Register to Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Should we be worried about Fine Gael

Over the past months we've seen an increase of Fine Gael supporters backing their "Party" on various threads. Nothing wrong with that. However, the way this is done has left questions that I feel needs discussion.

Given the history of Fine Gael, should we be worried by the fanaticism of supporters who will seemingly do anything to score political points. As most will be aware this ranges from the usual personal abuse to being called "Shinners" and even the use of deceased people's names at the drop of a hat which I find particularly distasteful.

The undying devotion to the "Party" leaves me wondering what exactly would it take for Fine Gael supporters to say of their "Party".... that's totally wrong? It would be great from the to get the views of Fine Gael people on here without this turning into a slagging match.

My point of view is that I will vote for a party who's policies I feel will be good for the Country and everyone in it, the local community and, who I believe will carry out those policies.... whichever party that is. I would not follow a "Party" blindly regardless of their current policy like some follow football teams.

Some References:

Fine Gael - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of Fine Gael

Fine Gael (political party, Ireland) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Also, just to be clear, I voted for Fine Gael in the last GE.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

More fool you. Give them a chance. They are not used to power. It'll simmer down once the novelty wears off ...

The devotion to the party of some on this site is bordering on the fanatical. It's very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    The devotion to ALL the parties of some on this site is bordering on the fanatical. It's very sad.
    Just changed it a little.

Should we be worried about Fine Gael? No

I'd be more worried about the electorate.

Quote Originally Posted by emulator View Post
    Over the past months we've seen an increase of Fine Gael supporters backing their "Party" on various threads. Nothing wrong with that. However, the way this is done has left questions that I feel needs discussion.

Given the history of Fine Gael, should we be worried by the fanaticism of supporters who will seemingly do anything to score political points. As most will be aware this ranges from the usual personal abuse to being called "Shinners" and even the use of deceased people's names at the drop of a hat which I find particularly distasteful.

The undying devotion to the "Party" leaves me wondering what exactly would it take for Fine Gael supporters to say of their "Party".... that's totally wrong? It would be great from the to get the views of Fine Gael people on here without this turning into a slagging match.

My point of view is that I will vote for a party who's policies I feel will be good for the Country and everyone in it, the local community and, who I believe will carry out those policies.... whichever party that is. I would not follow a "Party" blindly regardless of their current policy like some follow football teams.

Some References:

Fine Gael - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of Fine Gael

Fine Gael (political party, Ireland) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Also, just to be clear, I voted for Fine Gael in the last GE.
    Neat footwork to avoid the 'Blueshirt' thing. We might worry about their present competence, but not their past errors; after all if we can put SF's immediate past behind us, why drag up events of 70 or 80 years ago?

With cheerleaders like this FG should be worried about Fine Gaelers
    Irish Daily Mail breaking big story on Minister Phil Hogan!

Here's another gem from the same poster
    Offaly FG Cllr on Tax Defaulters list for 125k

Some political supporters feel like they have to blindly support their party no matter how disreputable they behave. But I would have more closely associated that loyalty with FF.

I've voted for FG in most GE's. But for Euro/Presidential elections I've broken ranks and voted for non-FG candidates. If a right of centre party were to emerge before the nexy GE I would desert them in a flash. FG are products of the parish pump political system as created by Fianna Fail, and I would happily support a party who aren't part of that system.

Edo was very closely associated with FG, and has left recently.

I have voted for them, They have always worried me, The way this government backed Clare Co Council with the suggestion that their action was reasonable in trying to stop the payment of grants to to students whose parents had not paid the household charge,,
    This obviously was tried without legal advice. It took students to force the government to restore sanity.
    Trying to bring in am unequal two tier system of paying teachers must also be tested in the courts. Just because money is short is no reason for a government to abuse democracy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment