Register to Comment
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

See Irish Times revisionism continues - its now Béal na Blá!! Maybe short for "blather"!!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

The appearance of Enda Kenny to give the oration for Michael Collins Looks to have been a bit of a damp squib,
    The crowds expected certainly did not turn up and the media certainly have been objective to his speech.

The Irish times told us it was a departure form the healing process started when Brian Lenihan spoke there two years ago,

Mr Kenny used the words that Collins was assassinated,rather strong for a time for healing.

Mr Kenny tells us that Collins was a doer. He tells us that pursuit of excellence.involves, honesty, respect, ethics, passion, compassion.
    leadership and responsibility.

I would love to see Mr Kenny try a few of them.

Today there is a more direct plea in the letters page of the Independent to Mr Kenny. Fine Gael spent 10 years telling us how different things would be when they got back into office.

Mr Kenny went back on his word, he now has more in common with Brian Cowen
    Mr Kenny gave false hope to the people and then failed to meet even the lowest
    expectation
    Mr Kenny has proved he cannot meet any of Collins standards

Whatever Mr Kenny things about our sovereignty,

The most important job he has on his hands is employment for our people
    Sovereignty, is of little use if we have no young people to build our country again..

well said turds, SF troll.

Quote Originally Posted by politico24 View Post
    Liam Lynch died four years before there was an FF. Do you think this means FF (and members of other parties for that matter) cannot honour Lynch?

Wolfe Tone died over a century before there was a Sinn Féin (and a rather dilute one at that). I guess Gerry Adams should be barred form daring to pay tribute to Tone, should he?

The bitterness of non Fine Gaelers that FG dare honour the memory of a damn good Irishman beggars belief. You know, we are all Irish and by paying tribute to somebody you are not planting a flag of conquest on their legacy. Time to show some flipping maturity

In fairness to FG, they have had a wide spectrum of speakers at Beal na Bláth. When will Sinn Féin or Fianna Fáil show the same sort of conciliatory gestures?

Oh, and to question why Fine Gael, the pro-Treaty party in 1933 (itself the successor to the pro-Treaty party of 1923-32 which was founded by Collins', that is the the man who signed the Treaty that they supported, closest colleagues), shows an absolutely pathetic revision of history on the part of people who continue to begrudge FG. It wasn't so long ago that FFers and SFers tried to have Collins's contribution airbrushed from History ('Facts about Ireland' in 1966 being a prime example). It's good to see he is now admired by the various traditions on the island.

As for tonic's Paddy comments, if that's the best criticism of Enda Kenny's premiership you can make, he's not doing too bad (especially in comparison to the likes of CJH, Bertie and Cowen).
    Great post.

It is hard to compare history with a distance of a century,

It would be possible to visualize Collins as Toiseach,

It would be next to impossible to visualize Kenny with a gun
    in his hand killing catholic R.I.C men,

After all, A verbal challenge from Vin Browne was too much for the Toiseach.

surprised the old canard that Collins was shot by one of his own did not surface from one of west Cork "historians" here, somebody like McPeake etc.

Really liked this bit from Vinnie in todays IT

"Enda went on to use the occasion to talk about how another heroic figure had done and was doing great things for Ireland: himself.

He said: “I refuse to allow what is in reality a temporary, hand-me-down financial straitjacket, damage what will be a magnificent future for our country, for our people and for our children’s children,” by which I think he meant he won’t allow the EU, ECB and IMF programme to damage our future
    ."

Collins might well wonder at Kenny's sorry State - The Irish Times - Wed, Aug 22, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Really liked this bit from Vinnie in todays IT

"Enda went on to use the occasion to talk about how another heroic figure had done and was doing great things for Ireland: himself.

He said: “I refuse to allow what is in reality a temporary, hand-me-down financial straitjacket, damage what will be a magnificent future for our country, for our people and for our children’s children,” by which I think he meant he won’t allow the EU, ECB and IMF programme to damage our future
    ."

Collins might well wonder at Kenny's sorry State - The Irish Times - Wed, Aug 22, 2012
    Fair play to Viincent for showing up Enda's,and Fine Gael's weasel words.
    Good article.

Good to know Vincent is still keeping an eye on those guys.

At least we still have someone who will give us the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    surprised the old canard that Collins was shot by one of his own did not surface from one of west Cork "historians" here, somebody like McPeake etc.
    A West Cork historian Meda Ryan nailed that one like she nailed Hart and his seance approach to primary history.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment