Register to Comment
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 243
Like Tree145Likes
  1. #1
    Fullforward Fullforward is offline
    Fullforward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,442

    "“We are known as the home for the handouts" - Fine Gael Councillor

    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is coming under increasing pressure to condemn “racist” comments made by a Limerick Fine Gael councillor.

    Councillor Stephen Keary, is the father-in-law of junior minister Patrick O’Donovan and has defended comments in which he suggested welfare recipients from Eastern Europe see Ireland as “easy pickings”.

    “We are known as the home for the handouts. They see us as easy pickings,” said Mr Keary.

    “People have come here from Eastern Europe for the handouts. It has become a huge problem.”

    A spokesman for Mr Varadkar said the Taoiseach had been briefed on the matter

    The Councilor in question Mr Keary, continued to defend his comments yesterday, stating: “I stand over everything I said.”

    Is he Racist, are his comments now common currency in Ireland? Is it acceptable?

    Should he be elevated to the position of Mayor as is presently proposed?


    Leo Varadkar pressured to condemn
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    Erudite Caveman Erudite Caveman is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,704

    Quote Originally Posted by Fullforward View Post
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is coming under increasing pressure to condemn “racist” comments made by a Limerick Fine Gael councillor.

    Councillor Stephen Keary, is the father-in-law of junior minister Patrick O’Donovan and has defended comments in which he suggested welfare recipients from Eastern Europe see Ireland as “easy pickings”.

    “We are known as the home for the handouts. They see us as easy pickings,” said Mr Keary.

    “People have come here from Eastern Europe for the handouts. It has become a huge problem.”

    A spokesman for Mr Varadkar said the Taoiseach had been briefed on the matter

    The Councilor in question Mr Keary, continued to defend his comments yesterday, stating: “I stand over everything I said.”

    Is he Racist, are his comments now common currency in Ireland? Is it acceptable?

    Should he be elevated to the position of Mayor as is presently proposed?


    Leo Varadkar pressured to condemn
    Shouldn't the first question we ask be 'Is he right?'. If he is right, then it is acceptable, because it has to be acceptable to tell the truth.

    I thing he is wrong though. I googled 'the home for the handouts' and the only thing that came up was his quote.

    “When a person from another country comes into our country without work, and who has never worked before, they do it for the social welfare benefit and all the trimmings which go with it.

    “They are nothing more than social welfare tourists who are improving their status and getting more money than they would in other jurisdictions.”
    Does he have any figures to show how many people come from Eastern Europe and have just claimed SW and never worked here? A huge problem would suggest huge numbers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Socratus O' Pericles Socratus O' Pericles is offline
    Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27,786

    As with everything I'd like to see his facts, evidence and workings. This stuff he stands over surely has an evidential basis.





    Though I imagine it all has a touch of Scrodinger's immigrant about it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    macnessa macnessa is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    495

    It is not racist to express such views. Now when it comes to who the recipients of real major handouts are, namely Africans, why didn't this man express the same views? Is it perhaps that in the case of Africans, political correctness rules the roost.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Fullforward Fullforward is offline
    Fullforward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,442

    Quote Originally Posted by Erudite Caveman View Post
    Shouldn't the first question we ask be 'Is he right?'. If he is right, then it is acceptable, because it has to be acceptable to tell the truth.

    I thing he is wrong though. I googled 'the home for the handouts' and the only thing that came up was his quote.
    No, the first question should be whatever comes into your mind. People react differently to such emotional issues.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Fullforward Fullforward is offline
    Fullforward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,442

    Quote Originally Posted by macnessa View Post
    It is not racist to express such views. Now when it comes to who the recipients of real major handouts are, namely Africans, why didn't this man express the same views? Is it perhaps that in the case of Africans, political correctness rules the roost.
    Do you have a link to figures for that?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    eoghanacht eoghanacht is offline
    eoghanacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    36,533

    Is he as vocal about the handouts Redacted gets from FG??
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    Socratus O' Pericles Socratus O' Pericles is offline
    Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27,786

    Quote Originally Posted by macnessa View Post
    It is not racist to express such views. Now when it comes to who the recipients of real major handouts are, namely Africans, why didn't this man express the same views? Is it perhaps that in the case of Africans, political correctness rules the roost.
    This is going to be a doozy, slàn go fóill.....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    Erudite Caveman Erudite Caveman is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,704

    Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Is he as vocal about the handouts Redacted gets from FG??
    That is p1ss poor whataboutery.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    realistic1 realistic1 is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,577

    Quote Originally Posted by Fullforward View Post
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is coming under increasing pressure to condemn “racist” comments made by a Limerick Fine Gael councillor.

    Councillor Stephen Keary, is the father-in-law of junior minister Patrick O’Donovan and has defended comments in which he suggested welfare recipients from Eastern Europe see Ireland as “easy pickings”.

    “We are known as the home for the handouts. They see us as easy pickings,” said Mr Keary.

    “People have come here from Eastern Europe for the handouts. It has become a huge problem.”

    A spokesman for Mr Varadkar said the Taoiseach had been briefed on the matter

    The Councilor in question Mr Keary, continued to defend his comments yesterday, stating: “I stand over everything I said.”

    Is he Racist, are his comments now common currency in Ireland? Is it acceptable?

    Should he be elevated to the position of Mayor as is presently proposed?


    Leo Varadkar pressured to condemn
    Wheter it is true or not, this guy has ensured his re-election, simple as!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment