Register to Comment
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    I think the housing shortage in Ireland is the result of a lot more reasons than immigration whatever way you look at it.

For at least 5 years there have been loud and persistent warnings about a looming housing crisis... and as per feckin' usual... we end up playing catch up (with all the short cuts and bullsh!t that entails) because for whatever reason... we seem incapable of planning anything in Ireland...
    35% of all rent subsidy goes to non-Irish citizens.
    Last edited by Clanrickard; 19th June 2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: meant non-Irish not non EU
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    33% of all rent subsidy goes to non-EU citizens.
    You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months in one, or a combination, of the following:

Private rented accommodation (you must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting)
    Accommodation for homeless people
    An institution, for example, a hospital, care home or place of detention
    Or

If you have been assessed by your local housing authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing in the last 12 months. (see question 6)
    In addition to these requirements, the officer dealing with your claim must be satisfied that:

your accommodation is suited to your needs.
    you are habitually resident in the State.
    the amount of rent you pay is within the maximum rent limit for your area and family size.
    if your accommodation is provided through the Capital Assistance Scheme, the amount of Rent Supplement payable does not exceed €55 per week for single people and €60 per week for couples.

I work in an area I get to see who gets what. Eastern Europeans get a lot. That's all I'll say.

You will not qualify for Rent Supplement if:

You work full-time (more than 29 hours per week) unless you have been deemed as eligible for the Rental Accommodation Scheme by the local housing authority. (see question 6)
    Your spouse or partner is engaged in full time employment.
    you are in full time education (some exceptions apply).
    you are involved in a trade dispute. However your dependant spouse and dependant children are not excluded from SWA for the period of the strike.
    you are living in accommodation provided by a local authority.
    you are living in accommodation provided by the Health Service Executive.

you are living in accommodation provided by a body or organisation which provides services on behalf of, or similar to, or ancillary to the Health Service Executive, where that body uses residential care staff in providing such services and also receives a subvention payment from the Minister for Health in respect of you.
    you are living in accommodation provided by a voluntary housing body where that body receives a subsidy under the rental subsidy scheme.
    you are receiving a rent allowance from the Department of Social Protection due to being a tenant in decontrolled rented accommodation.
    you are admitted to an institution for a period of in excess of 13 weeks .
    you have been excluded from the local authority housing list .
    you have left local authority accommodation without satisfying the officer dealing with your claim there was good reason for doing so .
    you refuse two offers of social housing from a Local Authority within a 12 month period.
    you are not lawfully in the State.
    you have made an application for asylum under the Refugee Act, 1996 and your application is awaiting final decision by the Minister for Justice and Equality .
    you have made an application under the Aliens Act, 1935 to remain in the State and your application has not been determined.
    your landlord does not provide their Tax Reference Number or a valid reason for not having a Tax Reference Number.

I think the housing shortage in Ireland is the result of a lot more reasons than immigration whatever way you look at it.

For at least 5 years there have been loud and persistent warnings about a looming housing crisis... and as per feckin' usual... we end up playing catch up (with all the short cuts and bullsh!t that entails) because for whatever reason... we seem incapable of planning anything in Ireland...
    For 5 years prior to that 5 years, we had loud and persistent warnings about government interference in the housing market.

There is no getting away from the fact that the catastrophic collapse of the entire residential construction industry and market beginning in 2007 is responsible for this, not policies in the past 8 or so years.

Ironically, it is the surprisingly quick recovery of the rest of the economy that has caused the demand to ramp up so strongly. And that is something that the loud and persistent were 100% wrong on.

Link???

Regardless... Keary's comments refer to EU immigration.

I just don't buy the BS that immigration is the root of all our ills.

It exacerbates issues that already exist and have existed for decades in incompetent Ireland... but it's lazy arsed bias to focus on it or to pretend it's THE issue... imo.

Plenty of immigrants work hard and pay plenty of taxes here...

To think if they all fecked off everything would be rosey is nonsense imo.

The issues are systemic imo... and always have been...

Quote Originally Posted by ionsniffer View Post
    I work in an area I get to see who gets what. Eastern Europeans get a lot. That's all I'll say.
    Do they just have to show their special 'Eastern European' card to get the lots?

Just wondering how it works. I'm sure you can tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by ionsniffer View Post
    Well that's convincing, irrefutable I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher2 View Post
    Take also the "back to school" allowance. Once you qualify under the income thresholds, ALL children in the family receive it irrespective of whether they are of school going age or not.
    You may qualify for the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance if you are:

Getting a social welfare payment (including Family Income Supplement and Back to Work Family Dividend) or a Health Service Executive payment, or
    Taking part in an approved employment scheme (back to work scheme) including JobBridge or
    Taking part in a recognised education or training course, or
    Involved in an Area Partnership Scheme, or
    Attending a FET (formerly Fás), Fáilte Ireland or LES training scheme
    Your child must be aged between 4-17 on or before 30 September 2017. If they are aged between 18-22 they must be in full-time second-level education in a recognised school or college.

Link???

Regardless... Keary's comments refer to EU immigration.

I just don't buy the BS that immigration is the root of all our ills.

It exacerbates issues that already exist and have existed for decades in incompetent Ireland... but it's lazy arsed bias to focus on it or to pretend it's THE issue... imo.

Plenty of immigrants work hard and pay plenty of taxes here...

To think if they all fecked off everything would be rosey is nonsense imo.

The issues are systemic imo... and always have been...
    There needs to be a law linking spending on public services to increases in population. The planning laws and the professions that leach off planning delays are also part of the problem. However the question of the costs of immigration to public services must be urgently addressed.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment