Register to Comment
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

"“We are known as the home for the handouts" - Fine Gael Councillor

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is coming under increasing pressure to condemn “racist” comments made by a Limerick Fine Gael councillor.

Councillor Stephen Keary, is the father-in-law of junior minister Patrick O’Donovan and has defended comments in which he suggested welfare recipients from Eastern Europe see Ireland as “easy pickings”.

“We are known as the home for the handouts. They see us as easy pickings,” said Mr Keary.

“People have come here from Eastern Europe for the handouts. It has become a huge problem.”

A spokesman for Mr Varadkar said the Taoiseach had been briefed on the matter

The Councilor in question Mr Keary, continued to defend his comments yesterday, stating: “I stand over everything I said.”

Is he Racist, are his comments now common currency in Ireland? Is it acceptable?

Should he be elevated to the position of Mayor as is presently proposed?

Leo Varadkar pressured to condemn
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Fullforward View Post
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is coming under increasing pressure to condemn “racist” comments made by a Limerick Fine Gael councillor.

Councillor Stephen Keary, is the father-in-law of junior minister Patrick O’Donovan and has defended comments in which he suggested welfare recipients from Eastern Europe see Ireland as “easy pickings”.

“We are known as the home for the handouts. They see us as easy pickings,” said Mr Keary.

“People have come here from Eastern Europe for the handouts. It has become a huge problem.”

The Councilor in question Mr Keary, continued to defend his comments yesterday, stating: “I stand over everything I said.”

Is he Racist, are his comments now common currency in Ireland? Is it acceptable?

Shouldn't the first question we ask be 'Is he right?'. If he is right, then it is acceptable, because it has to be acceptable to tell the truth.

I thing he is wrong though. I googled 'the home for the handouts' and the only thing that came up was his quote.

“When a person from another country comes into our country without work, and who has never worked before, they do it for the social welfare benefit and all the trimmings which go with it.

“They are nothing more than social welfare tourists who are improving their status and getting more money than they would in other jurisdictions.”
    Does he have any figures to show how many people come from Eastern Europe and have just claimed SW and never worked here? A huge problem would suggest huge numbers.

As with everything I'd like to see his facts, evidence and workings. This stuff he stands over surely has an evidential basis.

Though I imagine it all has a touch of Scrodinger's immigrant about it.

It is not racist to express such views. Now when it comes to who the recipients of real major handouts are, namely Africans, why didn't this man express the same views? Is it perhaps that in the case of Africans, political correctness rules the roost.

Quote Originally Posted by Erudite Caveman View Post
    Shouldn't the first question we ask be 'Is he right?'. If he is right, then it is acceptable, because it has to be acceptable to tell the truth.

I thing he is wrong though. I googled 'the home for the handouts' and the only thing that came up was his quote.
    No, the first question should be whatever comes into your mind. People react differently to such emotional issues.

Quote Originally Posted by macnessa View Post
    It is not racist to express such views. Now when it comes to who the recipients of real major handouts are, namely Africans, why didn't this man express the same views? Is it perhaps that in the case of Africans, political correctness rules the roost.
    Do you have a link to figures for that?

Is he as vocal about the handouts Redacted gets from FG??

Quote Originally Posted by macnessa View Post
    This is going to be a doozy, slàn go fóill.....

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Is he as vocal about the handouts Redacted gets from FG??
    That is p1ss poor whataboutery.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullforward View Post

Wheter it is true or not, this guy has ensured his re-election, simple as!

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment