Register to Comment
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 267
Like Tree158Likes
  1. #21
    HarshBuzz HarshBuzz is offline
    HarshBuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,639

    Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    To my mind Noonan has been the biggest disappointment of the last government - aside from Kenny who let him off the leash to wage war against the tax payer..
    Really?

    Noonan who came in as Finance Minister under the troika and turned around the budget deficit numbers, halved unemployment, oversaw the strongest growth in the EU, saw off the Troika....he was the biggest disappointment?

    I suspect you're letting your analysis be ruled by the latest headlines, not the facts.

    I would have said the biggest disappointment of the last government was Howlin. The word 'reform' was in his job title after all.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    Tawdy Tawdy is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,148

    Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    Really?

    Noonan who came in as Finance Minister under the troika and turned around the budget deficit numbers, halved unemployment, oversaw the strongest growth in the EU, saw off the Troika....he was the biggest disappointment?

    I suspect you're letting your analysis be ruled by the latest headlines, not the facts.

    I would have said the biggest disappointment of the last government was Howlin. The word 'reform' was in his job title after all.

    Noonan is a parasitic slug who has feasted off the public purse and enriched the 1% even more with his austerity for the 99% The sooner that slug goes the better for this country.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    james toney james toney is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    15,112

    Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    To my mind Noonan has been the biggest disappointment of the last government - aside from Kenny who let him off the leash to wage war against the tax payer.

    Every policy Noonan has espoused and every action and inaction has enriched property developers and vulture funds - passing the legislation to enable REITs was the first real indication of his intentions, then the charity status of vulture funds, then Project Eagle.

    He has done this under the guise of having to get capital into Ireland and vulture funds serve to pick at the carcass, except in this case Noonan serves up the prime rib-eye steaks to the vulture funds and expects 7000 homeless people to live in the carcass, all paid for by the tax payer.
    Not forgetting this also....Not much will happen as the Gardai are investigating anoter corrupt arm of the state.

    Gardaí investigating Michael Noonan
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    Burnout Burnout is offline
    Burnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7,080
    Twitter
    @

    Will the adverse findings adversely affect his pension or entitlements....I do not think so. None of them care what comes out now as they have the necks to stroll about town apres any scandal with their heads high....smirking knowingly to themselves that they bled as much as they could for themselves.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    Disillusioned democrat Disillusioned democrat is online now
    Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,539

    Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    Really?

    Noonan who came in as Finance Minister under the troika and turned around the budget deficit numbers, halved unemployment, oversaw the strongest growth in the EU, saw off the Troika....he was the biggest disappointment?

    I suspect you're letting your analysis be ruled by the latest headlines, not the facts.

    I would have said the biggest disappointment of the last government was Howlin. The word 'reform' was in his job title after all.
    I think if you look back at my posts on REITs and vulture funds over the past 3 years you will see a consistent theme in my disbelief that Noonan was allowed to do this. A few posters came on to defend REITs and NAMA at the time but as the veil has slipped, the charitable status and the job lot, fire sale price "disposals" of prime property to vulture funds and REITs accelerated these voices slowly died off.

    Noonan didn't make oil cheap or the US/UK economy boom - these brought us out of recession. I don't imagine he'll take the rap when we're back in the doldrums in 5 years with the crown jewels well and truly sold off.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    Disillusioned democrat Disillusioned democrat is online now
    Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,539

    Quote Originally Posted by Tawdy View Post
    Noonan is a parasitic slug who has feasted off the public purse and enriched the 1% even more with his austerity for the 99% The sooner that slug goes the better for this country.
    Damage is done, the family silver pawned and Noonan will collect accumulated pensions that would make an Irish charity CEO blush.

    The thing I don't get about Noonan is WHY? Why did he do this - was it ideological fervour or is there something corrupt about it - it'll be interesting to watch his offsprings' careers over the next few years long after he's shuttled off his mortal coil.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    Disillusioned democrat Disillusioned democrat is online now
    Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,539

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    Will the adverse findings adversely affect his pension or entitlements....I do not think so. None of them care what comes out now as they have the necks to stroll about town apres any scandal with their heads high....smirking knowingly to themselves that they bled as much as they could for themselves.
    If there was an "angry" button I'd be mashing it right now....you're dead right, alas.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    hammer hammer is offline
    hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,655

    Probably at this stage the greatest Minister of Finance in our history.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    Disillusioned democrat Disillusioned democrat is online now
    Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,539

    Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Probably at this stage the greatest Minister of Finance in our history.
    That one line summarises what's worst and dysfunctional about irish politics.

    We appear blind to arguments that don't suit preconceived biases and/or turn a blind eye to failure when we personally benefit from it.

    Noonan has done some very good work - but that's not really the case. He has failed miserably in many aspects of his job and there has to be a could of suspicion over him, but segments of the population refuse to see that.

    Certainly if I was a "lucky" shareholder in one of the REITs, or had my pension in one of the vulture funds I'd say he was brilliant - a visionary even - but for 99% of the population he's the old guy with the funny voice who has cost the state hundreds of millions in one deal alone, so probably billions overall, at a time when we're delivering crap services but still taxing workers like Scandanavians.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    Apple in Eden Apple in Eden is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    644

    Quote Originally Posted by Tawdy View Post
    Noonan is a parasitic slug who has feasted off the public purse and enriched the 1% even more with his austerity for the 99% The sooner that slug goes the better for this country.
    Not much point really he will just be replaced by another slug
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment