FG parliamentary party when announcing he wasn't going to stand again.

Integrity, decency, truth-telling, fairness are no longer the obligatory moral touchstones for today’s Fine Gael leadership
    He has just slaughtered the character of the entire FG parliamentary party with the above statement!

Alan has been a senior member of FG for a long, long time. Does he not bear some responsibility for it's current state?

I can't believe no one in FG has responded to this yet.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Shatter didn't like getting "sacked" by FG.
    It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    I was taken aback when I read this earlier. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in the news.

Alan Shatter laying both boots into Leo Varadkar and the FG parliamentary party when announcing he wasn't going to stand again.

He has just slaughtered the character of the entire FG parliamentary party with the above statement!

Alan has been a senior member of FG for a long, long time. Does he not bear some responsibility for it's current state?

Looking for a way to untruth the truth is not an easy task but I'm sure Leo's 5 million euro spin doctor quango will try and bludgeon Shatter.

That a senior party stalwart such as Shatter would not run again, then with his announcing statement basically say the his parliamentary party are without any morals and spend their time jockeying for positions is a shocking indictment of FG! And that is just part of statement.

I can't see this statement going unanswered.

Too many decisions are made and actions taken in the shadows with a sense of impunity, too many off the record briefings take place to mislead and too many games of charades are played to deceive the public.
    Shatter has another book in him I expect. I rather expected he'd have a few more Sunday columns by now.

I think the only change that's affected Shatter is having been thrown under the bus by his fellow dirtbags (deservedly).

Anyhow, if he runs as an independent, next time out, and this might well be a signal that we're near (Shatter's many things I don't like but he's not a total eejit), and he gets in, who's he going to support in how he votes, without appearing a total and manipulative hypocrite?

He should stick with writing smut, that's what he was put on earth to do.

Thought he was dead or consigned to FG back benches or isn't that the same thing.

So who now will be the TD for Tel Aviv ?

That a senior party stalwart such as Shatter would not run again, then with his announcing statement basically say the his parliamentary party are without any morals and spend their time jockeying for positions is a shocking indictment of FG! And that is just part of statement.

I can't see this statement going unanswered.
    FG sacked Shatter, that's his problem.

They are waiting for Vacuous Windbag Varadkars propaganda unit to come up with a new script!

Leo loves squandering tax payers money!
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/1473559/t...ayers-e200000/
    THE head of the Taoiseach’s Strategic Communications Unit will rake in a ­salary of up to nearly €140,000.
    Public relations guru John Concannon will be earning at the assistant secretary grade, which ranges between €122,313 and €139,728
    Also drafted into Leo Varadkar’s PR team was Andrea Pappin — who headed up Ireland’s Brexit information service and was formerly involved in the Government’s jobs action plan.She’ll enjoy an assistant principal higher grade salary of between €83,519 and €102,212.

Quote Originally Posted by Seán E. Ryan View Post
    I think the only change that's affected Shatter is having been thrown under the bus by his fellow dirtbags (deservedly).

Anyhow, if he runs as an independent, next time out, and this might well be a signal that we're near (Shatter's many things I don't like but he's not a total eejit), and he gets in, who's he going to support in how he votes, without appearing a total and manipulative hypocrite?

He should stick with writing smut, that's what he was put on earth to do.
    "who's he going to support in how he votes" ?
    Michael Lowry no doubt

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment